UKC

Is there snow on Scafell or Helvellyn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peas65 22 Nov 2007
HiFolks am off walking tomorrow as it is supposed to snow overnight tonight on the high peaks.fingers crossed

Is there any snow around yet? I cant see from my office.
mydogsgotalimp 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65: Quick look down ennerdale from my office window, smiles smugly. No snow visible. There was a light covering high on the western flanks of gable earlier in the week
 Ridge 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Cloud's too low to see. They're forecasting well below zero tonight, so might be something tomorrow. If it's clear when I get up in the morning I can tell you how Skiddaw, Grasmoor and the Buttermere areas are looking, but it has to be very clear to see Sca Fell.
 Ridge 22 Nov 2007
In reply to mydogsgotalimp:
> (In reply to peas65) smiles smugly.

<nods smugly back>
OP peas65 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Thanks guys, stop with the smugness, i can see the shap section of the M6, oh yeah whos jealous now!
Simon22 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to peas65)
>
> Thanks guys, stop with the smugness, i can see the shap section of the M6, oh yeah whos jealous now!

Not me I can see the housing of south Leeds through the gloom, lovely it is.........
Removed User 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65: There is no snow on High Street. Helvellyn has a heavy shower over it so can not see, expect it may be showering snow on the summit however, it is getting colder from now on today.
 Skyfall 22 Nov 2007
As I look out at Birmingham I could be jealous but I'm off to hopefully sunny Mallorca on Saturday for some mildly warm rock so am not that bothered
In reply to peas65: too misty to see at the moment. It should be icy up there in the morning. Try http://www.214fells.com/live.html later?
 grumsta 22 Nov 2007
Cant see any snow on the southern bits I can see from Lancaster.

By the way does anyone know for a clueless person like me how I can identify the hills I can see from here?

(look at a f&^%ing map I hear you say :P)
 Dark-Cloud 22 Nov 2007
In reply to grumsta: Depends which way you are looking North, North West or North East ?
OP peas65 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Hmmm might head to helvellyn its always a good bet for early snow, you should be able to tell the fells

Coniston fells on the left, langdales in the middle and kentmere on the right, thats probably all you can see from lancaster.
 Carolyn 22 Nov 2007
In reply to grumsta:
You can usually spot the Fairfield Horseshoe from Lancaster - Langdale Pikes are pretty distinctive too (but I can't remember if you can see them from the town).

Have just driven the wrong way to see the lakeland fells, but there's no snow the other side of the Solway.....
Removed User 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65: There is now, patches. 4pm.
 Ridge 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Getting cold now, lots of promising clouds...
 Neil Conway 22 Nov 2007
In reply to grumsta:
Here's a panorama from Ward Stone, one of the Bowland Fells to your East.
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/Wardsstone.gif
OP peas65 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Oh dear am getting a bit over excited now- who bets its raining tomorrow!
Removed User 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65: Rain on Saturday, until then, Thursday and Friday nights hard frost.
Removed User 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65: Tiny patches of snow on Scafell today on the webcam. No sign of snow elsewhere. The Lakelandcam website shows no snow on the Coniston fells, nor Fairfield and Hart Crag.
Clear and cold tomorrow, with heavy rain on Saturday is the forecast.
http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/
 Alan M 22 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

I was on Helvellyn last sunday left the car park (swirls)in the rain headed up into the clouds and above 750m there was snow alright and quite a bit of it too tops of gullies filling in and cornices forming on North and east faces. Not sure whats happened since then though. Was definitly winter on the tops last weekend but as this is still November and England its probably all gone by now.
 grumsta 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Neil Conway:

Brilliant thanks, thats just what I was after. Looks like the view from my bathroom window :P
 Ridge 23 Nov 2007
In reply to peas65:

Brrrrr! Well no sign of snow, but it's been a cold clear night. No cloud at present, apart from one lenticular one over Caldbeck. Skiddaw, Grasmoor, Buttermere and the lumpy bit I think is the Sca Fell massif all look nice and frosty.
Looks like a great day!
mydogsgotalimp 23 Nov 2007
In reply to Ridge: Aye, looks fantastic, a real shame to be in work. I think I'm starting to feel poorly!
In reply to Simon22: I can just about see the window from my desk but nothing beyond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...