UKC

Early edition of Mountain Mag on Greenland!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 02 Jan 2008
Hi, I'm after a copy of an early edition of Mountain Magazine (maybe 6 or 7?) that had a special on Greenland. Hopefully it will contain some photo's of some peaks we're off to this summer. Does anyone have any back issues that they might be able to sell, copy or otherwise? Or does anyone know where i might be able to get hold of such a thing?

Cheers

Ged
 Doug 02 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes: If no one here can help, you should be able to get it via interlibrary loan - there will be a copy in the British Library and quite likely in the National Library, Edinburgh. I'd imagine the Alpine Club library also has a copy.

(Assuming interlibrary loan is still available to the public, long time since I've needed to use it except in a university library)

streapadair 02 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes:

Jarvis http://www.mountainbooks.co.uk/ carries a lot of old Mountain mags and is a generally helpful chap, so might be worth contacting.
In reply to GDes: Do you know which issue it is in? Or who wrote it? A friend has virtually the entire back catolouge, if you can get me the exact issue or author I'll ask him to photocopy it for you.

HTH
OP GDes 02 Jan 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I'm afraid I don't know. Just had a tip off that one of the very early ones contains this greenland special. If you happen to be looking though his collection and come across it please let me know, much appreciated.

I'll try these other routes too, cheers. Photo's of the place are proving hard to come by!
 Davy Gunn 02 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes:

I have an almost complete set of Mountain mags and will look when back mid Jan if that's not too late for you
 Al Evans 02 Jan 2008
In reply to Young Fox:
There was a big news item in the March 1972 issue, covered Angmagssalik, King Christian IX Land, Watkins, Staunings Cape Farewell Region and Evighedsfjord. I would have thought all this activity might have kicked off a major article but it would be a lot later than issue 6 or 7.
The correspondent was Derek Fordham.
 sutty 02 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes:

Just had a look at an alpine journal from 1969 and that has some details of some Greenland stuff in it. Depends on your area, let me know and if it is of use you may borrow it and copy it.

Also see here;

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/library/index.html
 Tony & Sarah 02 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes try mountain info. what area are you going to
steve craddock 03 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes: Mountain 6 is the one you are after, with several pages of writing and photos about Greenland climbing. Check out www.stevecraddock.id.au to get a photocopy if you haven't already got one, Steve
OP GDes 03 Jan 2008
In reply to Tony & Sarah: The head of the Tasermiut fjord. We've got the info from Moountain Info and the alipne club, but cant find photos of some of our objectives as yet. Heard that an early mountain mag might have one

cheers for your replys
OP GDes 03 Jan 2008
In reply to steve craddock: Hi Steve, I mailed you through this site. Cheers
 sutty 03 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes:

Right, this AC article has something on that area written by Joss Lynam. There are references to other articles in The climber, Dec1958 and in ACJ 68.

Googled this, not sure if contact details are still current;

http://www.mountaineering.ie/membersandservices/tier1viewdetials.asp?ID=5&a...
OP GDes 03 Jan 2008
In reply to sutty: cheers we've got those articles, they just dont contain the pictures we're after
 Tony & Sarah 03 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes:Have climbed in several areas in Tasermuit Fjord, 2006 we where in the Tinnertuup group. Have also climbed/travelled in Ketil valley and Nalum. & Uli. E-mail us if you want to have a chat.
Colin H 03 Jan 2008
In reply to GDes: So, do you still need a copy of Mountain 6?
Email me if you do.
Cheers
Colin H

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...