UKC

msr zoid opinions sought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ok.

i have the chance of buying one of these off a mate for 65 quid. seems like it could be a bit of a bargain. however i seek opinions of people who know/ own this tent.

is it any good? i have just read a few reviews and they complained that it actually leaked when it rained. is this true?

also they said it can be a bit cold as it is a mess inner. i always thought mess inners where good stop you get condensation etc everywhere.

i know very little about tents but would be using it for british spring/summer/autumn.

if the feedback is negative please could anyone suggest a relatively light one man tent for less than £100.

many thanks

HC~F 03 Nov 2007
In reply to a_radiohead_fan:

I've got one. I love the way you have a door both sides - very handy when sharing. I haven't noticed it leaking, and I'm pretty sure I've used it in the rain... In fact, I used it on the KIMM two years ago and I'm sure it was raining.

The only thing I have noticed is it seems to have shrunk very slightly - in that when I clipped the inner to the poles I remember I had to pull harder than I felt comfortable with - but saying that it didn't rip or anything!
In reply to HC~F:

oh yes forgot to mention it is the 1.5 model.

do you it cold with the mess inner?
 blondel 03 Nov 2007
Although I've not used one, it's what I would buy if I could afford it. If you don't buy your mate's tent, tell him I will!
 HC~F 04 Nov 2007

I've got the 1.5 as well. I did notice it's a little more draughty with the mesh inner, but on the other hand when I used my laser I got dripped on all night with the condensation - which would you prefer?! It also means it's far more comfortable in the heat - I slept in it in Costa Blanca and you can tie up both sides and let the air through, but still be zipped up away from biting insects!
almost sane 05 Nov 2007

Mesh inners are colder than fabric inners.
Mesh inners are lighter than fabric inners.
Mesh inners do not keep blown sand out. Fabric inners do.
Both will keep biting insects out.
Which of the above is more important to you?

Condensation:
Condensation rarely forms on the inside of fabric inner tents, except in extreme cold conditions, when frost will form on the inner (I am talking minus ten or lower).
Almost all condensation forms on the inside of the waterproof outer.
This condensation comes from the people inside the tent (mostly your breath, but also sweat if you are very warm) and from the vegetation covered by the flysheet but open to the air (in the porch).
To reduce condensation, increase the amount of ventilation under the flysheet. Some tents have vents for this. Some tents, you need to leave the door open a bit. You can also reduce condensation by putting a cover of some form over the porch area of your tent, but this means you need to carry more gear...
The difference between fabric and mesh inner is: any condensation on the inside of the flysheet is more likely to drip on you if you have a mesh inner.
In reply to almost sane:

thanks for that. you have really made the difference between mesh and fabric very clear. weight aint the most important thing (though i dont want a tent that is really heavy) the chill factor is. from what you have written the zoid is definately not the way forward for me.

so i need a one man tent with a fabric liner that aint to bulky and heavy and costs less than 100 quid. any suggestions?
 Siward 05 Nov 2007
In reply to a_radiohead_fan: Some good value Aztec tents on

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/tents-brand-aztec-tents-c-17_290_291.html?gcl...

But perhaps a wee bit heavy. Similar I guess to brands such as Coleman and Gelert.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...