UKC

XScape - Milton Keynes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007

Has anyone used the climbing facilities there?

The chap is determined to 'make me like skiing' apparently as I have hated it both times I've tried because I'm utterly useless at it. He's dragging me to the Snowdome place to attempt to teach me to ski.

I just looked at the website this morning and noticed they have a climbing wall there too. So it got me thinking.....

When he's had enough of my tantrums and ski-throwing antics as I get frustrated at still not being able to master it, I thought I might take along my climbing gear so I can potter off in a huff and leave him to play on the slopes whilst I do some climbing.

Are the climbing facilities there any good though and is it worth it, or should I just stick with repeatedly falling on my butt on the snow-slope?

Thanks.
soveda@work 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:
IIRC it's one of those featured columns with autobelays.
Pricy too I think. There's a cafe in the snow dome, probablya better use of your time!
 Denni 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

The one in Ellis Brigham is a tower, auto belays and to be honest is not really worth a trip.

Best to get on the snow or in the cafe :0)
urban warrior 27 Sep 2007

Snowdome etc...

Oh yeah fantastic idea.
Let's run a huge great big freezer to create an artificial environment whilst damaging the fantastic natural one that we have.

Trust you'll be biking there or at least taking public transport?

...sorry Urban in mini rant mode.
 Bill Davidson 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Did you do any ice skating when u were younger?
 JDDD 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy: As people have already said. The fact that they charge you by the hour shows how rubbish it it. Probably about 10 routes max all under 4c/5a.

Perfect for the have-a-go brigade but useless for real climbers.
 Glen 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

If you actually want to learn to ski, get a professional lesson while you are at the snow dome - you'll progress much faster than if you try to learn by yourself/with 'the chap'.
Jonah 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy: But, nicely, there's lots of shopping and more cinema choices (sleazy cinema is a short walk away) than you can shake a stick at. Plus the theatre and all that as well. So despite the auto-belay goldfish bowl climbing (you're on display for the gawking public) at the only climbing wall I know of where the back of your head stands a pretty good chance of hitting a balcony if you ping of with any enthusiasm; Aside from all this, it could still be a good day out if you like shopping or can pursuade him to take you to the movies.
Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> Did you do any ice skating when u were younger?

Not really. I went a few times and was really quite good (think it was because I was obsessed with roller skates as a kid). I just can't master this skiing or snowboarding thing at all!
Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (

useless for real climbers.

<ahem> yeah, errr <cough> errr, best avoid that one then!

Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Glen:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> If you actually want to learn to ski, get a professional lesson while you are at the snow dome - you'll progress much faster than if you try to learn by yourself/with 'the chap'.

His mum (real outdoorsy type - she's great) is coming with us too. First real time for me spending any time with her so think I'd be best getting a proper lesson as she really doesn't need to hear the piles of filth that tends to pour out of my mouth when I get angry/frustrated with something!
 galpinos 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

The climbing is gash, I wouldn't bother.

The skiing is very busy unless you can go on a weekday, it's a good place to learn though (and learn you should, it's the sport of kings).

It's all in Milton Keynes though, which is a bit of a downer (about 5 mins form where I'm sat).
Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Thanks for all of your comments guys. Think I'll just stick to hurtling face first down the slope instead. Am going on a climbing trip the following week and must admit I'm slightly concerned about injuring myself and being broken for my trip! Oh well, best make sure I don't fall over too much then!

Tally-ho!............
48IDA 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Take your own helmet and be prepared to for children with their parents watching on proudly. Then you have to be clipped and unclipped to the auto belay, as doing it yourself is againsts health and safety. Think its £10 per half hour.
Hjonesy 27 Sep 2007
In reply to 48IDA:

£10 per half hour!?!?!? Do you get a glass of champagne and a full body massage for that too??

Normal climbing wall's about £7 and you can stay as long as you like! That's outrageous pricing!!! I'm not going to do it now just on priciple!
 Big Steve 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Hjonesy: Its for kids really during the daytime, especially at tweekends. If you want to climb there, it used to be best to go evenings, Wednesday and Thursday evenings it used to be. Climb as long as you want, experienced climbers only. Not sure if this has changed though
 Climbing_Harry 22 Oct 2007
In reply to Hjonesy: I might be able to help, I work there :p. I have to admit its more for people giving it a go....we have put some decent routes up for members though. If you climb regularly and your not a member I wouldn't bother because its expensive for the time you get...Hope I don't get sacked for this!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...