UKC

Rucksack choice 50ltr ish for Scottish Winter and Summer Alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 biscuit 29 Dec 2007

OK i need some help deciding. Never had a Grivel pack before though i know many people who have and they always get a good report. Not really come across Osprey before but looking on the web they seem to be good.

My choices are below:

http://www.rockrun.com/products-Exposure-50_RK-CP-EXPO.htm

http://www.rockrun.com/products-Alpine-52_RK-CP-ALPS.htm

Only got a small budget and cost has been the major influence which is why they're both R+R bargains.
OP biscuit 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit:

Come on people are looking but no-one's giving any advice !
 DaveWarb 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit: Flip a Coin.....
Personally i would go for the Grivel, however, i haven't any experience of either, but it just looks, cleaner and more simplistic.
 billy.grant 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit: you don't need a 50l sack. i'd go for a "small" 40l if that makes sense?

for summer alpine you'll be carrying (or should be) so little that if youre doing hut to hut you could get away easily with a 30l.
In reply to biscuit: I was going to say POD Blackice but Id have had to sub you some then I saw Billy's response and hes right smaller would be better, youd stuff to much in a POD - I got 55 Kilos in mine when they weighed it at the airport!

Crux make a simple roll down thirty with ice axe loops and I have it, used it on the Ben etc cant remember cost though
OP biscuit 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit:

Cheers guys. I used a 30ltr pack in the alps this year but i need a bigger sack for general use. I am normally of the travel light travel fast brigade. I need this sack to do for a few uses from Scottish Winter to leading days out in the hills and a general day crag sack where i can just pile stuff in.

If it was just for day use i'd use the 30 ltr BD i've got.

Basically i was after peoples' opinions on Ospreys and Grivels.
OP biscuit 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit:

Meant to say i posted the Scottish/Alpine info as i wanted people to know it is going to get a battering - which it will :0)
 freelancer_85 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit:

I've got the osprey, used it for a two day wild camping trip and general cragging, and it's good for both. Comfy, not too heavy, fairly simple, packs down small, tough, carrys a load well. Not used any grivel packs, but always think they look a bit, well, flimsy... (n.b. it's a "big" 50l, seems bigger than my 55-65l sack).

Josh.
OP biscuit 29 Dec 2007
In reply to freelancer_85:

Thanks for that. It took a while but at last i've got some info about the osprey.

I know what you mean about the Grivels. I got a BD sack at the start of this year and after a years cragging and a couple of Alpine days it it's got holes in it all over the place.
 mr_sceptical 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit: I have the Grivel, and it's fine for general cragging use, haven't really used it for much else though. The back system is really comfy even when it's pretty heavy (2 ropes, 2l water. HUGE rack etc.).

It replaced a Marmot pack which was horrible to wear and I'm really happy with it. I would happily use it for multi day camping trips etc. if I hd the need.

If the weight is an issue you could probably cut off a lot of the extra features and remove the liner.

The Osprey looks cooler though...
OP biscuit 29 Dec 2007
In reply to mr_sceptical:
> The Osprey looks cooler though...

SOLD !

thanks for the info.
Ian Black 29 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit: Aye, pod black ice as already mentioned. I use mine for everything other than expeditions. It is absolutely bomber and comfy. I've had it 8yrs and its good for another 20.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...