UKC

Beal Cobra vs. Mammut Genesis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RocknRoll 12 Sep 2007
How would people rate the Beal Cobra against the Mammut Genesis? I want to use them for uk trad and winter ice.
 dustbuddy 12 Sep 2007
In reply to RocknRoll: Sorry to jump onto this topic but I was thinking of either the Genesis or Infinity Sprint 8.4mm for the same requirements. Any thoughts good people of UKC?
 RBK 12 Sep 2007
In reply to RocknRoll: Get Mammut half ropes everytime, they're very durable. All the ones I've had have handled well throughout their life. I've seen Beals wear out really quickly, especially Icelines which seem to be semi-disposable!
 IainSunderland 12 Sep 2007
In reply to RocknRoll:

I can recommend the Genesis. Great handling etc. I have no experience with the Cobras. I found mysef making the same Genesis v. Cobra decision a few years ago and I plumped for the Genesis on the basis that (in my experience) I generally like Mammut ropes and there was no reason to experiment with Beal. I now have a Beal Top Gun II (single) and find it to have quite a lot of stretch in it, although it does handle as well as a Mammut. That's all I know about Beal.
In reply to RocknRoll: I've had a Beal Cobra for a couple of years now and really rate it. I'll certainly buy another one when it finally wears out.

Although they are very good, it's a shame that Mammut ropes dominate the gear shops in the UK - it's good to have some choice! My personal favourites are:

- 70m sport single rope, Mammut Revelation
- 60m trad half rope, Beal Cobra
- 30m wall rope, Roca ? (can't remember the model)
 Mystery Toad 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Agreed. Beal is choice.
Unless Mammut has made some considerable improvements in recent years (I haven't laid my mitts on one in a while) I for one would favour Beal. Very supple, reasonable price, easy to coil, yadda yadda.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...