UKC

who uses army gore tex bivvi bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SBMikeD 28 Dec 2007
who uses army gore tex bivvi bag?
are they better than the over priced ones in the shop?
tried and tested by soldiers like me and plenty of others why would youbuy anything else?
Muhammad-the-randy-teddy 28 Dec 2007
In reply to mikedixon2004:
>
> tried and tested by soldiers like me and plenty of others why would youbuy anything else?

Our guys have always complained about the rubbish gear they have to put up with, why would I want to use the same?
> who uses army gore tex bivvi bag?
> are they better than the over priced ones in the shop?
> tried and tested by soldiers like me and plenty of others why would youbuy anything else?

Uesd one for a few years now, its a good thick bag, needs reproofing from time to time, but no complaints here...

Ridge 28 Dec 2007
> who uses army gore tex bivvi bag?
Me.
> are they better than the over priced ones in the shop?
No.
Because they're lighter, pack up smaller and don't hum of hexy? Also if you haven't 'liberated' an issue cover, something like the alpkit bags are cheaper than a knackered second hand bag from a surplus store, plus they're lighter.

In reply to Muhammad-the-randy-teddy:
> (In reply to mikedixon2004)
> [...]
>
> Our guys have always complained about the rubbish gear they have to put up with, why would I want to use the same?

A bivy bag is a bivy bag, aint much in it matey...
In reply to Ridge:
> [...]
> Me.
> [...]
> No.
> [...]
> Because they're lighter, pack up smaller and don't hum of hexy? Also if you haven't 'liberated' an issue cover, something like the alpkit bags are cheaper than a knackered second hand bag from a surplus store, plus they're lighter.

You can get spanking new ones for about £30-40
 Ridge 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Speedy_Gonzales:
> (In reply to Ridge)
> [...]
>
> You can get spanking new ones for about £30-40

You can get a new Alpkit one for £25
Muhammad-the-randy-teddy 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Speedy_Gonzales:
> (In reply to Muhammad-the-randy-teddy)
> [...]
>
> A bivy bag is a bivy bag, aint much in it matey...

I disagree, sorry!
 philipivan 28 Dec 2007

I like them. They are cheap. I often carry one in the car just in case (but now my car is big enough to sleep in so not so much of a problem).

I have used them in light rain and below 0 degrees and they were ok. If it was heavy rain it would be better to have a hoop or at least a decent closure.

Phil
iselliott 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Ridge: yeah but they dont seal up as well as an ex army one I imagine they wont take too much pounding and would probably get holed if you tried sleeping in a tree run on old pine needles and branches - ps we use them for our local scout group along with bashers to keep weight down when on expo in the hills. I would recommend the new ex army as opposed to used but thats only because the new will last years if looked after well and the used may only give a couple of years use and the difference in cost in minimal
Dr.Strangeglove 28 Dec 2007
bought a surplus (used) one when a student. has done very nicely with intermittant use in fairly minging weather. good for 30 quid. weighs about twice what an alpkit/rab one does, but then, more robust as well. plus long enought to get sac in too.
i hope sw hopkins was a clean living lad though.
 Ridge 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove:
> i hope sw hopkins was a clean living lad though.

"Scabies" Hopkins? Not heard of him in a while.
 Merlin 28 Dec 2007
In reply to mikedixon2004: I've used them and think the hood really lets them down.
Dr.Strangeglove 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Ridge:
scratched himself to death?
its a common enough tail
 Merlin 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Speedy_Gonzales: you must be joking?
 Alex Roddie 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Merlin:
> (In reply to mikedixon2004) I've used them and think the hood really lets them down.

True, it isn't much use! I have both an Alpkit bag and an army surplus one, and I believe they both have their place. The army surplus bag is really roomy and very waterproof, so tends to be very comfortable--I use it for lowland bivvies in the forest when backpacking.

However, it is big, bulky and heavy, so for mountaineering the Alpkit bag wins every time.
 bouldery bits 30 Dec 2007

I love my Ex-Army Bivvy Bag.

Smell of old squaddy aside it does the job and will not die or leak, ever. Just reproof it nce a year. sorted.

Use it on Dartmoor lots for taining Ten Tors teams.
 Murderous_Crow 04 Jan 2008

Depends whether you'll ever be using it as your emergency bivi in the event of injury/benightment. You'll look like a rock, and like nearly all issue textiles, they're Infra-Red Reflective (by this I take it they mean IR absorbent, could be wrong). This means they're not easily seen either with the naked eye or with IR viewing gear. Great if you want to avoid the attention of passing helicopters.

Not great if you want to attract the attention of passing helicopters.
dave jackson 04 Jan 2008
In reply to mikedixon2004: got a x dutch issue cant fault it
 FrankBooth 04 Jan 2008

I like the extra space for storing boots/sack.

i agree they're resonably heavy, but if you're using one with the intention of bivvying (as opposed to an emergency 'just in case') you just pack accordingly - combinded with a light sack, stove, etc you can easily get an overnight pack down to just a few kilos.
 The Lemming 04 Jan 2008

I've got one. Basic no frills but does the job.
OP SBMikeD 04 Jan 2008
In reply to The Lemming: theres no frills intended its just pure gore-tex that can be bashed about and still work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...