UKC

The Yeti...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nz Cragrat 02 Dec 2007
It doesn't go away

http://tinyurl.com/22w4ol
OP nz Cragrat 02 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

does anyone believe it? or not?
 Trangia 02 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I find it hard to believe in it bearing in mind just how popular climbing and treking in the Himalayas has become. Tens of thousands of people must visit them these days, yet since Shipton's sighting of foot prints over half a century ago, there has been no scientifically backed sighting, and no photograph of a Yeti.

I suspect that it's existence is about as plausible as Nessie.
OP nz Cragrat 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Trangia:

So you are a believer...

Nessie is obviously true too
Anonymous 02 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat: similar creatures are common in the high mountains

Yetis are a mountain ape rumoured to exist around and above the snowline in the Himalayas, and are one of the key areas of study for cryptozoologists. Reports of them being in the Cairngorms of Scotland, however, are new to me - although there are apparently tales of 'the old grey man of Ben Macdui', which appears to be a Scottish relative (true climbers refer to this mysterious beast as 'Norrie Muir'). It's interesting to note that few areas of the world are without their legends of mysterious human-like creatures that live in the woods or other uninhabited areas
 Trangia 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> It's interesting to note that few areas of the world are without their legends of mysterious human-like creatures that live in the woods or other uninhabited areas
>

Troll! Troll!

Adam Long 02 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

There's a very good, if short, review of the evidence in this month's BBC Wildlife magazine, including a fairly recent photo taken by a experienced himalayan guide in a group with several others who confirm the story.

Both Bhutan and Nepal have reserves set aside from them, note that in these areas the local's stories of tigers were only confirmed by 'science' recently. There is also the yeti hair whose DNA oxford uni have been unable to recognise... and of course Don Whillans' twenty minute long sighting.

I'd certainly like to believe in them, there's plenty we don't know about out there.
OP nz Cragrat 03 Dec 2007
In reply to Adam L:

Me too
bergalia 03 Dec 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
(true climbers refer to this mysterious beast as 'Norrie Muir'). It's interesting to note that few areas of the world are without their legends of mysterious human-like creatures that live in the woods or other uninhabited areas

Exactly. The Norriea Muirous of the Southern Hemisphere has long been known to the Aboriginal population as the 'Yowie'. A creature of disgusting habits which leaves muddy footprints on the doormat.
 Tom Briggs 03 Dec 2007
 Martin Stevens 03 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Apparently Don Whilllans saw one, as reported on Newsround in 1972.
Here's a link to the program: http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7120000/newsid_7124800/7124898.stm?... or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2yk2j9

The report is a minute into the footage - Whillans gives a telephone interview.

Regards,
Martin.
 mountainbagger 03 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Briggs:

I was on that expedition, but due to the altitude, I couldn't be bothered to go and see what he was so excited about! He seemed pretty convinced though.

I think I remember that he discovered those prints near the Mera La camp at around 5300m. They were not far from a discarded porter's basket, so perhaps the porter had been eaten or kidnapped by the yeti. Or another possibility is that the yeti had been disguised as a porter to infiltrate the expedition and, once realising that all we had to eat was garlic soup, did a runner across the snow.

Also, one of the photos clearly shows that the supposed yeti had one human leg
bergalia 03 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Never mind the Himalayas...check out the foreground in ChrisJD's superb photo: 'Reef Atolls in The Peak? Must be Global Warming. Chrome Hill to ParkHouse Hill.' © ChrisJD, Feb 2007

It's in the Landscape section of UKC's photo album.
 JGF 13 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I'm convinced of the existence of the missing link...

However I do live fairly close to Llanelli..!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...