UKC

manchester climbing center

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
Does anybody know if mcc is open today!!!!!

cheers dan
 vagabond 24 Dec 2007
yep till 4 come say hello
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to vagabond: from ten???? so ten till 4???
 vagabond 24 Dec 2007
yeah mcc is open 10-4 today
closed christmas day and boxing day
back to normal
then 10-4 new years eve and closed new years day
 chris fox 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Wanna climb boxing day if it's open dan?

Otherwise i may just boulder

Chris
 UKC Forums 24 Dec 2007
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Walls & Training - Find out where the best climbing wall is in your area. Who goes there? What are the facilities like? Build your own cellar. Training tips and injuries info. It's all here. (And don't forget to check the Walls database either.)

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 vagabond 24 Dec 2007
> yeah mcc is open 10-4 today
> closed christmas day and boxing day
> back to normal
> then 10-4 new years eve and closed new years day

just re read this and see how could be read wrong... mcc is closed on boxing day.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to chris fox:a climb is out the question on boxing day then!!!!
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

It's only out of the question at MCC - I've just checked the weather forecast and it looks like it should be dry on Boxing day so why not try to get outside? I'll hopefully be doing so myself and might be stuck for partners so could maybe hook up if you fancy some bouldering or perhaps some sports routes?
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: will be definatly up for some sport routes somewhere if you fancy it will only be able to apare a few hours. where you thinkin of going??
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Dunno really, was planning on bouldering but checked out your profile and saw that you're into sports climbing so thought that would be good for a change as none of my usual climbing partners are into sports climbing.

I haven't climbed routes much recently and only really climb in the 6's anyway so somewhere with easier stuff I guess - where to you reckon? I've been to Horseshoe before and that was pretty good but am up for anywhere really. I've got the northern limestone guide lurking at home somewhere so could have a look when I at home later ....
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: what about trevor quarry thats ok good range of grades an a fun day out!!!! i have been lookin at black rocks near matlock recently its all trad grades from s3-E9 looks good
where in manc you from
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

I live in the Northern Quarter but can drive and meet up wherever although might as well share lift to the crag. Will have a look at the guide later and we can decide come boxing day where to go, although I'm not really up for trad as I reckon it's gonna be a bit cold for faffing about with gear. I've got a sixty metre rope and a good few quick draws (although probably not enough short ones for sport) if that helps.

Work is laying on free mince pies and mulled wine so am gonna go take advantage of those but will pop back and check my emails in a bit.

Oh, and my proper name is Luke. You can always gime a call on 07799083933 if I don't spot your message on here.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: have a peek what you think off trevor quarry an let me know what you think??
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

It's not covered in any of the guide books that I've got but from what I've found on the interweb it looks good. How long does it take to drive there from Manc?
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: ime bases in altrincham it takes about 45mins i have the guide book on it, its all lime stone thugo a little polished in places!!!!
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:
its all lime stone thugo a little polished in places!!!!

Yeah I've nearly come a cropper before when leading trad limestone due to extreme polish!

Am up for it though - I guess the easiest thing would be if I drive to Altrincham and then go from there. What sort of time would you be up for heading out there? I can do anytime really, including starting early - within reason . I know you said you could probably only do a couple of hours though so it's up to you.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: its all sport so nice an safe!!!! lol
 climbingpixie 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

> its all lime stone thugo a little polished in places!!!!

Trevor is polished but it's not thuggish limestone. A lot of it is compact, slabby and very technical, and the polish just makes you concentrate on your footwork more. Some of the routes have overhangs on them but by and large it's not a steep crag. I'd have though it would be very cold and exposed up on the Egleswig (sp?) escarpment at this time of year but it dries quickly and is south-facing (I think).
 climbingpixie 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

And there's trad there as well, if that tickles your fancy.
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to climbingpixie:

Seeing as I reckon it might rain tomorrow quick drying sounds good for heading up there Boxing Day, although given that it's gonna be cold exposed sounds less promising but I'm always up for having a look at a crag I've not visited before.

As I said to Danny, I don't think I can be arsed to ponce about with a trad rack if it's gonna be cold - plus I've not led any for a couple of months so I wanna ease back into getting my lead head on!

By the way, that's a nice picture of you cruizing whatever that route is that goes up diagonally from left to right at Trevor's Quarry.
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy:
> (In reply to climbingpixie)
>
> plus I've not led any for a couple of months so I wanna ease back into getting my lead head on!
>
Not that I'm soft or owt Anyway, I don't often get the chance to do any sport stuff.

> By the way, that's a nice picture of you cruizing whatever that route is that goes up diagonally from left to right at Trevor's Quarry.

Er, that should read "right to left".

OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: thats fine sport is ok with me i have plenty of quickdraws an a nice skinny 9.1mm rope to test out
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Was just thinking, seeing as you're in Altrincham we could go somewhere like Frodsham or Pex Hill. Pex would certainly be sheltered and although I've not been to Frodsham before it's supposed to be too.

The bouldering as Frodsham looks good in the guide and I always like bouldering at Pex, plus despite having just said I can't be arsed with trad I've been toying with the idea of leading Date Line the last couple of times I've been at Pex but have been unable to so far cos I've not had a rack with me ...
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy:

Sorry, didn't see your last post until after I sent my post about Pex etc.

Anyway, I'm just up for getting out and getting something done really. Gimme a call to arrange details such as time, where to hook up etc.
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy:

Hi Danny, I'm currently working on filling myself with "Christmas spirit" - any chance you could gimme a call before I get too trashed so as to get some sort of a plan together?

Obviously any plan doesn't need to be too detailed and will be subject to the weather in any event, but I wouldn't mind getting an idea of what sort of time you wanna head out, etc.

Cheers, Luke.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: what time you thinkin off heading out what is early morning to you!!!!!
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Wouldn't wanna have to be in Altrincham for any earlier than 9; wouldn't really wanna be setting off from there any later than 11/12. What do you reckon?
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: sounds good to me leave alty at 9 couple hours of climbin an head back at about 12????????
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Yeah, sounds good, I'm happy to stay out longer but if you need to get back that's cool. Have you got a number I can call you on to get directions to yours? If you don't wanna post it on here then just gimme a text.

Is it better to call you tonight or wait til tomorrow? I've not got family stuff on tomorrow but don't want to disturb you if you have.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: my number is 07748113201 but my battery is dead at the min ring any time tommorrow. my address is beech ave timperley manchester just so you can google it!!!!!!!

you can leave your car at mine if you fancy an go up in mine????
 kingholmesy 24 Dec 2007
In reply to danny 7a+:

Nice one. Will call you tomorrow afternoon or early evening just to check that you're still up for it but otherwise will get on google maps and dig out my road atlas - should be able to find my way to yours no probs. I guess it'll take about half an hour to get to yours but will check this with you tomorrow.

Will prob be up for going in your car, unless I'm feeling super keen in which case I might follow you in mine so that I can pop in at Pex on the way home. Anyway, am gonna log off and go and chill with the missus so have a good Christmas til I speak to you. Cheers, Luke.
OP danny 7a+ 24 Dec 2007
In reply to kingholmesy: ok have a good christmas too speak tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...