UKC

NEWS: James Pearson onsight Deathwatch (E7 6b)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davepwsmith 07 Jan 2008
I was at Ilkley Quarry on sunday and was lucky enough to see James Pearson onsight Deathwatch (E7 6b) in the dark - luckily I was on hand to lend a head torch! What a mentalist, but also an inspirational climber. He pretty much walked all over it, and made it look too easy! I was there belaying Sean Jacobs, who has put up an new route Turbo Prop (E5 6b?) on the arete between Propeller Wall and Old Crack.
 GrahamD 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith:

What's with all these ascents by headtorch these days ? That always used to be the preserve of the incompetent !
OP davepwsmith 07 Jan 2008
In reply to GrahamD: No idea. I offered it as a joke about half an hour before when he was still thinking about it. Then just before the ascent his girlfriend said "d'you want a head-torch" and he looked enthusiastic/surprised so I dug it out!
 jkarran 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith:

Was it chalked? Impressive stuff either way.
jk
In reply to jkarran:

His girlfriend abseiled down and brushed it, but didn't chalk anything I don't think, she just said "it's a different colour, you'll see it when you're up here!". His 'ethics' (I hate that word) were pretty strict. He had a mat on the bottom, but insisted it was removed the minute he was on the rock, because it was 'just to keep his feet clean'. He wouldn't even ab down himself to brush it, and then his girlfriend told us that he'd closed his eyes and covered his ears when it was on some video or other!
 UKB Shark 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith: His girlfriend abseiled down and brushed it

The ultimate climbing girlfriend ? I hope he brushes their house in return
 Glyn Jones 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Simon Lee: His mum does that.
 MNA123 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Simon Lee) His mum does that.

Ha, bit off topic but i watched the short film 'Keen Youth' last night and had to laugh at the bit where James (aged about 8) scaled up the scaffolding on the side of his house while his mum (instead of scraming at him to get down etc.) filmed him doing it.

Does she drink?
 Glyn Jones 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam Moroz: heavily but I hear it's only water.
 MNA123 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Adam Moroz) heavily but I hear it's only water.

Ha ha!

Disclaimer

By the way to all the anal posters on here that was a joke and was in no way meant as a personal insult to Mrs Pearson who seems like a lovely lady.
 Glyn Jones 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam Moroz:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones)
> [...]
>
> Ha ha!
>
> Disclaimer
>
> By the way to all the anal posters on here that was a joke and was in no way meant as a personal insult to Mrs Pearson who seems like a lovely lady.

I bet she is a lovely lady putting up with all the chalk marks around the outside of the house.

Nice one keen yoof.
 jkarran 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith:

I was just wondering how he planned to find the holds in the dark really.

jk
 JDal 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith: Can you have an onsight in the dark? We need another category.
 Will Hunt 07 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith:
Beast! Wish Id been there. Would loved to have attempted to second it.
 AdCo82 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam Moroz:

Haha I watched that too myself last night. James's bits of commentary are funny to him climbing the scaffolding.

He has some awesome strength that lad.

How old is he now???? 21???

In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to davepwsmith)
>
> What's with all these ascents by headtorch these days ? That always used to be the preserve of the incompetent !

if you can't see it it can't scare you!
 AdCo82 07 Jan 2008
In reply to JDal:

Didn't Dave McCleod do a climb in almost dark conditions also in the Peak?
Can't remember the name of it but it is on the Committed DVD.

BM
 MNA123 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Bananaman:
> (In reply to JDal)
>
> Didn't Dave McCleod do a climb in almost dark conditions also in the Peak?
> Can't remember the name of it but it is on the Committed DVD.
>
> BM

Yep Blind Vision E9/10 at Froggatt
 AdCo82 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam Moroz:

That's the one. cheers mate, didn't have my Committed dvd to hand.
It was great watching him climb that.

BM
In reply to Will Hunt: The second would basically have been a top rope, the only gear's at ground level, to stop you rolling off down the hill.
 jkarran 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:

> ...Would loved to have attempted to second it.

Shirly you mean toprope, the only runner's on the floor in the gully isn't it? :-P

jk
 Will Hunt 07 Jan 2008
In reply to jkarran:
Hmmm a very fine line between the two things I suppose. I reckon its more ethical if someones actually lead it though.
OP davepwsmith 08 Jan 2008
In reply to Will Hunt: Ethical my arse, that's a toprope Will! To be fair, I can't see the huge distinction between seconding and toproping - technically it obviously IS toproping - you're climbing a rope which is belayed from the top. In fact, climbing a route with a big swing would be positively easier on a second than a toprope. You can all gun me down now.
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jan 2008
In reply to davepwsmith:

An absolute cake walk for James.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...