UKC

Auz or New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Williams 20 Nov 2007
Hi there
I’m having a mid life crisis and want to plan a trip of a lifetime. Australia and New Zealand is very appealing. I would to like to live and work over there for 1-2 years but not sure where. Probably I would stay in one area for 6-12 months to gain work experience and perhaps travel before returning to the UK.

Can anyone recommend good climbing areas (plus good social scenes) for both countries? Are the Blue Mountains and Tasmania the best places in Australia? I’m not sure about NZ. And if you had to choose which country is the best for climbing and weather!!!
 AdrianC 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams: Bit early for a mid-life crisis - no?

Whether Oz is better than NZ depends on what you're looking for. If you like droughts then Australia is the place for you right now. The Blue Mts and Tassie certainly have some great cragging and Tas in particular has great bushwalking.

If you want mountains then you're better off coming to NZ but don't expect the sunny periods to last for five years at a stretch here.

If it happens that the climbing is actually secondary to experiencing somewhere different and getting away from the familiar then the sometimes bizarre landscapes, strange fauna and overall feel of Australia might suit your purposes better than the clean and green of NZ.
 Chad123 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams:

Hi,

Spent 2-3 years living out there a few years ago and loved both countries. Oz is better if you like warmer weather and stunning beaches and good cragging (blue mountains (NSW) and Arapiles (VIC) and Moonarie (SA) especially, Tasmania was ok), but NZ wins if you prefer stunning mountain scenery and adventurous climbing in a superb setting, eg Twin Stream, Chinaman's Bluff(though the cragging is not bad either at places like Wanaka and Paynes Ford for example!) Neither is a world class climbing destination on a par with Yosemite, Squamish et al, though Castle Hill is world class bouldering and better scenery than Font....if going to NZ try and live in South Island, so many more options and crags and you can still nip over to the north island from time to time.

I lived in Sydney and Christchurch and both were great places to live, Sydney is a much better city but Christchurch wins for the wealth of quality outdoor stuff you can do there - mountain biking, kite surfing, skiing, climbing and more all on your doorstep. I think Christchurch is a nicer temperate climate (Sydney was 42 degrees in mid summer) but this of course means some rain, was drier than UK though (not on west coast!) Mountains mean that you can usually find one side of the country rain free.

So overall I'd go to NZ unless you are a dedicated crag rat who likes beaches and city life....also the people or so friendly in NZ and the small amount of climbers mean you soon know plenty of locals. Paynes Ford at Easter and new years is very memorable social experience.

hope this helps, e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Chad

OP Williams 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams:

thanks guys. i guess i could just do both, they aren't that far from eachother! new zealand does look amazing and australia looks cool especially sydney.

Pan Ron 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams:

Mid-life crisis? The usual remedy is to move to Bangkok rather than NZ. Get yourself an apartment or long-term hotel room somewhere on Sukhumvit and spend your days and evenings in titty bars, brothels and beer halls.

NZ is a bit dull, weather is kind of crap, there is an ongoing methamphetamine epidemic and a solid section of the Christchurch population would happily vote for the nazi party if they had the chance. Australia is better in terms of climate, but is a bit "generic" as a destination.

Al Evans 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams: Hey cobber, slab my balls with a dingo, Auz is its sunday name, get into Oz before yer rutt the sheilas over there.
bergalia 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Williams) Hey cobber, slab my balls with a dingo, Auz is its sunday name, get into Oz before yer rutt the sheilas over there.

Come now Al - you know very well that under the 2007 Wildlife Act (sub-section 5a - para 221) it is now illegal to slab one's balls witha dingo. However ball slabbing with an echidna is still acceptable in Queensland, Victoria and certain areas of New South Wales.
 peas65 20 Nov 2007
In reply to Williams:

Go for NZ, its amazing i would go againa and again, it is an amazing place and doable where as oz is too flat and would take forever to see it all, you will not belive the mountains in nz wow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...