UKC

Base Layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lamb 17 Dec 2007
Who do you reckon make the best base layers? i have a helly hansen which has served me well, but im looking at buying another. What do you reckon is the best?
 DaveR 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb:

I've been recommended merino wool base layers, they're not meant to smell as much as the helly's. Bit more expensive though, but is on my xmas list...
 eirenutter 17 Dec 2007
In reply to DaveR: ice breaker or mountain hardware do a merino base layers
 Bonesaw 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb:

Alpkit make a FANTASTIC merino wool base layer for £20, I can vouch for its warmth, non smellyness after a 3 day hike in the cairngorms sleeping in a bothy and extreme comfort. However it isnt available at the moment, also there is an issue with shrinkage after washing, hopefully the alpkit guys have withdrawn it to sort this issue. Id say its deffinately worth waiting for it to come back though.

http://www.alpkit.com/colab/develop/bleat/
 freelancer_85 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb:

I've got a lovely Merino one, which is great, and a cheapo berghaus x-static one , which is also very good, and I have a paramo reversible one (one side is supposedly cooler than the other), whish is really good too. So Id' recommend the previous three brands, but I'm not a big helly hansen, lowe alpine, or north face fan for base layers.

If you can afford it then get merino.

Josh.
 Glyno 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Bonesaw:

Tha Alpkit 'Merino' baselayer is actually 57% polyester.
 Bonesaw 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Glyno:

You are quite correct Glyno, I should have made that clear in my post, thats how they are able to make a base layer with merino wool in it for £20
Chris Tan Ver. L - Lost in Time 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb:

Check out a local TKMax... base layers for a fraction of the usual retail price.

GarethSL 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb: tkmaxx have patagucci baselayers and midlayers going at a steal, Embers merino do some really good ones tad on the expensive side but worth a look. Synthetic baselayers you can get anywhere, i have a £2 job from TJ Hughes works a treat, used millet carline tops and arc'teryx rho's and reconmend them both. I suggest you have a good shop around see what fits you most comfortably and what best suits your wallet.
 smithy 17 Dec 2007
In reply to lamb:

Falke for anything in the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...