UKC

Sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
going Ice Climbing in Rjukan...been told to get some sunglasses.

Should I get glacier Glasses, and if so, which ones?
im on a budget...£50 max!
In reply to carrot_boy: anyone?
 Alex Roddie 24 Sep 2007
In reply to carrot_boy:
Have a look on Ebay. You can sometimes pick up a pair of good second-hand glacier glasses for under £20.

It's probably a good idea to get glacier glasses if you're out all day in the sun, but it isn't high altitude so you may get away with a good pair of non-glacier ones....
Tim Chappell 24 Sep 2007
You just need something with a high UV rating. I found some in my high-street chemist's for £4.99. Unless you insist on Prada, I don't see why they'd have to cost 50 smackeroos.
 TobyT 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Tim Chappell vaguely but I got a bit carried away.

Sun glasses sold in the UK are supposed to comply with CE regulations. This states that the sunglasses actually do filter out UV radiation. Some available off the market stall or ebay, particularly fakes may have this sticker but not acually provide the protection, which can cause worse damage as the dark glass causes your irises to expand letting in more UV. This is a moot point though, and glasses bought at Boots or otherwise will be safe. What you pay higher for are the name, comfort, style, reliability and visual clarity. Obviously Name and Style are objective, and the name in partocular can bump the price up needlessly. Paying a little more can increase the comfort and reliability.

What can be important, particularly for all day use is the visual clarity. Just because the lens stop UV doesn't mean they are made that well. Cheaper lenses will often distort images towards the side of the lens. To test hold the sunglasses up in front of your eyes, about 10 cm away, look at a straight edge and then move the glasses around. A good pair should not bend the line in anyway.

In addition to the UV CE mark, some sunglasses are given a Cat rating. This specifies how much visible and IR light is allowed through. Cat 0 is clear and Cat 4 is Glacier/Mountain level, only allowing about 2% of visible light through. Cat 4 sunglasses are too dark for driving and probably for general use unless you have sensitive eyes. Most standard glasses are Cat3 with 'fashion' glasses often running at Cat2. Photochromic glasses will change their category rating depending on the light level, usally from Cat2-Cat4. This change is controlled by the UV so it won't work while driving as the windscreen will cut out the UV before it hits the glasses. Polarizing lenses cut out the horizontally polarized light, letting through only the vertical polarized light. This reduces glare from water, roads, snow and other flat surfaces. Obviously both photchromic and polarizing lenses cost more.

I've found that £30+ glasses from the likes of Bloc and Julbo suit me fine. I've bene buying Julbo for about 5 years and have been happy wiht all of them. Offhand I seem to remember their 'standard' glasses are generaly in the £40-£60 mark, the Polarizing seem to cost about £65 and the Photochromic ones £70-£85. Bloc seem to be a little cheaper. Something more expensive such as Oakleys supposedly have a better lens (although I can't notice the difference myself) and have better support (Oakley will supposedly replace your frame for free if it gets damaged).
fish08 25 Sep 2007
On a comfort front I have always been happy with Bloc. Quite a few highstreet outlets tend to have them.
 SFM 25 Sep 2007
In reply to TobyT:

I've had two pairs of Oakley frames repaired. Think it cost me for P&P though.
task-o 25 Sep 2007
In reply to carrot_boy:

I went to Rjukan 2 years ago in febuary - I wasn't in the sun more than 15 minutes the whole week! If you're climbing in the river gorge, chances are you'll get away without any due to the low angle of the sun - however it's definately worth having a pair to protect your eyes from bits of ice. If you're going to get some, make sure they're wrap-around style and fit well (but not too tight, you don't want them steaming up) and that they have polycarbonate lenses. Polycarbonate blocks 100% of UVA and UVB so even a clear lens will protect your eyes, plus it's almost impossible to break (it won't shatter like glass). Just be careful not to scratch them as polycarbonate is quite soft.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...