UKC

Arc'teryx Fission LT Hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kmabbsy 25 Nov 2007
Hi,

As anyone got this coat and could let me know what they think?

Or, perhaps give me some pointers as to an alternative?

Only downer as far as I can see £250 UK, £180 in US....rip off britain!!!!!!!

Cheers in advance...

Kmabbsy
 GarethSL 25 Nov 2007
In reply to kmabbsy:

Hi,

I had the Fission AR for a while but sold it as it was too much, to warm and sweaty for uk weather. The LT is windstopper so might not be as bad. but its still not all that breathable so I imagine its not going to feel much different, plus it only has 10g less insulation than the AR. If I were you i'd look into:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Solo-Jacket

I imagine that would be much cheaper and more suited to uk conditions.

ps: with Arc'teryx gear if you want something thats not on sale in the uk call or email Howard Carter at:

http://www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk

He'll specially order in anything you want at no cost, you can change your mind at any time and his services are excellent.
kmabbsy 25 Nov 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

Cheers for the quick response Gaz.

I'm gonna be out in Chicago, around the lakes hiking next month, temps around 0-5 daytime, windy and rainy. Do you think it'd be suitable for that?

Anything else you could recommend?
 GarethSL 25 Nov 2007
In reply to kmabbsy: well windy the lt would be fine if its very cold. with the solo its lighter (i imagine has a windproof face) and one can chuck a shell over the top. essentially the choice is yours. Fiss AR cold and very wet, LT cold and windy, Solo if you preffer layering.
 GarethSL 25 Nov 2007
In reply to kmabbsy: ps if your hiking i deffinatley reconmend the solo, will be more breathable, and if its wet which its most likley to be in the lakes then it will probably be quite humid.
kmabbsy 25 Nov 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

Thanks again Gaz.

Could I ask what you used the AR for?

I'm also hoping to be able to use it back here in the UK (cotswolds) for some walking and standing around at the rugby. I'm not seriously hardcore, so something that would work all-round would be best for me.

I've been recommended the RAB Belay...not sure if that'd be warm enough?
 GarethSL 25 Nov 2007
In reply to kmabbsy: It was mainly used as an all out warm waterproof for skiing, belay jacket, pub but really got used in the alps measuring glaciers in a storm. But was just too warm I think it was because it was waterproof. Thus i couldnt justify keeping a £375 coat that could only be used in exceptionally shitty weather. Cant speak for the rab jacket though.

best to wait for the oppinions of others first.
 Andy Mott 29 Nov 2007
In reply to kmabbsy:

I had the Fission LT and sold it unworn in eBay a month or so back. Got it for a Himalayan trip I couldn't go on, but it was cheap as part of a semi-sponsorship support deal so not too hard on the wallet. I liked it, but wouldn't rave about it.

I also have a PHD Zeta Belay Jacket which feels softer, lighter and less bulky than the Fission, and has a water resistant outer with taped shoulders so most rain/snow is shed. These things are rated to approx -10 and Ian Parnell uses one for winter alpine routes (like the Lafaille route on the Drus) so they're tough enough. Best of all they cost £170

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=82

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...