UKC

NEWS: Steve McClure - Bad Ass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Nov 2007
"250 routes at 8a
124 routes at 8a+
64 routes at 8b
24 routes at 8b+ two of which were onsight
22 routes at 8c
7 routes at 8c+

and six routes at the magic grade of 9a..now that is a lot of climbing," so says Alastair Lee.

"We are all a bunch of club runners and Steve McClure is an olympic athlete,...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Nj 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I can only count 4 9a's. Mutation, Northern Lights, Rainshadow and Overshadow (9a+!). What are Steve's other two 9a's? Nerdy question from a nerd...
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Nj:

Hmmm. Is he including link ups?
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to seagull:

That Foundry thing's a bit pointless. It would have been news if Steve HADN'T flashed all the routes seeing as the hardest one's only 8a, four grades below his onsight limit.

Smitz 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: He's probably done more routes above 7c than I have done routes at any grades in total in my entire life jesus christ
 IanJackson 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ai, but wants he done on grit?
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Smitz:

It's true that Steve is in a different league to anyone else in the country at the moment.
 Mike Stretford 15 Nov 2007
In reply to IanJackson: Some very hard problems.
 nz Cragrat 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Papillon:

Hasn't Dani Andrada (Mr 8a) done some ridiculous amount of 8a's and above?
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Yeah but the last time I checked he was still Spanish. I think the point is how far ahead Steve is of everyone else here.
 MNA123 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I saw him training in the foundry a few weeks back, he's a lot smaller (and skinier) then i thought he'd be!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think we should plot the graph.
 Nic 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:

Yes he is incredibly small and skinny isn't he - not someone you want on your side in a scrap!
 nz Cragrat 15 Nov 2007
In reply to seagull:

I agree but didn't take the OP as being specifically British oriented compared to hard climbers oriented
 ste mac 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:

that was my body double, I'm really tall and fat.

The 6 9a's I agree include 2 link ups which strictly arn't roues in their own right (Ben's roof into evolution and boyband/stamina band traverse). They get the grade for effort though and 6 sounds so much better than 4.......
 MNA123 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to Adam Moroz)
>
> Yes he is incredibly small and skinny isn't he - not someone you want on your side in a scrap!

Maybe if the others boys were a lot bigger you could push him in first and run off. He might surprise you by snapping them all in half with his fingers of steel....
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to ste mac:

I don't think anyone's going to argue......
In reply to ste mac: Yeh, I saw the fat guy at Rochdale. What a punter!
 MNA123 15 Nov 2007
In reply to ste mac:
> (In reply to Adam Moroz)
>
> that was my body double, I'm really tall and fat.
>
Ha

Nic 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:

>>> He might surprise you by snapping them all in half with his fingers of steel....

It is a well known fact that Steve has no finger strength at all...he doesn't actually need any to pull up his 4 stone bulk...
 Alastair Lee 15 Nov 2007
In reply to ste mac: Those stats are out of date now anyway? I know you said you fell off near the top on a couple of 8b+'s (on sight attempts) on your recent trip to the States?

Having met the real Steve in the flesh on our many filming outings I can confirm that the real Ste Mac is fact pretty fat, he's lying about being tall though.
 slacky 15 Nov 2007
In reply to IanJackson:
> Ai, but wants he done on grit?

Elder Statesman HXS 7a/7b

Not sure on the quote but its along the lines of....

"The single hardest move I've ever done"

youtube.com/watch?v=cv72RJD6jLo&
 JLS 15 Nov 2007
In reply to seagull:

>"That Foundry thing's a bit pointless."

Yeah, a punters competition. I always said they'd set the bar too low.
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to JLS:

In reply to JLS:

I was referring to the reporting. "Steve onsights an 8a and some easier stuff at a climbing wall". Not exactly Earth shattering stuff. Although if it's designed to demoralise the hordes of punters who are failing on these routes then I suppose it'll do the job.........

Andy Farnell 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Alastair Lee:
> Having met the real Steve in the flesh I can confirm that the real Ste Mac is fact pretty fat, he's lying about being tall though.

Positively lard assed I thought, when watching Steve climb.

Andy F
In reply to Alastair Lee:
> (In reply to ste mac)
>
> Having met the real Steve in the flesh on our many filming outings I can confirm that the real Ste Mac is fact pretty fat, he's lying about being tall though.

Yes... it's hard to believe how fat he is... you sure know how to make those lens' work to get him in the shot. It's a good job it's shot in 16:9...

Clauso 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I assumed that this thread was related to a tragic case of curry poisoning...
 jas wood 15 Nov 2007
In reply to IanJackson:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Ai, but wants he done on grit?

elder arete ! a sought after route at curbar given xs 7a and much much more.

world class for a brotton lad !

jas
 jas wood 15 Nov 2007
In reply to seagull: your challenge is not with steve mclure or for that matter the numbers it,s with yourself
 seagull 15 Nov 2007
In reply to jas wood:
> (In reply to seagull) your challenge is not with steve mclure or for that matter the numbers it,s with yourself

Amen to that. Nothing challenges me more than myself.

Ackbar 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Not really on topic but why does Elder arete not get an E grade. The protection is placed on route and the fall doesn't look like too much fun. One of the best looking routes in the peaks in my opinion. Looks totally impossible from beneath.
 MNA123 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Ackbar:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Not really on topic but why does Elder arete not get an E grade. The protection is placed on route and the fall doesn't look like too much fun. One of the best looking routes in the peaks in my opinion. Looks totally impossible from beneath.

A total guess but maybe because it was headpointed and not onsighted. I don't know for sure though....
rehab21 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:
> (In reply to Ackbar)
> [...]
>
> A total guess but maybe because it was headpointed and not onsighted. I don't know for sure though....

Something to do with the extremely low probability of anyone onsighting the crux, which is a series of hard dynamic moves during which the climber cannot stop?
 Alex1 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Ackbar:

He just said he had no experience of grading grit routes of that style so couldn't offer an accurate grade.
 Mark Stevenson 15 Nov 2007
In reply to various: Have any of the people commenting here actually flashed an 8a competition route? More to the point, have they ever entered high-level climbing competitions?

I know a host of 'good' climbers who can't climb for toffee when it comes to competition routes and I think it will be very interesting how many of the 'names' will actually put themselves to the test and enter the leading ladder. Flashing 8a easily puts you at British Team standard and given Ste hasn't focused on comps for years, that's pretty impressive.

Well done Steve, and I look forward to enter the Ladder at several of the walls closer to me.
 aln 15 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: On this youtube.com/watch?v=cv72RJD6jLo& after the rest, Steve throws his foot up ridiculously high. Is he pulling on the ropes as he does it?
 IanJackson 15 Nov 2007
In reply to slacky: Well you shut me up!
 seagull 16 Nov 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
> (In reply to various) Have any of the people commenting here actually flashed an 8a competition route? More to the point, have they ever entered high-level climbing competitions?
>

Never flashed an 8a in a comp but got pretty close to some 7c+s (8a onsight was pretty much the top level in the World then though). Got to 1/4 finals of a World Cup leading comp having qualified through the British open and International open. Top ten in the first ever Foundry Lead comp. 24th in an invite only International Masters comp. etc etc Will that do to justify being allowed to comment? It was all a very long time ago.......

> I know a host of 'good' climbers who can't climb for toffee when it comes to competition routes and I think it will be very interesting how many of the 'names' will actually put themselves to the test and enter the leading ladder. Flashing 8a easily puts you at British Team standard and given Ste hasn't focused on comps for years, that's pretty impressive.
>
> Well done Steve, and I look forward to enter the Ladder at several of the walls closer to me.

I still say 8a onsight is piss for Steve especially on a wall (where it's much easier to onsight than outdoors). Not saying it's not a good effort it's just so well within his ability that it's not really worth reporting. It's only my opinion and it's not important anyway.
 mattsccm 16 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Whats he like 100 foot above a loose spike runner in the rain in nailed boots? 2 grades above his usual level.
Who in the hell cares a toss about plastic.
 UKB Shark 16 Nov 2007
In reply to mattsccm: Who in the hell cares a toss about plastic.

I find your comnments offensive - Jason Murkle and Brittany Mertle thats who

http://www.4spe.org/foundation/scholarships.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...