UKC

Montane extreme vs superfly xt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SuperK 12 Nov 2007
Montane extreme vs superfly xt, which is better for winter? anyone tried both? i know a lot of people worship at the alter of extreme, but ive not heard much about the superfly xt. thoughts?
 PeterM 12 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK:

You're comparing apples and oranges. The extreme is a pile/pertex single layer, the XT an eVent shell jacket. The extreme you could wear on its on, the XT you (or at leat I) wouldn't. The XT is best with a couple of layers underneath.

PeterM
SuperK 12 Nov 2007
In reply to PeterM: thanks, what the events breathability like? better or worse then gore? i imagine the pile is better then both
 PeterM 12 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK:

I found the eVent to be better than goretex. I'm a sweaty git, and there was a noticeable improvement. I do not have the extreme smock, but the Buffalo Special 6 which is brilliant and even on very bad days all you need. The venting options are great and the expeditin hood is better than the standard and fits over a helmet. The only possible problem is when you are at rest you may chill, and may require a belay jacket or something over it. To be fair you'd probably need this with XT option. FYI I wore a Rab VR top under a unlined schoeller jacket and the Rab latok eVent on top.

HTH

PeterM
 Rawstron1 12 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: Yep, bot of a non-starter on the comparison front. I have a Montane Extreme and love it. I used to have the Buffalo Special 6 but didn't like the cut of it too much. Plus, the Extreme comes with a great hood which would cost you about £20 from Buffalo...that's a potential difference of about £40 for basically the same product. I think the Montane might be a little warmer though. The p and p top does wick and breathe well and I've never been cold in it even when it's been soaked. It's too warm for vigorous walking though, especially if you're a sweaty git like me. It's indestructible, warm and vents well but you'll only get best use out of it on a very cold day.
SuperK 12 Nov 2007
In reply to Rawstron1:

i also sweat bucketloads, as well as running quite hot, which is why im a bit worried about the breatability of a event shell.

if an extreme is to warm for walking, how do you go on the walk in? use a thermal top or something?

is there anything like the extreme but not quite as hot? ill probably be using it in a new zealand summer, which still has plenty of snow and ice and foul weather, but it can get quite hot up on the glaciers and walking in. is there a cooler version of the extreme that i could combine with a belay jacket for stops?
sam_seed 13 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: Rab vapour-rise. I also have the extreme and have found it great - even for the walk in. Just undo all the zips on it and yer grand. If however you find it to hot for you then the vapour rise will do the job, same kinda jacket cept not as warm. Try them on tho - you should know yourself straight away and fit is everything.
noxious 13 Nov 2007
In reply to sam_seed:
> (In reply to SuperK) Rab vapour-rise.

2nd that. I have the extreme which is the best bit of kit I rarely use!
It is just not cold enough to warrant it.
I can only wear it if it goes below 0c (or 'feels like' wind chill temps)
Bought a Vapour-rise and it is an Extreme for normal conditions.

merchant of menace 13 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: on walk ins i undo all zips. this usually does all for not overheating. ive used mine all year round summer on cuillins or multi pitching in wales winter in scotland and alps skiing. the most versatile bit of kit i got
SuperK 14 Nov 2007
In reply to noxious: Has anyone used the montane flux? i only had a look at it on their website but it looks similar to an extreme, but cooler.
In reply to SuperK:

> Has anyone used the montane flux? i only had a look at it on their website but it looks similar to an extreme, but cooler

Well, the Flux isn't pile/pertex; it's a lightweight synthetic duvet/belay jacket, and doesn't have the same degree of venting options that allow a 2P garment to work across a wide range of temperatures and activity. It wouldn't be very comfortable worn next to the skin, either, as the inner face would stick to sweaty skin.

Apples and oranges again...
 ben b 14 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: Hi there, wonder if some examples might help to clarify maybe:

1) Event stuff is more breathable than Paclite/XCR/ProShell etc but is still a conventional layering system. It's as warm as the layers underneath in effect. It's not as breathable as an uncoated system. 3 layers of icebreaker + Superfly on top + wet snow falling = Coronet peak to yourself for a while but cold on the lifts!

2) "Winter Soft shell" stuff like Buffalo and the Montane Extreme is very insulated, very breathable, and very horrible when the sun comes up on the glacier. I had a montane extreme smock and IMHO it was better than the Buffalo version for me and the hood was great, but got most use in scottish winter grovelling. I did carry it in summer for some years for putting on at stances, lunch etc. I couldn't exercise in it outside of winter without overheating even with all the zips open and nothing underneath. I wore it in a damp and gloomy French Ridge hut a few years ago in lovely Matukituki rain when we were stormed in but not whilst squelching back out...

3) "Summer soft shell" is again not waterproof as such but less insulated and more breathable. It's more versatile but IMHO not enough for really nasty conditions. Rab Vapour Rise and Marmot Driclime are the usual types. I have a VR smock which is very useful (and I wore last year whilst not getting to Barron Saddle in February, and telemarking near Tekapo a few years back). If the forecast is bad or uncertain I usually take my Montane Event jacket just in case to go over it if it's pouring down.

4) "Belay jackets" are basically like down jackets that don't contain any down i.e. designed to be put on when stationary, and can go with any of the above systems if needed. Usually synthetic insulation or pile and not too concerned about getting wet. I have a thin one (like a Patagonia puffball) made by Haglofs but would bet a Rab Photon if buying a new one. It gets used on mountain marathons if bad weather in camp, scraping the ice off the car, lunch stop when tramping in Arthurs Pass, you get the idea. I was given a thick one many years ago that was like a giant Buffalo, made by Remploy, and I can't recall ever using it!

Hope this helps with your decisions,

Ben B
Blackdiamond1212 14 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: I'd reccommend the superfly xt a lot, I've got one and it's superb for everything I've done outdoors, skiing, snowboarding, walk ins, belaying etc.
eVENT is very breathable compared to goretex xcr, I'm also one of the sweaty git crew.
SuperK 15 Nov 2007
In reply to ben b: cool thanks man, thats quite helpful. i dont think ill be getting the extreme then cos ive dont recall ever being truly cold in nz and ive been out in a few horrible days in my old snowboarding jacket. a lighter softshell sounds like the way forward. montane duality maybe. ive got an ok shell that will go over it if its really pishing. ha, ill be asking about pants when ive got more money, dont go anywhere!
Garry Hughes 15 Nov 2007
In reply to SuperK: I have a duality smock. It's nowhere near as warm as the extreme, which I also have, but find too hot. I use the duality as a base layer and walk in in it. Stick a powershield jacket on top for climbing and find this a great combination.

The velcro fastening method on the duality's hood is facking shit though and the drawcords flap in your face. Otherwise it's a superb bit of kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...