UKC

NEWS: The BBC and UKClimbing.com Working Together...Nearly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2007
Earlier this week Richard Fox broke the news that a mysterious stomach bug was rampant on Lundy island at UKClimbing.com. This was picked up by a BBC journalist, Jo Irving, who registered at UKClimbing.com and has now written a news piece about the outbreak quoting several ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 thomasadixon 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

A news item about news! Pretty cool though.
 CJD 14 Sep 2007

it's good to know that the world's media know where to come for their climbing news! hurrah!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: You dont even get a link over on the right!
Geoffrey Michaels 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

You reckon? The news is on here is half the time just what the luvvy masses want to beleive. I don't mean UKC itself, just what others consider newsworthy.
 CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Donald M:

okay. Was just trying to be cheerful.

<adopts sombre pose>
<slumps off>

hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> it's good to know that the world's media know where to come for their climbing news! hurrah!

The tentacles of the fourth estate are everywhere. Watching, waiting, listening, misspelling....
 CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:

guffaw!
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Apparently they have a correspondent permanently sited outside Norrie's house, on the offchance of a big story breaking...
 CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:

I, for one, feel proud that they spend my licence fee thus.

oh - wait - I don't have a TV.

rats.

gingerkate 14 Sep 2007
Usually when the BBC news uses an outside source for a story they link to that source on the right of the page. I see they have put some such links on this item. But no link to ukclimbing. Tut tut, Jo.
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Perhaps Mick should run a news story encouraging us to renew our television licences!

hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

Has anyone asked her to put one on? She could do it in about five seconds.
 thomasadixon 14 Sep 2007

Just noticed a mistake - "Christine" Lenehan is actually Christian - BBCs not too diligent in it's reporting it seems.
 gingerkate 14 Sep 2007
In reply to thomasadixon:
Journalists have to get something wrong, it's part of their training. It's in deference to Allah or something I think, like teh carpets.
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to thomasadixon)
> Journalists have to get something wrong, it's part of their training. It's in deference to Allah or something I think, like teh carpets.

So, you are a journalist...I suspected as much....
 gingerkate 14 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:
Good point. I've emailed her and said I reckon she should include a link.

I don't think I'm a journalist but will watch myself carefully just in case...
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to hutchm)

>
> I don't think I'm a journalist but will watch myself carefully just in case...

You can't be too careful...it can sneak up on you, you know. Next thing you know you'll be tipping them off about Mick's exclusives.
 Rob Naylor 17 Sep 2007
> Earlier this week Richard Fox broke the news that a mysterious stomach bug was rampant on Lundy island at UKClimbing.com. This was picked up by a BBC journalist, Jo Irving, who registered at UKClimbing.com and has now written a news piece about the outbreak quoting several ...
>
> Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

To be accurate, Mick, I believe *I* "broke the news" of the bug back on 2nd September:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=259387&v=1#3829726

So Nerrr :-P
 gingerkate 17 Sep 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor:
You're just miffed that Ms Irving didn't include you in her report. But you should be glad, she'd probably have called you Roberta or something

Btw (in case anyone's interested) her response to my 'why no link to ukclimbing?' was 'I didn't link to ukclimbing as I didn't mention ukclimbing by name in the article'. Well, duh...
 Rob Naylor 17 Sep 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
> You're just miffed that Ms Irving didn't include you in her report. But you should be glad, she'd probably have called you Roberta or something

True..my chance of fame as the Squittering Ogre of Lundy gone forever. being a roberta would have been an advantage...would have meant I could wear a skirt, so less hassle getting "ready" when the urge struck (too much information?).

> Btw (in case anyone's interested) her response to my 'why no link to ukclimbing?' was 'I didn't link to ukclimbing as I didn't mention ukclimbing by name in the article'. Well, duh...

Journalists, eh? Then they wonder why they're trusted only marginally more than politicians!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...