UKC

motorcycle / climbing trip to lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
priesty 04 Jan 2008
I'm thinking of a motorcycle trip up to Tromso with a detour to the lofoten islands for a very short climbing trip. Anyone ever done it? Was wondering how long it would take so I know whether the climbing detour is possible.

Joez 04 Jan 2008
In reply to priesty:

Hi there! when are you thinking of going? I'm looking to head out to Norway around the beginning of June also on my bike and it'd be good to have someone to travel with as it makes the ferry much cheaper!

you can PM me from here

Ta, Joe
 Joez 04 Jan 2008
In reply to priesty:

Might also interest you to know that theres also a ferry from Bode to Moskennes thats just under £40 one way for a motorbike
 johnhowell 04 Jan 2008
In reply to priesty:
Depends on where you go from. Norway is big, the southern tip is closer to Rome than Nord Kapp. Also the roads are pretty poor. If you catch the ferry to Stavanger or Bergen it will probably take you about about 3 or 4 days of pretty solid riding (say 8 hours a day) to get to Tromsø.
You could do a detour to Lofoten which would add at least another day plus climbing time.

I would probably not go to climb in Lofoten for just 1 or 2 days, the weather is highly variable and you can lose several days easily. Also it takes a bit of time to get your head around the place.

Don't want to be negative, the bike trip will be awesome, the scenary is stunning, the roads are fun, camping is free the only bummer might be the weather.

I have done a couple of climbing/biking trips and it can be a pain to carry lots of trad gear, ropes etc on a bike. If you were meeting up with someone who could take the gear that would be cool and even if the weather is poor Lofoten is worth seeing

Have a good trip
priesty 05 Jan 2008
In reply to LittleJoe: No date set yet. I'm just trying to work out how much time i need to do it to see when I can best fit it in. I was thinking June/July though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jan 2008
In reply to priesty:

Could be great but:

a) long distances (1000 miles from Bergen to Lofoten0
b) low speed limits and zealous speed cops - who are very good at hiding!
c) the weather

Also, the section through Fjordland is superb (slow though), whereas the section north of Trondheim is tedious - 500 miles through the pine forests.

Chris
 Joez 06 Jan 2008
In reply to priesty:

emailed you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...