UKC

The indestructable compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian 03 Oct 2002
Over the past year ive broken two very good compasses (my mate threw my rucksack down a scree slope on one occasion because he thought it would help our situation!!!!). I now need a new one but am reluctant to spent a lot of money on something that can be broken so easily so heres what i'm looking for
sighting compass
baseplate for mapwork
maybe one of those little screws that automatically adds the 5degrees etc
luminous needle
money no object
weight no object
IT MUST BE INDESTRUCTIBLE (ideally mainly consisting of metal)

All the shops seem to have the same crap
Any ideas or suggestions
 anonymouse 03 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian:
> weight no object
> IT MUST BE INDESTRUCTIBLE

A tree. Moss only grows on the north side. Takes a while to settle like.
pooman 03 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian: I think you should quit complaining about your mate throwing your handbag down a hill and start learning how to read maps. Whats the point in a compass if you can't even navigate!!!
 CENSORED 03 Oct 2002
In reply to anonymouse: Trees are easily destroyed, just look at the destruction of rain forest areas!!
 anonymouse 03 Oct 2002
In reply to CENSORED:
Oo. Good point! Better carry a spare.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian:
Get something cheap instead. All the gadgets aren't worth the money, and also have the effect of making the thing bigger and hence prone to breaking.
And a luminous needle is a waste of time, if it's that dark you need a torch anyway.
Instead of spending £200 on a single posh compass, spend it on 20 cheap compasses.
Martin Brierley 04 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian:

Have a look in your local ex army store.

If the compass has survived use with that lot, I can't see you hurting it in a hurry.
OP fert 04 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian: Suunto do some damn good compasses
 HeMa 04 Oct 2002
In reply to fert:

Yup, try either Suunto or Silva. Both make good compasses and atleast aren't that expencive up here in the Nordic countries.

Some good rugged models from Suunto might be something like the Scout XXX, pretty basic but works well and takes a beating. Personally even thoug I hike quite a lot in the local pirch forest (very dence and not that many trails, ok maeby a couple of rabbit trails) a usually use a small compass from Suunto that can be clipped to your your wristw*tch or at the side of the map.
 lewis 04 Oct 2002
In reply to HeMa: wristw*tch and wastw*ter
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2002
In reply to lewis:
And Nightw*tch of course.
Scunthorpe's OK though
Anita 04 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian: Silva do a compass that's in a little plastic case that folds into itself - I eventually got one of those after breaking 2 compasses in a year. Not broke so far.
 GrahamD 07 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian:

Get two cheapies and keep one in your first aid kit
 Carolyn 07 Oct 2002
In reply to Ian:

Sure you need a new compass, not a new mate?

What broke? My Silva 4's been through the washing machine recently and still seems to work - but it's not a sighting compass. But unless you're trying to draw maps, do you really need a sighting compass?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...