UKC

NEWS: Wilton Quarries up for Sale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lord_ash2000 21 Sep 2007
It's come to my attention that the wilton quarries are up for auction on the 18th of October. I'm not sure what access issues this might cause but it sounds worrying.

http://www.pugh-company.co.uk/auctions/lot.x?a=20071018&l=018
 The Lemming 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

What are the chances of all this being turned into housing estates?
 Wibble Wibble 21 Sep 2007

Mmmm. Worrying.
 CJD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

the advert mentions 'a variety of leisure uses'.
OP Lord_ash2000 21 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming: I really hope not. Wilton 1 seems a bit Inaccessible by road for houses, and I wouldn’t fancy a house in wilton 3 as its too enclosed and dank. Wilton two on the other hand is next to the road has flat ground so you never know. It does say though that

“The site is considered suitable for a variety of leisure uses, subject to obtaining the necessary planning consents. Bolton Council”

Not sure what “leisure uses” they are thinking off but climbing had best be one of them.
 The Lemming 21 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> the advert mentions 'a variety of leisure uses'.

Yes, and money talks.

If the council or Water Authority was given enough then I'm sure that planning could be given for other uses.
 dread-i 21 Sep 2007
The guide price does seem quite low. I bet there will be lots of speculators hoping to either sit on it till the price goes up or to try and wrangle planning permission, so the price goes up. Either way, I imagine that they wouldn't want the liability of us climbing there.

Do the BMC know about this ?
In reply to dread-i:

Agreed. The guide price is way too low for building land.
martin k 21 Sep 2007
In reply to dread-i: we know about it now! we'll get back to you as soon as.
 newhey 21 Sep 2007

What a bargain, do the BMC not have some spare cash?
 cathsullivan 21 Sep 2007

It looks to me (from the map) like Wilton 1 might not be included in this anyway? Be a shame to lose access to Wilton 3 though.

I would be surprised if climbing counts as 'leisure' in this context - wouldn't it be more likely that they're implying that it could be developed for leisure that involves charging people money?
Tim Chappell 21 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:

The low price rules out permission for housing I think. If I was guessing, I'd say they're thinking of selling it to someone who will make money out of using it for climbing or shooting or MTBing. So it might turn into Bolton's answer to Ratho, or something like that?
 Neil Conway 21 Sep 2007
In reply to cathsullivan:

Wilton 1 is on offer as a separate lot.
rginns 21 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k: this is not good news if it would jeopardise climbing at Wilton, would the BMC buy as they did with Craig y Longridge?

This is a fantastic quarry which must remain available to future generations
 CJD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to rginns:

it would be good if we could go halves with the gun/archery club so that all the present users could have guaranteed future access. I know it mentions the gun club anyway.
In reply to Neil Conway:
> (In reply to cathsullivan)
>
> Wilton 1 is on offer as a separate lot.

http://www.pugh-company.co.uk/auctions/lot.x?a=20071018&l=019

dread-i 21 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
>it would be good if we could go halves with the gun/archery club
They only have a 6 month lease.

It may be worth talking to NW water, who own a lot of the lancs crags, so that we get first ask on any sales of quarries.

I am guessing that these ones are of no use to NW water, as they are open on at least one side, so not water proof. However, troy, anglezarke etc are enclosed so could be flooded if needed to provide more water storage.
rginns 21 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: yeah it would although to be fair, you can shoot anywhere within reason - would they be prepared to stump the cash?

worrying stuff...

I've emailed Les Ainsworth maybe he should look into all this.
 JDDD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to rginns)
>
> it would be good if we could go halves with the gun/archery club so that all the present users could have guaranteed future access. I know it mentions the gun club anyway.

This would be a mixed blessing. The problem isn't with the gun club, but the people who come down out of hours and shoot glass bottles and foam cans. Wilton 2 especially becomes quite a mess sometimes.
 JDDD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: We could look on the bright side. The land is up for auction, but it doesn't mean someone will buy it.
 gobsmacker 21 Sep 2007

£15,000 isn't much if you spread it between a couple of thousand people (i.e. climbers)

So who's up for a whip round?
 hutchm 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

Quadbiking and paintball - hurrah!
 kevin stephens 21 Sep 2007
In reply to gobsmacker:

it's probably a lot less for shooters who may jump at the chance for exclusive access!!!!
In reply to gobsmacker:

To buy both plots we're talking about £45 to 65k.
karl walton 21 Sep 2007
Quick let's have a whip round
rginns 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000) We could look on the bright side. The land is up for auction, but it doesn't mean someone will buy it.

Another way of looking at it is if we (BMC etc) don't do anything, someone will buy it, and consequently ban us!
 gobsmacker 21 Sep 2007
In reply to kevin stephens:

I'd be willing to put in £100 for a share

The adventurous side of my personality is telling me that selling my house to buy 15 acres of land & rock is a good idea

I would also be able to afford a tent to live in...
 datoon 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: I'm surprised Geoff hasn't already bought it!?! I'm convinced he lives in the shooting shed already anyhow!?!

But on a more serious note, this if sold would be a major loss to the Lancashire climbing scene. All 4 quarries have high quality routes in with a good climbing history.

Seems a bargain to me - my dad might be interested to buy it and put a cafe in Wilton 1!?!

the sale is on 18th October

The shooting club have an existing agreement and contract (£8 pa) for access, so I am sure they would have been notified about this some time ago, and may be geared up to buy it

I doubt climbers have any explicit ot implicit right of access
Anonymous 21 Sep 2007
My immediate worry would be leisure = paintball/ corporate adventure (quads/karts etc) all of which would want exclusive access.
Or lets say speculator x buys the site with no firm intentions - the land is worth more without climbers / liability issues clouding the situation, so first priority would be perimeter fencing and no cimbing notices.

Is Wilton 1 access land?
Toad (not logged on, and who learned to climb in the Wiltons)
 Phil Kelly 21 Sep 2007
In reply to rginns:
> (In reply to martin k) this is not good news if it would jeopardise climbing at Wilton, would the BMC buy as they did with Craig y Longridge?
>
> This is a fantastic quarry which must remain available to future generations

All four quarries at Wilton offer fantastic sport, even though they tend to be derided by the unconverted.

When the BMC stepped in to rescue Craig Y Longridge, I felt that this was partly due to the huge popularity of bouldering at the time, and the fact that whilst it had only a ten year or so history, it was seen as a significantly important crag.

Surely the same is true of the Wilton Massif. It needs to be available to the future generations - a bastion of traditional quarry adventure climbing - not for the faint hearted or the bolt clipper, but a true wild quarry location of national importance.

What price can you put on a place like this? Personally I thik those guide prices are fair, and I can't wait to see how the BMC views this opportunity.

Phil
In reply to phil kelly:

It seems the Wiltons are on CROW Access Land. I don't know what the implications of this are:

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_GB/.cmd/acd/.ar/...

gobsmacker 21 Sep 2007
In reply to datoon:

Great idea
J1234 21 Sep 2007
When I build my new house in Wilton 1, will my private crag get me more partners or less
 Phil Kelly 21 Sep 2007
In reply to gobsmacker:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)

> The adventurous side of my personality is telling me that selling my house to buy 15 acres of land & rock is a good idea
>
> I would also be able to afford a tent to live in...

Al Evans (of this parish) camped out in a tent in Wilton One many moons ago, IIRC. Seem to remember doing it myself once or twice when was younger, and before Lonny took over the 'Dog. Not a very comfy place for your tent, but the cragging is super convenient.
 JDDD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to rginns:
> (In reply to Jon Dittman)
> [...]
>
> Another way of looking at it is if we (BMC etc) don't do anything, someone will buy it, and consequently ban us!

Well not necessarily. There are all sorts of ancient laws to do with rights of way that would hold up any would be developer. It is never that easy.
 SebCa 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: Not looking good really is it, but was it UU that quarried them in the first place or have they bought them out? Maybe the National Trust or another "good doing" group of people will buy them. Granted if they are lost for climbing it will be a great loss, some superb routes in there. How about the gods of UKC? Get a few more t shirts out there, save up, buy a few quarries and rule the shooters with an iron fist, what they need!
 Tyler 21 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

> What are the chances of all this being turned into housing estates?

Negligible I'd have thought or else the valuers have made an expensive cockup.
 Bulls Crack 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Wibble Wibble:

Fairly good.
 sandywilson 21 Sep 2007

Any news coming out of the BMC on this? I'd be willing to chip in to buy them.
martin k 21 Sep 2007
In reply to sandywilson: we're looking into the background of it at the moment...we'll post something by the end of the day to say what has been done/found out etc...
 sandywilson 21 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:
> we're looking into the background of it at the moment...we'll post something by the end of the day to say what has been done/found out etc...

Thanks for that Martin! Sorry for asking an obvious question, I didn't realise who you were.

Forgot to say, thanks from us lancs folks for the heads up on this one
rginns 21 Sep 2007
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000)
>
> Forgot to say, thanks from us lancs folks for the heads up on this one

I agree, cheers Lord ash
 AlisonSmiles 21 Sep 2007
In reply to gobsmacker:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
>
> I'd be willing to put in £100 for a share

I'd be willing to put in money for a share - camping rights on non shooting days of course.
In reply to AlisonSmiles: Camping rights on shooting days could be more fun!
 AlisonSmiles 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Not sure who they'd be fun for though.

Somehow this thread has shamed me into applying for BMC membership. Just entered my credit card details - don't want to look like I'm asking for something for nothing when I don't even contribute!
In reply to martin k:

I'd chip in too, even though I've never climbed there. It's the principle of the thing.
In reply to martin k:

If the BMC buy it I think the shooting people should be looked after fairly and their sporting rights protected too. Together we stand, divided we fall and all that. Plus it's a bad idea to get on the wrong side of a good marksman or woman.
rginns 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: ....as long as they stop filling the pit under S Groove with rubbish in Wilton 2 of course. They can be quite a menace really
In reply to rginns:

Ah, yes. There would have to be mutual respect.
 andi_e 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: Am I right in thinking that prior to UU owning them, they were owned by Bolton Council and used for tipping?
 toad 21 Sep 2007
In reply to andi_e: I was climbing there in 82/84 (badly!) There was no tipping there then. Did North West Water (predecesor of UU)own them at that time?
 andi_e 21 Sep 2007
In reply to toad: That's what I'm asking you!
 toad 21 Sep 2007
In reply to andi_e: sorry - being dense.
martin k 21 Sep 2007
In reply to all:

The BMC Access & Conservation team are investigating this development and a number of the local conditions associated with the quarry area (planning constraints, regional Unitary Development Plans, CRoW details etc.).
We have also arranged to meet with UU early next week, and will report any developments on the BMC website next week.

Guy Keating
BMC A&C Officer
GeoffM 21 Sep 2007
In reply to datoon: I'm surprised Geoff hasn't already bought it!?! I'm convinced he lives in the shooting shed already anyhow!?!

I have just painted it and built an extension !!!
GeoffM 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:
> (In reply to AlisonSmiles) Camping rights on shooting days could be more fun!

There was a family of seven from Wigan who used to camp
in wilton one every year ---- for there summer holidays !!

Ann S 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

You'ld better get down there quick then Alison.
 richardhopton 22 Sep 2007
so are we buying then or what? £500 each , we only need 100 people. The Yanks do this all the time and call it a conservation fund. Who's in?
GeoffM 22 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:

Two of the quarries are home to bats, which, if memory serves are a protected species

The gun club who use Wilton 2 have just built some additional shooting huts and spent a bit of time and effort laying a new concrete shooting area.I suppose they would have to get permission off UU, perhaps they know something we dont
 andi_e 22 Sep 2007
In reply to GeoffM: 3 hasn't been shot in for years, or whenever we go we never see any signs of it. I was bouldering under the swine when some chavs started shooting the other day, dodgy.
 gobsmacker 22 Sep 2007
In reply to richardhopton:

I'll put some in
GeoffM 22 Sep 2007
In reply to andi_e:

Whoever rents W3 for shooting very rarely turn up but
they do still use it mainly Sundays

I know what you mean with the air gun crowd, the rule is if
anyone goes in and starts to shoot without putting flags
up you are entitled to kick them out, also its an offence
to shoot if there are people nearby, Question is do you have the bottle to stand your ground ??
I have an still got shot at--- with real bullets!!!
scary
Serpico 23 Sep 2007
In reply to phil kelly:

>
not for the faint hearted or the bolt clipper,
>
>

Kind of ironic then that all the hardest routes were put up by 'bolt clippers' (Parry, Pritchard, Pasquill jnr, Pegg, etc).
 Moacs 23 Sep 2007

Interesting.

For what it's worth I suspect the story is like this:

UU have a number of sites sitting on their balance sheet as assets that they can do nothing useful with and are not in the business of turning them to other commercial purpose. It will cost them significantly in excess of £8/year to process receipt of the payment fromthe shooting guys. They want to be rid of them.

However. They know that the land is very unlikely to get approval for development on any significant scale. So it is priced at a point that might attract two sorts of interest:
- someone taking a high risk speculative punt on getting some sort of development approval
- someone currently getting value of some sort out of the site; i.e. shooters and climbers

I will try to remember to call the auctioneers on Monday to find out a little more (I only made one visit to Wilton quarries, but it seems a shame to lose them). Does someone else have a contact at BMC?

I guess we should also ponder the possible question arising - would you be prepared to pay to go climbing there? A fiver a day?

John
GeoffM 23 Sep 2007
In reply to Serpico:

Pritchard bolt clipper ?? as for the others, they can do both but which came first,
 Phil Kelly 23 Sep 2007
In reply to Moacs:

> I will try to remember to call the auctioneers on Monday to find out a little more (I only made one visit to Wilton quarries, but it seems a shame to lose them). Does someone else have a contact at BMC?

John - Les Ainsworth and the BMC team are looking into this. Because of the short timeframe, it'd probably be best left to those guys to find out what's happening and update everyone.

From brief emails I do know that there are a couple of meetings going on this week so we should all have a clearer picture then.

Phil
 VisionSet 23 Sep 2007
In reply to Moacs:

> I guess we should also ponder the possible question arising - would you be prepared to pay to go climbing there? A fiver a day?

Absolutely not, because that is a bloody slippery slope.
 Michael Ryan 23 Sep 2007
In reply to VisionSet:

Now on news page

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Ta

Mick
 Moacs 23 Sep 2007
In reply to phil kelly:

Hi Phil

That's fine. It's good to know that the people best placed to have a sensible discussion are, well, having the discussion. Or at least planning to!

J

Fiend 24 Sep 2007

Holy shit!! I thought this was a troll at first.

£15-25k doesn't seem that much although I suspect the land is generally useless to most buyers??

If anyone's thinking of buying it for climbers, I'll chip in a few bob!
Serpico 24 Sep 2007
In reply to GeoffM:
> (In reply to Serpico)
>
> Pritchard bolt clipper ??

Oh yes, one of the few to place bolts on the hallowed Bolton green stuff. Remember The Axe Wound?

Wibble Wibble 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Fiend:
>
> Holy shit!! I thought this was a troll at first.
>
> £15-25k doesn't seem that much although I suspect the land is generally useless to most buyers??
>
> If anyone's thinking of buying it for climbers, I'll chip in a few bob!

It's split into 2 plots, so to get all the Wilton's it's going to be £45 to 65k.

Michael Ryan 24 Sep 2007

I've pledged £100.

Mick
 sandywilson 24 Sep 2007

Considering the importance of the Wiltons to NW climbers I'm a bit surprised this story isn't all over the front page of the BMC website!
 Wibble Wibble 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Wibble Wibble)
>
> I've pledged £100.
>
> Mick

How? I'm happy to do the same, but there's not much time to organise things.

Andy Say 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jimbo MSider:
UU weren't the 'quarriers'. They inherited the land when the water authorities were privatised as its p[art of their catchment area.

They also inherited, and have in their current estate holdings, Anglezarka and Pex to name but two!

Oh. And there's a lot of money in landfill sites these days!
 datoon 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: Just an idea - with all the pledges of money if needs must.

Could the plethora (wow look at that intellectual word!!) of Lancashire climbing clubs be contacted and asked if there members would be interested in donating money to buy the crag? This would raise quite a bit of money? I will wait on Les and the other BMC reps to get in contact with us regarding this however. John - you can please pass this on to Les as an idea? Although he's probably already thought about it!!!

I am willing to put money towards keeping these crags...

Geoff - I saw that work being done the other week and thought what was going on - is it more cosy and homely now? But alas you must have got someone else in to do the work for you!?! Hope you have had a good season since the last time I saw you
 JDDD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to datoon: I spoke to Les Ainsworth last night about it. I think there are a number of meetings with UU and possibly the council about it scheduled for this week. He spoke to the council last week and apparently a party have made an enquiry on the site with regard to the current planning consent. Whatever they enquired about is not currently allowed and we don't know what the enquiry was for. If the land was purchased, a formal application could be made and planning permission granted if the council saw fit but this is not guarenteed.

At the end of the day, nothing has been decided yet. There are all sorts of hoops to go through before Wilton is seriously under thread. It hasn't been sold yet and even if it is, there are issues to do with planning permission, CRoW access, someone mentioned bats, and no doubt a strong lobby of opposition from local climbers and bilberry pickers.

I think it would be admirable to try to buy it but in reality you would need 600 people like Mick to stump up £100 or 6000 to stump up £10. I think this is a tall order given the timescales.
martin k 24 Sep 2007
In reply to sandywilson:
>
> Considering the importance of the Wiltons to NW climbers I'm a bit surprised this story isn't all over the front page of the BMC website!

it will be, but only when there are some solid facts to report. i'll be the first one to complain if everything that can be done isn't!

JDDD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:

> but only when there are some solid facts to report

I heard that the Wiltons are up for sale if that is any use?
 Michael Ryan 24 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:
> (In reply to sandywilson)
> [...]
>
> it will be, but only when there are some solid facts to report.

You could try here Martin

Oh and here

datoon 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman: You never know there might be some people sitting on a quiet stash of money?? Like yourself Jon!?! :P...

I suppose we will just have to watch this space...

Be a great shame if us Lancashire lot lost these quality venues, all that cleaning this year has been a real success (much thanks to everyone who organised them). I personally believe this has had a direct effect on the amount of usage in the quarries.
 JDDD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to datoon:
> You never know there might be some people sitting on a quiet stash of money?? Like yourself Jon!?! :P...

You have got to be joking. As Yorkshireman, do you think that
a) I would buy a quarry in Lancashire!?
b) Even if I did have a stash of cash, I would let it out of my sight?

Michael Ryan 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

"Naturally, the BMC are concerned with the potential implications of this development and have arranged to meet with a representative of United Utilities on Tuesday 25th September.

Watch this space for an update after our meeting."

http://thebmc.co.uk/News.asp
Alex Messenger, BMC 24 Sep 2007

No suffix on that url though, it's:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/news
martin k 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon & Mick a.k.a. Laurel & Hardy: yes, you are both hilarious, you should be on the stage (there's one leaving in ten minutes)
 Pauline 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: we would stump up about £100 if there does develop an organised whip round!
local resident 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Pauline:
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000) we would stump up about £100 if there does develop an organised whip round!

how much do you lot think this land will sell for the guide means nothing it will go for a lot more people will sit on this plot for years
 kingholmesy 24 Sep 2007
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [I've pledged £100]
>
> How? I'm happy to do the same, but there's not much time to organise things.

Ditto. These are excellent climbing venues which it would be a real shame to lose.
GeoffM 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Serpico:

If memory serves they where already in
 Pauline 24 Sep 2007
In reply to local resident:
>
> how much do you lot think this land will sell for the guide means nothing...

I have no idea, i am not an estate agent!
I recognise the guide price is pretty meaningless, but if people were willing to put up cash then we would have the crag. A hundred quid to some is a drop in the ocean, to others it is a lot.. so my hundred quid might not go far, but at least i am willing!

Phil Kelly 24 Sep 2007
In reply to GeoffM:

No, Paul put them in, or certainly it was either him or a member of his team, but Paul had his eye on that wall for years - and just loved the name 'Axe Wound'.

Remind me though if they're a 'known brand' bolt... I don't think so, and in that case they would be home made hangers c/o another member of the Longridge Crazy Gang.

MadProfessor 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Pauline: I would be prepared to stump up a hundred squids. Wilton is part of my genes although I haven't climbed there for 20 years. John Spencer
In reply to MadProfessor:

Well it will only take 450 of us to put in £100 each. If I owned a 450th of a quarry I'd definitely take more interest in it. And we can have an owners club party every year. Cool!
 Paul748 24 Sep 2007

Me too, I'd stump up £100
 whispering nic 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Paul748: I'm in for a ton. Can I have 'Cameo' for that?
 Phil Kelly 24 Sep 2007
In reply to whispering nic:

No, Cameo is £250, but you'd be welcome to, say, Peanuts or Leucocyte Right Hand for a ton....
 Frankie boy 25 Sep 2007
Sounds a bargain if you can pick it up for the bottom end price. Would there be any other costs payable, i.e. annual rates or anything....
If I could put a tent on it I'd rather buy that than house at the moment.
 Stu Tyrrell 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: If I win the Lottery this week I will buy it/them, you will all be welcome!

Stu
 Frankie boy 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Was toying with the thought of buying it (going halves with a friend) but not sure what the responsibilities etc of land ownership are. If I can put me tent on it then thats a definite plus.
In reply to Frankie boy:
> If I can put me tent on it then thats a definite plus.

We got told off by the warden for camping in the National Park a couple of weeks ago. Such naughty girls!
But I'm sure no-one will move you on if you are camping on your own land. You can just give yourself permission.

Frankie boy 25 Sep 2007
Precisely. I'll save a tent pitch for you.
Guy Keating, BMC 25 Sep 2007
We have just met with a rep. of UU to discuss the scheduled auction of the Wilton quarries. The discussions were very helpful for both parties and we found UU to be receptive and appreciative of the quality of the crag, and its historical place in Lancs. climbing.

The meeting concluded with an agreement to work in partnership with UU on one or two local issues, and a verbal offer to withdraw the quarries from auction.

See the BMC website for breaking news.

Guy Keating
BMC A&C Officer.
 JDDD 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Guy Keating, BMC: Fantastic!! That almost sounds like it is a fuss about nothing. I do however use the word "almost" exceedingly cautiously.
Anonymous 25 Sep 2007
In reply to phil kelly:

Hi Phil, I thought they had been in or something similar
well before it got done. Certainly Hank and myself tried it on numerous occasions, they where the type of bolt you clipped but didnt examine,until you fell off
I think Arron was just being pedantic otherwise there would be a few people out there that could be called aid climbers

GeoffM
In reply to Guy Keating, BMC: Nice one.
Serpico 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
It's Arran, now I'm being pedantic
 Wibble Wibble 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Guy Keating, BMC:

Thanks very much. Hope they're as good as their word.
Serpico 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Serpico:
I thought the bolts were Petzls and ok. I must go and look because it was on my list of routes to do.
 Fiend 25 Sep 2007

Good stuff, well done for a speedy and productive sounding meeting.
 AlisonSmiles 25 Sep 2007

Fingers crossed. And thank you.
rginns 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Guy Keating, BMC: Excellent news if it is confirmed. We shall be thanking Les and all at the BMC if it is! Brilliant
jeky godoaf 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Serpico: you are an axe wound
 middlevern 25 Sep 2007
In reply to GeoffM:
Well done to those involved with the meetings this afternoon - that is great news.
Geoff, did you get those pictures i sent through the other day, or did it make your system crash? I can reduce file sizes a bit if you want, but you did say you wanted mbs!
mr v
GeoffM 25 Sep 2007
In reply to middlevern:

Great stuff BMC Ive no need to sell my hut now

Not received them yet if you wish to try again thanks
 Pauline 25 Sep 2007
thankyou to the BMC people who have been so quick to try and intervein in this and for the result to date... If there is an issue again i am still good for the hundred quid!

Well done. Keep up the good work.
 Moacs 26 Sep 2007

> The meeting concluded with an agreement to work in partnership with UU on one or two local issues, and a verbal offer to withdraw the quarries from auction.
>

That is simply *fantastic*. Well done to you guys, and thank you.

J
 Frankie boy 26 Sep 2007
Thanks, for the good work. Looks like I may not have to buy the place after all.
Never quite knew what Id do witha quary anwa (apart from climb in it obviously).
 datoon 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Lord_ash2000: Just echo the comments - thanks a lot for keeping us informed and hope this is the last of it ...
 adec73 26 Sep 2007

Brilliant work by the BMC, thanks to everyone for their efforts. Only just started climbing this year and enjoy Wilton very much and it's on my doorstep.
I'm glad I joined the BMC and if ya haven't yet, please do, this is as good a reason why you should amongst others.
 Michael Ryan 26 Sep 2007
In reply to adec73:

Your quote is on the News page.

Cheers,

Mick
 Phil Kelly 26 Sep 2007

Well done Les and the rest of the BMC access team. Everyone who uses the quarries owes you a debt of gratitude.

Phil
 Moacs 29 Sep 2007

Guy

I mailed you separately on this, but don't know if it got through as my e-mail seems a little unreliable.

In essence my point was whether there was the possibility of this going one step furtther and UU giving the quarries to the BMC as a charitable donation.

I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that this has the following benefits for UU:
- removal of any residual liability/public safety issues
- improvement (albeit tiny) on RONA as full book value would be written off
- tax deductible as a charitable donation at full book value

i.e. they achieve the tidying up they sought of their assets, at similar financial outcome.

Worth asking?

John
 peterjb 29 Sep 2007
In reply to Moacs:

I often go to the pugh and co auctions and was surprised to see the wiltons popping up on the latest catalouge which I have only just looked at.

I am pleased to see something has already been done about it, good old UKC and BMC, here the true value as a resource for all climbers shines through.

I may have bidded on them and will be happy to contribute a couple of k to a purchase fund, asuming the ownership and management issues etc are clearly laid out and addressed.
 Ade@work 29 Sep 2007
In reply to Moacs: I've never climbed there and am unlikely to either, however I'm willing to donate £200 to try and ensure Wilton remains available for all (whether Climbers, Shooters or family campers).
 peterjb 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick I feel like a star ive never been in the news before!
GeoffM 09 Oct 2007

Looks like the BMC did the job, again well done.

Addendum - Please be aware of the following changes/additions to the catalogue particulars
This lot has been WITHDRAWN from auction.
 Pauline 09 Oct 2007
In reply to GeoffM: ACE!! and a bit in lower case just so it will allow the post.... bloody annoying!
tommo_williams 16 Oct 2007
In reply to peterjb: Hi Guys

I am looking into buying the 3 Quarries... I can totaly understand what you guys are saying and the presavation of the land and surrounding will be kept. We are setting up lesure activities in that area and climbing isnt one of them.if you lot are in a climbing club you all will be most welcome to climb on our land. please send me your thoughts. we will only be using the land on certain days, so the use of a club and responsable planning we can all work together. My idea is to ask your club rep to contact me to discuss further details ( i dont want loads of e-mails, if there are too many i will not read them, i just dont have time to read them. this is my e-mail adress tommo_ williams@hotmail.com. I am a serious bidder on this auction and i will be most happy to work with you on this matter.
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
In reply to tommo_williams:

Addendum -

Please be aware of the following changes/additions to the catalogue particulars

This lot has been WITHDRAWN from auction.

????????????

tommo_williams 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Sorry Guys

I was a bit plain... Yes they are removed BUT i have spoken to UU today and they are having a meeting soon ( this is how i found you guys) I dont know the full extent on the implicatons on the legal reasons. maybe you can help??? I would love to buy the quarries. and use them for lesure activities. although climbing isnt one of them. I can see no reason why you guys cant clumb there if i owned it. MAYBE YOU LOT CAN HELP ME
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
In reply to tommo_williams:

Calling troll on that one Tommo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...