UKC

To Hell and Back - Dave MacLeod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Justin T 25 Oct 2007
... is available on BBC iPlayer for those of us who can't get BBC Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=to+hell

You've got 6 days left to download it.

Enjoy!
In reply to quadmyre: It's well worth a watch
 Katie Weston 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
Stupid BBC, I have no idea how they can justify only getting this to work with windows xp and internet explorer.....
 Wibble Wibble 25 Oct 2007
In reply to dan bailey:
> (In reply to quadmyre) It's well worth a watch

Agreed - thought the production was a bit ropey, but the content was excellent.

rich 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: 5mb donwloaded 48,980mb to go . . .

thanks for the reminder - i could easily have forgotten i could do that
 Doug 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Katie Weston: Agreed, surely a state body shouldn't be tied to a standard that excludes a large part of the people who pay for its services
Doug (Windows but 2000 at work & Mac OS X at home

What form is the downloadable file ? is it playable with Windows Media Player on other platforms
 BelleVedere 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Katie Weston:

nudge - uk nova - wink
rich 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug: just checked - they're .wmv files

i can directly play the bits of peripheral video but get a rights / licencing block on the big files
 Snot 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
Does anyone else get this message?

Sorry - to use the BBC iPlayer you need the following
-Windows XP
-Internet Explorer
-Windows Media Player

I have all of the above so i don't know what the problem is.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Katie Weston:
Agreed. And doubly stupid BBC, for thinking that because he's Scottish, it'll only be Scots who want to watch him. Stupid stupid stupid.

Could anyone do me a dvd of it?
 Michael Ryan 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Snot:

Yip and have WM open!
 Glyn Jones 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Snot: You need to check what IE and WM you have - I had to upgrade on both to get iPlayer to accept.
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Katie Weston)
> Agreed. And doubly stupid BBC, for thinking that because he's Scottish, it'll only be Scots who want to watch him. Stupid stupid stupid.

I have to point out it was commissioned by BBC Scotland. It was BBC in London and the Regions who never picked it up. If you have a complaint, please address this issue with the right people, and don't blame the Scots.
 Snot 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Cheers. Is sorted now.
 DougG 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

I think Kate was blaming the BBC programmers in London, Norrie.

It does seem a strange decision not to show it across the UK, I mean they showed that thing with that woman (forgotten her name, didn't watch it) climbing Commando Ridge and the Old Man of Stoer and it seemed to get a lot of publicity.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Oh I'm not blaming the Scots. I know it's the English BBC who are insular twits.
 Enty 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

"Sorry you appear to be outside the UK"

Bummer!!!!

The Ent ™
 Ridge 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

OK then, since I can get BBC Scotland, first person to reply on this thread wanting a DVD of last night's programme can have one. The only proviso is once you've watched it/copied it or whatever, please post again on this thread and pass it on to the next person that wants to watch it.

Ridge
 Lancs Lad 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

Iw would have been nice to have seen the whoel route shown in 1 without the inserts and talky bits, some added something, but most didnt seem to.

Dave M is a lucky boy, a missus who not only helps him with his dreams, but she loves baking!! I was oddly wondering how often he popped to the supermarket next door for a Ginsters pasty or Pot noodle...
 niallk 25 Oct 2007
In reply to DougG:

Yeah but Dave MacLeod's not a 'sleb outside the climbign community. In the current world of reality TV it would seem most prefer to see somebody ordinary having a wibble slightly outside their comfort zone, than someone pushing the boundaries.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Ridge:
Can I have it? I will pass on pronto.
 Ridge 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

You can indeed. Mail me through the forum with an address and I'll try and get it sent off this weekend.
 Doug 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate: can I be next ? please
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Ridge:
You have mail

If the next person who wants it would like to say here?.. and mail me with their address, I'll pass it on asap.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:
Yep, send me your address

Mike Stretford 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug: Bagsy next after you
 DougG 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

By the way, this isn't the first time the Beeb in London have done this.

There was a BBC documentary about Dougal Haston last year which wasn't shown S of the border.
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> Oh I'm not blaming the Scots. I know it's the English BBC who are insular twits.

OK and I agree with your sentiment.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Btw, did you get my email?
 timo.t 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate: i can t see it wither..would it be possible for someone to post it in video.google.com or youtube?? then less hassle with all the DVD sending thats gonna happen.
 freelancer_85 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Papillon:

Can I have it after you please?

Josh.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to DougG:
When we were in Northern Ireland we saw all these previews for fascinating stuff that wouldn't be shown in England, because, well, we're English aren't we, we don't want to know about anything those foreign Scottish/Irish chappies are up to, do we, what? <bray bray bray>

You do wonder about the people in charge of these decisions sometimes.

Glen 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

Right, just downloaded it (500MB - 5mins, ah the wonder of of university networks).

I may be able to make a DVD, depending on the DRM on it. If it's possible I'll let you all know.
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> Btw, did you get my email?

Yes, sorry, but I don't reply to e-mail sent through UKC. Thanks for being interested about the subject, but I'm not interested in doing what you requested. Yet again, sorry.
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to timo.t:
Ha, that's a good idea!
 gingerkate 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
No need to apologise, I guessed those were your feelings but just wanted to check you'd got it. Thanks.
 Mike Stretford 25 Oct 2007
In reply to freelancer_85: Sure..if I get it.
 Nj 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: Aarrgghh, after all that registering etc, outside the UK: Very annoying. All the Norwegian TV can be seen anywhere, what are the Beeb worried about?? Youtube it someone, pleeeeze...
dinkypen 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Nj:
> (In reply to quadmyre) Aarrgghh, after all that registering etc, outside the UK: Very annoying.

Same here! Grr. Nice how they get you to download the 'invasive' software AND register and only THEN tell you you can't use it 'cos you are outside the UK
 TobyA 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Nj: Yep same here! Five minutes of my life I won't get back!
 Glyn Jones 25 Oct 2007
In reply to dinkypen: Sorry dinky - the front page has T&C which identifies the following;

Please read carefully the terms and conditions for use of BBC iPlayer.

By using BBC iPlayer you agree to be legally bound by these Terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of BBC iPlayer. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all the following terms please do not access and/or use BBC iPlayer.
Use of BBC iPlayer
All BBC Content is selected, supplied and updated at the BBC's sole discretion.
Downloadable BBC Content is available for download within the UK only.
Downloadable BBC Content will only be available for download after its BBC transmission.
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
There are loads of ways the BBC could have supplied this content, and almost all of them would have worked better and more quickly than this special software nonsense.

This is how the BBC justifies its astronomical license fee: by making everything it does as expensive as humanly possible, with the usefulness of the product to those who are forced to pay for it never even discussed.

After all, why bother making it good when your customers get put in prison if they refuse to pay for it?
rich 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
>
> Enjoy!

i did :¬)
OP Justin T 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

There are loads of ways they could have supplied the content - all with advantages and disadvantages. The way they've chosen gives them high quality full-screen full-framerate playback and digital rights management. Hence the large file-sizes, hence the need to implement the distribution as a peer-to-peer solution to keep bandwidth costs down. Comparing the end result to Youtube is like comparing a cd player to music played down a mobile phone.

If it makes you any happier I believe the regulator is 'encouraging' them to look at platform-independent solutions and I recall reading they're looking to implement a solution using Flash.
rich 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: <nods> this was the first one i'd watched and i was pleasantly please by the quality

but then again i guess i'm a member of the last easily-pleased-by-computers generation
 Enty 25 Oct 2007
In reply to dinkypen:
> (In reply to Nj)
> [...]
>
> Same here! Grr. Nice how they get you to download the 'invasive' software AND register and only THEN tell you you can't use it 'cos you are outside the UK

That's what happened to me. B'stards!

The Ent ™
 Doug 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: the chosen method gives quality but at the expense of excluding a lot of the license holders & others. Something more inclusive should have been offered even if the quality was less. I quite often watch 'Les Guignols' on Canal+ - the quality isn't great but its watchable, the BBC should offer something similar and should start offering programmes outside the UK - if they can do it for radio (which they do) why not TV ?
 Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:
> if they can do it for radio (which they do) why not TV ?

I imagine it's something to do with Equity...
 1234None 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Snot:
> (In reply to quadmyre)
> Does anyone else get this message?
>
> Sorry - to use the BBC iPlayer you need the following
> -Windows XP
> -Internet Explorer
> -Windows Media Player
>
> I have all of the above so i don't know what the problem is.

I get that too, and I have all of the above.
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

> way they've chosen gives them high quality full-screen full-framerate playback and digital rights management.

They could've had all that minus DRM with any one of 5 other formats. And why does the BBC need digital rights management? We've already paid for the content.

> If it makes you any happier I believe the regulator is 'encouraging' them to look at platform-independent solutions and I recall reading they're looking to implement a solution using Flash.

I couldn't care less. Whatever they provide will be just like their programmes: utter garbage. They have no incentive to provide anything else because their income is guranteed by law.
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

> Comparing the end result to Youtube is like comparing a cd player to music played down a mobile phone.

Oh and before you knowck Youtube get your head around this: people watch a hundred million programmes a day on Youtube.

When was the last time your wonderful "quality full-screen full-framerate playback and digital rights management" drew that number of viewers to the BBC?
 mav 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
Does anyone know if iplayer copes with Windows Vista?
 Doug 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to Doug)
> [...]
>
> I imagine it's something to do with Equity...

Actors on the radio are also members of Equity ...

Any more possible excuses ?

OP Justin T 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

> I couldn't care less. Whatever they provide will be just like their programmes: utter garbage.

A well-rounded, considered and sensible opinion. Bravo!
OP Justin T 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

> Oh and before you knowck Youtube get your head around this: people watch a hundred million programmes a day on Youtube.

What's that got to do with anything? Millions of people smoke, overeat, are addicted to Oprah. That doesn't make me want to emulate them. Youtube have to compromise heavily on quality to achieve that and people accept it because they're primarily there for the content - or the latest Dan Osman speed-climbing clip.

> When was the last time your wonderful "quality full-screen full-framerate playback and digital rights management" drew that number of viewers to the BBC?

I'm not sure what your point is? More people shop at tesco than waitrose but it's not because the produce is better - quite the opposite.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:
> Actors on the radio are also members of Equity

Yes, so maybe part of the agreement reached with the union was that downloads of TV programs would be restricted but radio ones wouldn't?

Just a guess of course, based on past practice.
gourd 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

> by making everything it does as expensive as humanly possible

Not sure what you're alluding to here, but as far as The Great Climb is concerned (which this climb all started with) the BBC lose more money when a Premier League match is cancelled than was spent on producing this.

tony 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gourd:
> the BBC lose more money when a Premier League match is cancelled than was spent on producing this.

How does that work then, considering that the BBC don't show Premier League matches live?
 grumsta 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Glen:
> (In reply to quadmyre)
>
> Right, just downloaded it (500MB - 5mins, ah the wonder of of university networks).
>
> I may be able to make a DVD, depending on the DRM on it. If it's possible I'll let you all know.

Is that from the BBC? Would be good if there was a non-DRM version available, say from a bit torrent site (though I would never use it as its illegal :P). I cant use the BBC thing because I am on a Mac (I still pay my bloody license fee though!).
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

> Youtube have to compromise heavily on quality to achieve that and people accept it because they're primarily there for the content

Exactly. Youtube's content is excellent. The BBC's content is rubbish. That's why more people look at Youtube than watch the BBC.

> I'm not sure what your point is?

If "quality full-screen full-framerate playback and digital rights management" was a great as you claim it is, everybody would want to watch it.

But they don't, do they?
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gourd:

> Not sure what you're alluding to here, but as far as The Great Climb is concerned (which this climb all started with) the BBC lose more money when a Premier League match is cancelled than was spent on producing this.

Oh, I know!

But this programme wasn't made by the BBC, they only paid for it. I know Dave and Diff and Tony and Dave and I'm heartily glad if they did well out of it.

The BBC as a whole is an exercise in deliberate money-wasting. If they inadvertantly funded something worthwhile, good for us and too bad for them!
kluz 25 Oct 2007
In reply to DougG: Took the Novel-Calculated Risk by Dougal Haston-Adventure and Romance in Scotland and the Alps- to the Alps with me in September, really enjoyed it.
OP Justin T 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

Oh niggle you're such a loon.
Anonymous 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

No one forces you to have a television. If you don't feel like you are getting an acceptable deal out of your TV license then get rid of your TV. Watch YouTube instead perhaps.

>"After all, why bother making it good when your customers get put in prison if they refuse to pay for it?"

Like any product, using it without paying for it isn't right. Either use it and pay for it, or don't use it at all.
 Doug 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Anonymous: but some of us have paid but we can't watch/use !
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

> No one forces you to have a television.

Quite right.

I am however forced to pay for the BBC whether or not I want to use it.

There are certainly a few people within the BBC, just like any organisation, who are good and creative and mean well.

But the BBC as a whole is grossly overfunded. We're talking here about an organisation which has fewer employees than a chain of shops but more costs than a major international corporation.

Therefore every activity the BBC undertakes must waste money - a lot of money. Go have a look at a BBC outside broadcast unit sometime if you don't believe me!
 Phil Lyon 25 Oct 2007
> And why does the BBC need digital rights
> management? We've already paid for the content.

I haven't actually, I have no licence. It's nice that they allow you to download programmes you've not paid for. And they do allow it, in a fit of integrity, we contacted them to check you were allowed.
 Andy Long 25 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: I enjoyed the programme although it looked as though it was roughly improvised after the cancellation of the live broadcast. With not enough material to fill an hour they had to pad it out with some inane blether. They did try to put the climb in context, though I could have done with a bit more about the development of the game. The climbing shots were excellent though, and at least they didn't fall into the tedious "why do they do it" cliche.
 Michael Ryan 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Andy Long:

Why do they do it, Andy?
gourd 25 Oct 2007
In reply to tony:

> How does that work then, considering that the BBC don't show Premier League matches live?

Christ no wonder the licence is soooo expensive, they must be losing a fortune!!

I should have put 'would' in to my OP
gourd 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

> But this programme wasn't made by the BBC, they only paid for it.

But the BBC make very few progs now. Isn't most broadcasting outsourced now?

> The BBC as a whole is an exercise in deliberate money-wasting. If they inadvertantly funded something worthwhile, good for us and too bad for them!

The classic example of a private media company 'outsourcing' is Scottish Television. They used to make some progs, now they make virtually nothing, except news which is as intellectually informative as a cave drawing. If we do the same to the Beeb who do we look to as market leaders in quality?

I knozw they aint perfect but mess with them at your peril. They are one of the most influential media rganisations in the world. Something to be proud of, IMO.
gourd 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
>
> [...]
>
> Quite right.
>
> I am however forced to pay for the BBC whether or not I want to use it.

PS Don't mean to be cheeky (seriously) but I haven't posted in a few months and you just seem to be awfully unhappy a lot of the time. You certainly come across as a bit of a miserable git.

Lighten up niggle. Worse things could happen than having to pay for a licence fee. You might be asked to pay more Tax!!!
In reply to niggle:

hi niggle

over the last couple of days you're increasingly starting to sound like an editorial for the daily mail... are you ok...? or is seasonal affective disorder striking...?

cheers
gregor
 Bob 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

A few comments from someone who works in the industry (but not for the BBC).

> I am however forced to pay for the BBC whether or not I want to use it.
You are only "forced" to pay the license fee if the TV is capable of tuning to a signal - you could remove the tuner (contained in a cigarette packet sized silver box on the circuit board) and view content from video or DVD.

I seem to remember a study from a few years ago that the "cost" of commercial TV was equivalent if you took into account the premium paid on TV advertised goods. £135 a year for unlimited access to all the BBC's output is pretty good value - a basic Sky package (no films or sport) will set you back around £200.
>
> There are certainly a few people within the BBC, just like any organisation, who are good and creative and mean well.
>
> But the BBC as a whole is grossly overfunded. We're talking here about an organisation which has fewer employees than a chain of shops but more costs than a major international corporation.

So overfunded that they are having to cut 1800 jobs.

The BBC does a lot more than simply make programmes. There is a whole technical department that develops system that benefit the whole industry. Many of the advances in TV technology have come from the BBC (or national equivalents such as NDK in Japan)
>
> Therefore every activity the BBC undertakes must waste money - a lot of money. Go have a look at a BBC outside broadcast unit sometime if you don't believe me!

And if you think that the quality of BBC programmes is poor, you only have to look at (locally) ITV for what can best be described as trite tripe. Much of European TV is as bad as ITV while US TV is in a gutter division of its own. The US series we get here amount to approximately 0.01% (pure guestimate!) of American TV output.

boB

niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to gourd:

> you just seem to be awfully unhappy a lot of the time.

Thanks for the concern! Send me some new ice screws and I'll brighten right up!

niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob:

> £135 a year for unlimited access to all the BBC's output is pretty good value

You must be watching a different BBC to me, I've watched about half a dozen programmes on the BBC in the last year or so and I'd hardly describe them as outstanding.
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob:

Have you got a TV or what? The BBC is not what it was in the golden days of the 1950's, it is now like ITV of the 1960's.
In reply to Norrie Muir:

what gems from the 50s would you like to see back norrie...?

gregor
In reply to niggle:

life on mars

planet earth

both fantastic programmes

also QI, mountain, coast... not to everyones taste, but i like them

cheers
gregor
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
>
> what gems from the 50s would you like to see back norrie...?

Nothing, I am happy enough watching Spanish football on Sky.
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob:

> So overfunded that they are having to cut 1800 jobs.

Bo hoo hoo.

They're not cutting the jobs because they have to - it's not like their revenue is any less this year than last - they're cutting them to make more cash available to waste on buying shit programmes.

Believe me, I have friends at the BBC who will most likely lose their jobs at christmas, they have my sympathies.

> There is a whole technical department that develops system that benefit the whole industry.

And of course they give out those technologies for free since they're already paid for, right?

Whoops, no they don't, they make more money out of them by charging us for them twice.
 Bob 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Ah, the old "golden days of my youth" scenario!

Yes we do have a TV, we view via Sky since the local terrestrial reception is poor. I'd say that around 60% of our viewing is of BBC output, 20% C4, 10% Sky channels, 5% ITV with the remainder being spread around the spectrum.

In some respects I agree with you - the information density of programmes like Horizon is much less now than in the 1970s but this is true of pretty well every channel/broadcaster: C4 used to have genuinely good content (partly due to its charter) but has slid into the ratings war. Surprisingly C5 has gone the other way, but not enough to make up for the other channels.

To niggle:

Well if you must watch Eastenders; Strictly Come Dancing and the like, what do you expect?

boB
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> not to everyones taste, but i like them

Then you're very lucky.

But why should people who get hardly any programmes which are to their taste have to pay the same as you?
 niggle 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob:

> Well if you must watch Eastenders; Strictly Come Dancing and the like, what do you expect?

Blimey, last time I watched eastenders Dirty Den was still in it.
 BelleVedere 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

if you don't watch it how do you know that he isn't still in it
 Bob 25 Oct 2007
In reply to niggle:

>
> But why should people who get hardly any programmes which are to their taste have to pay the same as you?

This is perhaps closer to the mark. In the days of limited numbers of channels, the Beeb essentially consisted of 50% of the output available. It also meant that each of the channels had to cater for pretty well everyone's tastes. These days, the TV landscape has changed, channels are increasingly specialised, so the original "rules" are breaking down, quite what will replace them is anyone's guess.

boB

PS. The BBC gave away technical know-how not because they had to but because they saw the benefit of sharing future development costs based on them. Much better to get ITV to cough up 50% of the cost of a transmission mast than pay for one themselves and ITV have to do the same.

Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to es:
> (In reply to niggle)
>
> if you don't watch it how do you know that he isn't still in it

He may work with a bunch of women and it they are like the ones in my work they only talk about soaps. Even I know about soaps and I've never seen one. What is your favorite soap?
 Bob 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

I wondered what the smell was! Pears!

boB

p.s. I don't watch them either.
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob:
>
> p.s. I don't watch them either.

Aye, only bored and frustated women watch them.
 BelleVedere 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to es)
> [...]
>
> He may work with a bunch of women and it they are like the ones in my work they only talk about soaps. Even I know about soaps and I've never seen one. What is your favorite soap?

Coltar - the smell reminds me of my gran
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to es:
>
> Coltar - the smell reminds me of my gran

Really.
 Jamie B 25 Oct 2007
Er, does anyone actually want to talk about Dave's route?

I certainly saw enough to conclusively end any grade speculation.
Geoffrey Michaels 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:

Me too, HVS you think?
 orge 25 Oct 2007
For those with mac, I can upload a DRM free version to my iDisk. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll let you know once I've uploaded it (prob tomorrow).

J
 John2 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Bob: 'you could remove the tuner (contained in a cigarette packet sized silver box on the circuit board) and view content from video or DVD'

Is it possible to buy a high quality LCD sceen which does not contain a tuner but can be connected to a number of different sources?
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:
> Er, does anyone actually want to talk about Dave's route?

This thread is about illegal copies of To Hell and Back, not about climbing. There are other threads about the route, see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=266990&v=1#3959495 ; you can add you input to that one. You can comment on the basic climbing mistakes the team made.
In reply to quadmyre: WOW!!!! that is an amazing film!!!! just watched it and got me well psyched!!!
 Simon Caldwell 26 Oct 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:
Haven't downloaded it yet, after 4 hours last night it was still only up to 85% so I went to bed.
 Matthew B 26 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

If anyone is looking to strip the stupid DRM stuff away, Google FairUse4WM (works equally well with stuff downloaded with the C4's equivalent, 4OD).

Got a Windows laptop now, but used to be very handy to download things on the Windows desktop and then transfer them to the iBook for later viewing...
 Jeff25 26 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

by definition there can only ever be one 'latest' Dan Osman speed climbing clip !!!
 ksjs 30 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: just watched and very much enjoyed this - now wondering if its possible to keep the film:

i downloaded it and the BBC player software then copied the file (the film) to disc. this disc plays the film on the PC i downloaded the file on but it wont play it on other PCs. can i get round this or will the film only ever play on the PC the player software and file was downloaded to?

thanks
 Fiend 30 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

Thanks for that link, watched it and was interesting.

A good film that generally did the climb and climber justice.

However they could have done with explaining the difference between top-rope practise and leading, and his climbing up to protection and downclimbing trick.

Also I would have definitely preferred to see continuous footage of the whole ascent without people's heads and random interviews getting in the way. The seriousness was already well explained, but it started to get in the way of good climbing footage.
 Padraig 30 Oct 2007
In reply to ksjs:

Think it self destructs in 30 days!
 Caralynh 30 Oct 2007
In reply to ksjs:

Correct - it won't work on any other PC unless that PC has iplayer. The bloke put it on CD for me, I have iplayer, and it works.
 gingerkate 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Ridge:
Cheers Ridge, received today and I've just watched it. Really interesting viewing.

I will now send it on to Doug...

Many thanks for passing it on to me, I appreciate it.
 Ridge 30 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

You're welcome.

I'm still an unpleasant curmudgeon though!
 gingerkate 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Ridge:
Are you? I hadn't noticed. There are so many curmudgeons on here that after a while you only notice the curmudgeoning of those who are curmudgeoning at the cutting edge of curmudgeoningness...
 icnoble 30 Oct 2007
In reply to quadmyre: i have the programme on dvd
 Doug 30 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate: Thanks for remembering but I've already downloaded it (see the offer to put it on an iDisk above)

Good film but thought it would have been better with a bit more editing & a better comentary
 gingerkate 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:
Oh, so you're sorted already.

So who is next in the list of people who want it?
 gingerkate 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:
I thought it was a great film, but it worried me. It just worries me. The whole thing of someone putting their life at risk... and us all encouraging them to do so, even if we don't mean to, by posting saying how great it is ... it worries me.

I do realise Dave would be doing it even if it wasn't being filmed, I don't mean that.
 HC~F 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Caralynr:

I've downloaded the programme - how do I now save it to a CD? I can't find the file anywhere....
rich 30 Oct 2007
In reply to HC~F: do a search for 'iplayer'

it put mine in

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Deliveries

but unless you strip the digital rights management off somehow i doubt the CD will work for you
 climbingpixie 30 Oct 2007
In reply to Fiend:

Pretty much my thoughts on it too. I enjoyed it more than E11 actually but I'd have loved to see him do the route in its entirety, including downclimbing from the gear and then back up.
 ksjs 31 Oct 2007
In reply to climbingpixie: agree, i dont really know why - maybe it felt more complete - but i thought it better than E11. as with E11 though, not showing the complete ascent (surely the key part of the film) was a let down.
 AlisonS 31 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
>
> I thought it was a great film, but it worried me. It just worries me. The whole thing of someone putting their life at risk... and us all encouraging them to do so, even if we don't mean to, by posting saying how great it is ... it worries me.
>
I haven't seen the film yet but that comment struck a chord. I encourage people to put their life at risk. People I genuinely care about. I think I'm supporting them in their ambitions. Do I feel uncomfortable about it? Well, yes sometimes, but I'm not sure that I should. Hopefully they'll come home safe having had a brilliant trip and everything will be fine. I don't want to think about the other possibilities. Neither I'm sure, do they.
 MeMeMe 31 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Doug)
> I thought it was a great film, but it worried me. It just worries me. The whole thing of someone putting their life at risk... and us all encouraging them to do so, even if we don't mean to, by posting saying how great it is ... it worries me.
>
> I do realise Dave would be doing it even if it wasn't being filmed, I don't mean that.

It was a bit much for me when his partner (wife?) was crying while belaying, was very uncomfortable viewing.

But I still enjoyed it and watched it to the end, just felt a bit weird with so much emphasis on how he would die if he messed up the crux moves.
MarkM 31 Oct 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

> So who is next in the list of people who want it?

I wasn't on a list but would like to be....

Cheers
Mark
 Postmanpat 01 Nov 2007
In reply to Bob:
> (In reply to niggle)
>
> A few comments from someone who works in the industry (but not for the BBC).
>
> [...]
> You are only "forced" to pay the license fee if the TV is capable of tuning to a signal - you could remove the tuner (contained in a cigarette packet sized silver box on the circuit board) and view content from video or DVD.
>
What,so I can take out the tuner and still watch ITV and Sky ?

> I seem to remember a study from a few years ago that the "cost" of commercial TV was equivalent if you took into account the premium paid on TV advertised goods. > [...]
>
So what,I choose whether to buy those goods each time I go to the shops. I have to pay for the BBC if I watch one programme on ITV. Would you like to go into the newsagent to buy the Guardian and told it would cost 150 quid and you could get the Daily Mail every day ?

> So overfunded that they are having to cut 1800 jobs.
>
The question is how and why they funded the 1800 jobs i the first place.

> The BBC does a lot more than simply make programmes. There is a whole technical department that develops system that benefit the whole industry. Many of the advances in TV technology have come from the BBC (or national equivalents such as NDK in Japan)
> [...]
And the private sector,as per the computer industry,car industry, audio industry etc is incapable of doing this ?
>
It still has some areas of excellence but the thrust of Thompson's cuts seems to be to downgrade these and focus on areas of popularity. The main justification by UKCers for the BBC seems to be the excellence of a small minority of its programming. Why should the BBC produce a lot of non descript rubbish as well, and why should the people who want to watch high quality programming not pay for it ?

pishmishy 01 Nov 2007
If anyone's interested, Dave MacLeod is asking people to leave a comment on one of his blog postings if you'd be interested in seeing To Hell and Back broadcast nationally. See http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2007/10/to-hell-and-back-want-to-see-it-on-...
 JPG 01 Nov 2007
In reply to quadmyre: Personally, I'd like to see the BBC drop programmes like Strictly Come Dancing, Eastenders, Neighbours and Heroes - I fail to see how they fall within the public service remit. I also think that someone's head should roll for the way in which the BBC funds, yet fails to benefit from the success of series like Spooks.

However, I'm a big fan of programmes like Newsnight, This Week, HIGNFY, the wildlife stuff (e.g. meerkats, snow leopards) and the one-off factual stuff like To Hell And Back and the Extreme Jungle programme with Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor.
 Ridge 01 Nov 2007
In reply to JPG:
> (In reply to quadmyre) Personally, I'd like to see the BBC drop programmes like Strictly Come Dancing, Eastenders, Neighbours and Heroes

Nothing wrong with Heroes. I'd rather see programmes like Ewan McGregor and his mate on their holidays scrapped.
 JPG 01 Nov 2007
In reply to Ridge:
> Nothing wrong with Heroes. I'd rather see programmes like Ewan McGregor and his mate on their holidays scrapped.

I never said there was anything wrong with Heroes. However, I'm willing to bet that the BBC had to outbid another channel to get the rights to broadcast Heroes. I'd rather they spent their budget on producing television that isn't so obviously going to be commercially successful.

Can you imagine ITV or Sky deciding to fund a series like Planet Earth? They'd be too busy falling over themselves to sign the latest D-listers to "I'm a celebrity..."!
Geoffrey Michaels 01 Nov 2007
In reply to Ridge:

I liked their programme as it was actually quite interesting, contrast that with Heroes which was voted the worst programme ever.
 gingerkate 02 Nov 2007
In reply to MarkM:
Hello, sorry not had a chance to check the thread for a few days. Will send it on to you if you send me your address
 supafly 02 Nov 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

drat i missed the download!

has anyone got this available for download or was it a stream only..

PLEEEEASE i really want to watch this!
 HC~F 12 Nov 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

ARGH!!!! It told me I had 11 days left to watch this. Settled down last night looking forward to seeing it, and when I clicked 'view now', it told me the license had expired and promptly deleted it from my library!!! What?!

It's gone and I never got to watch it .
rich 12 Nov 2007
In reply to Anonymous: direct link doesn't work for me at least

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=270267
Anonymous 12 Nov 2007
In reply to rich: try another media player in the querystring
 HC~F 12 Nov 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Brilliant! Thanks!!
MarkM 13 Nov 2007
In reply to:

Received this on DVD from Ridge via gingerkate (thanks guys). Having watched and enjoyed it last night it's now up for grabs to whomever was next on the list - or if there was no-one lined up whoever now replies.

Cheers
Mark
 Mike Stretford 13 Nov 2007
In reply to MarkM: Hi Mark

Could I have a look please?

Cheers MIke
MarkM 14 Nov 2007
In reply to Papillon:
Mike

drop me an email through UKC with your address

Cheers
Mark
 Simon Caldwell 21 Nov 2007
In reply to HC~F:
> ARGH!!!! It told me I had 11 days left to watch this. Settled down last night looking forward to seeing it, and when I clicked 'view now', it told me the license had expired and promptly deleted it from my library!!! What?!

Exactly the same thing happened to me last night
nell 21 Nov 2007
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

You don't need to download it to iplayer. You can watch it directly from the main bbc pages as a streaming video:

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?tab=av&q=%22hell+and+...
 Simon Caldwell 22 Nov 2007
In reply to nell:
> You don't need to download it to iplayer. You can watch it directly from the main bbc pages as a streaming video:

Yes, but the video quality is awful, and the sound/picture synch gets gradually worse, it's several seconds out by the end.
 stevefromstoke 22 Nov 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
Does everyone that uses the bbci player know about kservice continuing to run and use bandwidth after u exit the program?

typeing "net stop kservice" in to the cmd window will stop it , or create a .cmd containing "net stop kservice" using notepad will stop it properly
, if u execute it that is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...