UKC

NEWS: Stephen Venables and Mike Robertson Win At Banff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 02 Nov 2007
Success for Stephen Venables and Mike Robertson at the Banff Mountain Book Festival.

Stephen Venables won the Best Book — Mountain Literature with his, Higher Than the Eagle Soars, and Mike Robertson the Mountain Exposition award for his Rockfax guidebook, Deep Water.

Full report at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Simon 02 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Well done Mikey - a deserved award for a groundbreaking concept...

...Hard lines Grimer - next year Froggatt will be the one to beat!

si
 AlisonS 02 Nov 2007

Brilliant. Congratulations to Stephen and Mike. I'm pleased for John Harlin III winning the history prize too.
OP Michael Ryan 02 Nov 2007
In reply to AlisonS:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Brilliant. Congratulations to Stephen and Mike. I'm pleased for John Harlin III winning the history prize too.

....and Glen Denny the Mountain image prize; that book is on my Christmas list...

steve taylor 02 Nov 2007

Wahey - does that make my autographed copy of Deep Water worth something - could be the next Extreme Rock if the Rockfax guys destroy all the files!

Well done Mikey - will you be out celebrating tonight in Wareham, or are you still putting up Christmas Lights?
In reply to steve taylor:
> Well done Mikey - will you be out celebrating tonight in Wareham, or are you still putting up Christmas Lights?

He's in Canada to pick up the prize! Arrived 3 hours before the ceremony!

Brilliant news though, and incredibly well deserved when you consider the vast scope of the book. Also great to note what good shape UK guidebooks are in - prize winners for two years on the trot and two finalists again this year.

Alan
 Niall Grimes 03 Nov 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: yeah, congratualtions to mike and you all. Now he has to find a place for an enormous piece of glass, or, as fortunately befell me, drop it half a mile from the house and be left with a tasteful shard.
mike robertson 05 Nov 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Just got home, Banff was a blast! Too much rum, too little sleep... Haven't reduced the glass trophy to a mere shard yet, but was quite an effort to get it home in one piece...

Big thanks from all who helped with the guide and made it all possible, esp Alan and Mark for their dedication to the project. All good fun...

Mikey rrr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...