UKC

Becoming a Climbing Centre Instructor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
M.Allan 30 Oct 2007
I was wondering if anyone knows what courses and things you have to do to become a Climbing instructor, to become one at a wall?

Thanks
banned profile 74 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan: spa and thats it.well apart from first aid cert
 BelleVedere 30 Oct 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:

I'm not sure a general qualification is always required, but most places will want the SPA or for you to be working towards it (having done the first course, and be logging routes ready to take the test)

You need to have a valid first aid cert to do your SPA.

BelleVedere 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan:

You can use your ILA money to do the SPA training

(sorry if ILA is only a scottish thing)
 Paul at work 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan:

In the new year you will be able to do CWA instead of SPA, Climbing Wall Award. Have a look on the MLTE website for more details.
 Craig Geddes 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan: At present SPA is required. Not sure how well accepted the Climbing Wall Award will become - it could be very popular or it might not the comparable award in the Moutain Leader scheme is the Walking Group Leader and that's never really caught on. But then again it might be very good. Looking at doing the coaching module on it but not bothering with the assessment in order to supplement my SPA.
Sam L 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan: Technically nothing, but most places will probably require you to be SPA. The new award is much quicker to get, and is probably a better award for indoor climbing-apparently it focusses a lot on coaching and movement skills. The downside is that you can't work outside with it.
Sam
OP Anonymous 30 Oct 2007
In reply to M.Allan: Hi there. It depends on the wall. You may not need to have a SPA or a specific climbing qualification as such. Some walls will train you, in house training and they will provide further courses like first aid, working with kids, sports movement, etc. Obviously, some walls are more advanced than others and budgets will impact the training and what they expect from their coaches.

I suggest you decide where you want to live and work, then contact the gyms in the area as to their requirements. As a self employed coach, you'll need insurance and that may only come if you have your SPA, not sure though????

An SPA is very useful if you want to coach outdoors, not necessarily for indoor coaching. But you should be a climber, with good experience. Good experience is relative!!!! hope that helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...