UKC

Another jacket thread - Latok, Superfly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike H 28 Oct 2007
After 8 years of use my existing shell is showing signs of giving up the ghost, thinking of giving it a final techwash to see if I can get a bit more wear out of it.

From what I've read it seems that its down to the the Rab Latok, or Montane Superfly.

What are peoples thoughts on these, and are there any other products to be considering. I know alot of people have a lot of good things to say about Paramo but I've never really paid much attention to it.

Basically looking for something capable of 4 season walking, and some summer alpine.

Thanks in advance.
 charl 28 Oct 2007
In reply to Mike H: i have a montane womens superfly for a over a year,which i love. the boyfriend has a rab latok alpine i bought him. i think both are equally great jackets. my superfly has been fab and it's as good as new after a quick reproof.the superfly is lighter than the latok.the latok alpine and superfly are pritty much the same in weight.
depends what one fits the best and how concerned you are about weight.
 Caralynh 28 Oct 2007
In reply to Mike H:

I have a Latok, which needs replacing. Considering the Latok Alpine or Superfly (bit heavy) but changed my mind this weekend and want the new Haglofs Spitz. If you can get hold of one to try on, definitely worth a look.
OP Mike H 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Caralynr: Hmm after a bit of internet browsing came across the Latok Alpine which looks like it could do the job.

Haglofs Spitz looks interesting but only roughly the same weight as the Latok Alpine and almost £100 more!

gear boy 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Mike H: latok has been rediesigned, the new version has pit zips and normal main zip system
the old version had an interesting 2 zip system which gave adjustment in size aswell as good weatherproofing without velcro or press studs
if there are old ones about they should be cheaper
the latok alpine is alot more basic/lighter, and prone to a bit of leakage in heavy wet weather on the front zip
for the 4 season bit i would tend towards the larger slightly longer cut of the latok, but for the alpine bit then latok alpine or even cheaper and more basic as most of the time you dont need a waterproof
 Caralynh 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Mike H:
> (In reply to Caralynr) >
> Haglofs Spitz looks interesting but only roughly the same weight as the Latok Alpine and almost £100 more!

True, but for the same (well, slightly less) weight, you get a lot more features. And the fit (on me, women's version) is much better, and properly tailored. Now I just need some money to get one!

marty marty 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Mike H: am currently in love with TKMaxx. bought a BH force aqua foil jacket (for occassions when im highly likely to destroy/lose my goretex) for £45 (rrp 90), a ladies superfly eVent jck for £39 for mrs Marty (rrp 190), and have seen a BH paclight in there for 100 notes (rrp 250).

its a boring process i guess to wade through...but its a bit like hunting for treasure!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...