UKC

Gel saddle cover or padded shorts?(fao bikers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flicka 20 Sep 2007
Before I get shot down, I know this isnt an mtb forum etc but some bikers post and I am too shy to post on any of the cycling forums yet...

Just wondering how best to address my sore arse issue? What's more comfortable? What works, what doesn't? Does one's arse harden over time and not get quite so, er, tender?!

Ta, F.
 coinneach 20 Sep 2007

Yes, one's arse does harden but I also always wear padded shorts ( while riding my bike )
 Graham T 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Probably a new saddle, but definately padded shorts.
Don't bother with the cover, it will just slide around
OP Flicka 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Graham T:

Cheers, will avoid the cover then. Can't afford a new saddle, so I guess padded shorts it is!
 Graham T 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Try it, padded shorts definately do help
satori 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
>
> Just wondering how best to address my sore arse issue? What's more comfortable? What works, what doesn't?

what sort of soreness? skin soreness or deeper pain?

Try lots of saddles the one that came with your bike may just not fit YOU.
Good (multi panelled) padded cycling shorts help. Don't buy the cheapest.

gel covers often have soft gel that can move around within the cover.
the harder parts of your body (sit bones) force this gel to move. If it moves to under the softer parts of your body then this can exert pressure where a sadle isn't meant to.

> Does one's arse harden over time and not get quite so, er, tender?!

to some extent yes.
but the pain won't go away if you have a seat that doesn't fit.

there was a very similar question asked a couple of months ago, but i can't find it.
 Simon4 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: I'm glad you had the courage to ask that, I've often wondered what the best solution was to that well known dinosaur, the BrontSoSoreArse.
OP Flicka 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon4:

Haha brontsosorearse, nice one!

The undies in the link look good, but I'm blanching at forking out £20. Got some gloves today (fingerless) for £4.95 (kids ones but so comfy and fit properly unlike the adult ones).

Where does one get reasonably priced biking clothing such as padded undies/shorts etc?
OP Flicka 20 Sep 2007
In reply to satori:

The sort of pain that makes you go oompf when you get on the bike! Erm, not sure what category that falls under!

Interesting re gel covers. Does this also apply to gel saddles or is there no room for moving for the gel in them?
 Simon4 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

> The undies in the link look good

You do realise that all the blokes are dying to ask you what size?

Rather like the girl in an office I worked in once, who gave described her hobby as "women's rugby". Nobody ever dared to ask if she was the hooker.
 anansie 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

I found a pair of cycling short thingies online earlier in the month...they're called Campagnolo and although not tried them out on my bike yet..( been too busy climbing this month really) ..tried them on and they're nice and comfy..website is www.campagnolo.com
 steev 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

You can pick up some decent-ish shorts from Wiggle.com for under £20. I use a pair of dHb ones that cost about £15 from there for commuting and they're pretty good. The lycra's quite thin though so worth considerign using them as undershorts if you're a bit self conscious.
 mikecaffrey 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Gel saddle covers slip! In any case gel isn't the answer, it nestles in and rubs - get a decent saddle in your size and the problem will go away. Try the specialized BG ones, they make various sizes for ladies and men and are very comfy (though they don't look it). A spec dealer will give you good advice
 Chris Harris 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: Cure is as follows
Good pair of padded shorts
Time
Suspension seat post can help
 climbingpixie 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Time

So do you just condition your arse after a while? I've found cycling really painful so far so I'd like to think I'll harden up to it with work and stop having a bruised arse!

Flicka: good topic, I'm watching with interest because I also get a bruised and sore arse cycling and was wondering how best to make it more comfortable.
 Allan Thomson 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Harris:

A proper pair of cycling shorts will defintely help.

As for saddles, the thinner and firmer and less padded the better. This concept might sound strange, however it makes perfect sense. Basically there is less to chafe the groin and inner leg areas, and the firmness gives a better support to your sit bones. Because a minimal saddle is much thinner, it is also more able to flex and mold to your body shape.

Also make sure the saddle is appropriate for your gender (women need wider saddles obviously. And consider a cutaway saddle to further remove pressure from the more sensitive areas.

Best saddle I have ever ridden on is the Selle Italia SLR once, got them on both my mtn bike and best road bike, and as soon as I get on my winter bike which has my old Gel saddle on it, it is far less comfortable. So minimalist is definitely better!! Furthermore it saves a lot of weight on the bike so there's no trade off!!
 Allan Thomson 20 Sep 2007
And yes, the more often you ride the more comfortable it becomes, but sometimes you need to take time off to let any pressure injuries heal (eg saddle sores).
 Duncan I 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

Interesting topic and one I wouldn't have bothered answering a couple of months ago. I've never had a problem with saddles as I've always cycled everywhere (well for 15 yrs or so) and could ride any MTB without a problem. However, my new road bike came with a real razor blade and after a week I had to go back to the shop for something a bit more comfortable. This was instantly more comfortable, improved my posture and gave me an extra couple of kph to boot. I've never had a pair of padded shorts so there you can see the benefits of getting the saddle right. I'm sure that they would be a benefit to. At the end of the day, getting a decent saddle that works for you (15-30 quid) and a pair of padded shorts still costs less that a tank of petrol so get both!
Hannah m 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson:
Agreed. Not cycled much recently, but when I did do a lot of touring and training -and later mtb- I would never have ridden any distance, other than just around town, without a) proper cycling shorts and b) proper cycling mitts (protect nerves in hands when resting on bars/brake hoods/going over rough ground). It's worth investing in some good quality kit if you can.

Graham 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

> Just wondering how best to address my sore arse issue? What's more comfortable? What works, what doesn't? Does one's arse harden over time and not get quite so, er, tender?!

I am genuinely staggered that no-one else has suggested using some WD40.
Hannah m 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Graham:
It was too obvious.
Graham 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Hannah m:

Doh! Silly me.

Rubbishy 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

Quite often the localised chaffing you are suffering is exacerbated by incorrect saddle setting. Make sure your saddle is set properly, at the right angle and the fore and aft adjustment is correct. Also, if it is too high you will rock from side to side as you pegal and this can rub on the inside of the upper thigh.

A quick google or search on Bike Radar will find several decent fitting guides.

If all else fails, use the same trick as the pros and rub the jelly fat from a pork pie into your groin and bumcrack.
 lummox 21 Sep 2007
In reply to John Rushby: I`d agree with someone above about looking on Wiggle for dhb stuff- pretty cheap but relatively well designed and manufactured. Again, a gender appropriate saddle is crucial !
Nao 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
I have a women's specific saddle and have never had that brontosorearse thing. Though I do have a lot of natural padding on my backside, so perhaps that helps...
 TobyA 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

I don't know where you live, but if you can get to a Decathlon store they have the most reasonably priced cycling gear in the UK. It can be even a bit cheaper if you go to one of their store in France whilst on holiday.

Get proper cycling shorts, even the Decathlon "blue label" (their budget range) is a lot better than none. I can only bring myself to wear lycra whilst on my road bike when I know I won't be stopping! For commuting - where my colleagues see me as I walk into the office! - I wear either a pair of baggy cargo-pocket shorts over basic lycra cycling shorts, or cycling specific 'baggies', baggy shorts with an internal liner with the pad in. I got these all from Decathlon and are fine having done a couple of year and about 5000 kms in them.

With cycling shorts you do get what you pay for - the multi panel shorts being better - but if you spend 20 quid at Decathlon that will be like buying a 30-40 quid branded short from a cycle shop.

Finally, you are probably to skinny. Eat donuts and drink too much beer. You'll get a fat bum and then have no probs. At least that seems to work for me.
 TobyA 21 Sep 2007
In reply to John Rushby:

> If all else fails, use the same trick as the pros and rub the jelly fat from a pork pie into your groin and bumcrack.

I really, REALLY hope you just made that up from your perverted mind. Otherwise I'll never look at the lovely jelly in a good pork pie in the same way again.
 dek 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: I was informed by my six year old niece who has learned to cycle without stabilisers that she "can't go fast" as the saddle gives her a 'wedgie' and a pained expression. Her mums explanation had me in stitches!
But that probably doesn't help you!
brothersoulshine 21 Sep 2007
 AlisonSmiles 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

Aldi do quite good padded cycling shorts from time to time, there's usually an autumn bike related stock of stuff at some point.

I have some cycling undies, delightful grey jersey, high waisted with big ribbed elastic and padding round my girls bits. I think they were Madison / Shimano - I know I got them from Halfords for about a fiver.
 SimonMH 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
I did some experimentation on a LEJOG ride: boxers are less comfortable than Y fronts which are less comfortable than padded shorts. I had the scars to prove it. Don't shave any hairs off a hairy bum to reduce friction [though this may not apply to all riders, though some shave their legs].
I had a Fuji Nevada with the most comfortable saddle ever [Did LEJOG on it and didn't feel a thing till 800 miles!] Then got a Dawes Galaxy touring bike, swopped the saddle over and it was a real pain. Put the original Dawes San Marco saddle back on, did C2C in 2 days with son, and no problems.
To sum up:
Good leather saddle at the right angle
Right position
Practice
Suspended seat post if there's a lot of bumps in the road
Keep moving your position on the bike while you ride to avoid soreness in one place
Regular stops
Baggy shorts: my daughter says that at my age lycra is not a good look [but what does she know about fashion, her hair is all the colours of the rainbow!]
Have fun.
 SimonMH 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Good places to look:
Edinburgh bike shop, Evans, Wiggle, Southern Down hill forum, CTC and any of the cycling magazines.
adders at old works 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: padded shorts all the way.

the more padded your saddle is infact normally leads to it being more uncomfortable.

use shecycles.com, its a really friendly forum for girl bikers.
OP Flicka 21 Sep 2007
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone for your replies, all useful Was sure I would a) get v few replies and b)get shot down for asking this on a climbing forum but I am pleasantly surprised!! So thanks again!

Think I'll go to decathlon again and look at padded shorts, got my gloves there yesterday for £4.95 and they are fab! Will also look in Halfords, didnt occur to me they would stock that sort of thing, thought they just did hardware!
 Rubbishy 21 Sep 2007
In reply to TobyA:

A top tip from Mooncat. Apparently he still does it despite having retired.
Tim Chappell 21 Sep 2007
Saddles are very personal. We all have different shaped bums. Get one that's comfortable for you, and stick with it.
OP Flicka 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Presumably you need to try a load in order to find "the one"!? How are bike shops for letting you do that? And how do you really know without riding around on it for a bit first?
 Glen 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

There is only one way to have a comfortable saddle:

Have one that fits.

No amount of gel/padding will make a saddle that is the wrong shape for you comfy.

Unfortunately, this normally means some trial and error.
karl walton 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Oh right that's what the padded underwear is for.
I always thought the padding was for dealing with excess bum gravy!
 schloosh 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

Padded shorts and a firm but flexible saddle, padding on the saddle is not good, but one that flexes will in time (once yer arse hardens) be better
soveda@work 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Not read the rest of the thread but:
1)Padded shorts, next to skin so no seams to rub.
2)Saddle that suits your "seat"
3)Correct position on the bike (i.e.: if you have a race saddle but a sit up and beg position you are going to get more sore than if you were in a race position)
4)Time! one does get used to the saddle!
soveda@work 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
Specialized saddles come in different widths and the have a measuring system for checking the width of your pelvis so you get the right one!
Oh and I agree with Alan T above, firm saddle not too wide with a minimal amount of padding. If it's the right shape it won't hurt (much).
A
soveda@work 21 Sep 2007
In reply to soveda@work:
Oh ans don't skimp on the shorts, 6-8 panels make all the difference in fit even if they can cost upwards of £50!
 Chris Harris 21 Sep 2007
In reply to climbingpixie:
> (In reply to Chris Harris)

>
> So do you just condition your arse after a while? I've found cycling really painful so far so I'd like to think I'll harden up to it with work and stop having a bruised arse!

Definitely. When I started cycling to work (17 mile round trip) I cycled Mon, Weds, Fri for the 1st few weeks till it got firmed up.
Hope your arse gets better, happy to give it a rub if you want......

gingerdave13 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka: i'd go for decathalon rather than halfrauds,, there's normally a wider range of kit and it should be cheaper too!

but definately cycle shorts - i put up a similar post a while ago and got some shorts (Baggies with liner) shortly thereafter - they're great and have made a huuuge difference - i can now ride the roadie in comfort!
 Allan Thomson 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> Presumably you need to try a load in order to find "the one"!? How are bike shops for letting you do that? And how do you really know without riding around on it for a bit first?

If you nip out and get the tightest lycra shorts you can find, get a picture of your arse, then post it on here, we might be able to help you figure out what size of saddle you need??

Alternatively try a respectable bikeshop, and they won't need a picture of your lycra clad arse (having the real deal to check out in front of them!

Seriously though from my experience, and pretty much every cyclist I know, male and female, minimalist is the way to go. I would never buy another padded saddle again!!! And I've even ridden on it in combat trousers with no shorts (though shorts are a must if you're notching up the miles, and don't give a damn what anyone else says, lycra makes you think you want to ride fast whereas baggies make you amble along).

Not convinced about one poster who said you only needed to spend £15 - £30 for a good saddle. IMHO the place you want to spend the most money on (apart from the frame, though I think it is wise to spend proportionately moreso on a saddle) is the saddle. It's like you wouldn't run a race in £10 supermarket special shoes, you'd go for the £50 ones you got in a sale, or whatever. As I say the Selle SLR isn't cheap (think from memory you're talking somewhere around the £50 - £70 range), but it is a damn good saddle, and remember a decent hardwearing saddle you can always transfer from one bike to another if you decide to upgrade the rest.
 Allan Thomson 21 Sep 2007
Another point, when riding, make sure you do move out of the saddle from time to time, as this helps to avoid pressure sores.

kevin stephens 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson:
> (In reply to Flicka)
> [...]
. As I say the Selle SLR isn't cheap (think from memory you're talking somewhere around the £50 - £70 range), but it is a damn good saddle,

Hmmm, I have an SLR too, and it is great on my road bike

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/Kevinintheuk/compact.jpg

Somehow I don't think one would be suitable for Flicka's mtb
 Allan Thomson 22 Sep 2007
In reply to kevin stephens:
Actually you can get a mtn bike designed version, it's got kevlar around the back to prevent it getting damaged. I bought one as soon as I got an SLR for my road bike (initially to reduce weight, then found it was far more comfortable than anything I'd ridden before).

http://sandy.ninjahosting.com/content/images/selleitaliaslrxc.jpg

AlisonSmiles 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

Just picked up the latest Aldi leaflet - 27th September they have their winter cycling clothing in stock. They've got the winter trousers in which have some kind of gusset (may be padded) - get the bib version rather than the elasticated waist for comfort - and if you've got sturdy legs rather than matchsticks you might want to go a size larger than usual. (based on personal experience). Their cycling clothing is surprisingly good.
diablo 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Flicka:

neither

if your a real cyclist - the true sensation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...