UKC

NEW REVIEW: Committed DVD by Tom Briggs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 10 Oct 2007
"It’s a really enjoyable film, portraying the full spectrum of British climbing, from mountain crags and sea cliffs to gritstone. The thread that ties it all together is just how personal each character’s drive and motivation is. And how frustrating climbing in the UK can be when you are battling against the weather and conditions. For Spancken it is “more about the climbing, being on the rock than finishing it” whereas for Macleod, you get a sense that the enjoyment comes with relief, immediately after he’s ticked yet another E8 or E9."

Writes Tom Briggs about the new Hot Aches film, Committed.

Read the full review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=535
 stp 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Jeez. What's the grit route that the guy decks out on at the end of the trailer? Ouch! Was he OK?
 abarro81 10 Oct 2007
i'm fully excited about this now! nice review btw, much more interesting than the regular ones which basically say what the back of the box would
 stp 11 Oct 2007
In reply to CupFullOf Mead:

Thought it might have been. Did he live?
Victor Trumper 19 Oct 2007

Hmmm.

Call me cynical but when I went to the 'World Premiere' of Committed last Sunday, Dave from Hot Aches said only one person had seen the film before we, the a-massed crowd. So it's interesting that this review is here,as it was posted and written before the screening on the 14th, and it's interesting that it's obviously written by said one person.Do I detect a little bias?

I also thought the film was a real disspointment.

OP Michael Ryan 21 Oct 2007
In reply to Victor Trumper:

That was a review copy Victor. Standard practice for filmmakers to send out review copies before general release/premieres.
 diff 21 Oct 2007
In reply to Victor Trumper:

>Dave from Hot Aches said only one person had seen the film

Tom (the reviewer) was the 'one'.
 Jonny Tee 69 23 Oct 2007

Watched this last night - great film, totally recommend it, the big climb on Pabbay was excellent. And it's Vol 1 so there should be more in the future...
Watched this last night, and it has some great footage of some great climbs but ,somehow, its not a great film.

It's not bad tho, so well done to the hotaches crew, I'm looking forward to Vol 2...
 Glyn Jones 16 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Finally seen it and really enjoyed it. Was impressed by those not seen as mainstream to me (topless blokes climbing hard). Hard trad by, for example, women and disabled proved that it's open to all. Inspiring and proves it is an open field to anyone willing to take on the challenge.

I'm not trying to single out specific groups just the glory of climbing for all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...