UKC

Peter Harding Obituary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cusco 30 Oct 2007
I thought The Independent's obituary (see the link in the news item on Peter Harding) was interesting, especially the paragraph extracts below.

But the bit about members of the Climbers' Club urinating on him as he abseiled back down is quite disturbing, particularly if it was deliberate. What was all that about?!

Can't really imagine it happening these days. The climbing world now applauds its pioneering stars - usually.

"Nineteen forty-nine proved to be the apogee of Harding's spectacular climbing career. In just two weeks in April he climbed 38 routes, eight of which were first ascents, including the celebrated "Brant Direct" on Clogwyn y Grochan... The route had already been attempted by members of the Climbers' Club who had been trying to "peg" their way up it for three days. As Harding approached they taunted him, saying that when it was complete it would make all his routes look like a "Sunday school picnic". In response he simply free-climbed it there and then. (When his audience had recovered from their astonishment, they signalled their appreciation of his effort by urinating on him as he abseiled back down.)"
In reply to Cusco:

Wonder if that's the origin of the route name Sunday School Picnic in the Pass.

Actually, probably not, because I think it's Sunday School Outing.

Sounds a rather improbable story. I would be interested to know the source.

jcm
 alan edmonds 31 Oct 2007
In reply to Cusco:

Reminiscent of the "car-wash" scene in Das Boot; a sign of respect for the captain of the U boat.
 Mick Ward 31 Oct 2007
In reply to Cusco:

> But the bit about members of the Climbers' Club urinating on him as he abseiled back down is quite disturbing, particularly if it was deliberate. What was all that about?!

> Can't really imagine it happening these days.

Hmm... In the 1970s, I was making the second ascent of a route in the Mournes, immediately after the first. Pulling round an overhang, I received an 'unwonted precipitation', courtesy of the first ascentionist. It seems that he was a tad miffed at my somewhat casual approach to his, ahem, masterpiece. He is, I am informed, currently a pillar of the legal establishment (the phraseology providing a subtle key to his identity.)

Mick
 Al Evans 31 Oct 2007
In reply to Cusco: Peter was made an honorary member of the CC, so if the anecdote is true he had the last laugh on those particular CC members.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...