UKC

Ratho Price Increase

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alec 09 Jan 2008
Hi,

I was at Ratho last night and they have put their prices up. Before Christmas it cost me £7 to get in (with a leisure card that cost about £10). Last night they charged me £8.25 - (my card had expired, but it was going to cost over £40 to get a new one). The new price with a new card was going to be £7.25.

IMO this is a total rip off. Sure it's a good wall but how can they justify charging so much. You get a much better deal at Alien, Aberdeen etc.

The wall seemed quieter than usual and it was still as cold as ever.

Rant over for now...
 Andy S 09 Jan 2008
In reply to Alec: It's probably what they need to charge to keep the place afloat. I don't know if you're aware of its turbulent history and enormous debts.
OP Alec 10 Jan 2008
In reply to Andy S:

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the history of Ratho. From a financial point of view I can see them wanting/needing to generate as much money as possible. If however people are priced out of going then there's a chance they could actually take less money.
It was markedly quieter on Tuesday, but it's possible that this was down to other factors - i.e the temperatures. I think I be heading to Alien more regularly now.

Cheers.
gaffer 10 Jan 2008
In reply to Alec: Edinburgh Leisure (who now operate Ratho) usually put their prices up every January so Ratho is presumably no exception. To go to the gym at my local leisure centre (with an old codger's card) now costs me £2.70 (3.8% increase) so you are getting off lightly at Ratho with only a 3.5% increase!
 Bill Davidson 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Alec:

I think you'll find that it's only 75p more expensive than Alien now!
 blueshound 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Alec:

Am I the only one who thought ratho closed down ages ago?
In reply to blueshound:

Even with the weather I've never seen Ratho busier. And that's before the new Comp wall gets built!
Iain Forrest 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Alec:
I've criticised Ratho's prices before for similar reasons, but I actually don't think £8.25 is unreasonable for someone who makes a few visits a year.
I've been the last couple of Wednesdays, and it seemed quite quiet until about 18:00, then fairly busy after that. People were queueing for the toprope routes, but not really for the lead ones.
Iain Forrest 06 Feb 2008
In reply to blueshound:
It did, but it's open again with a very much improved car park, and a roof that leaks in quite different places from those it used to.
 niggle 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

I agree - Ratho clearly have no need to reduce their prices to attract customers. In fact it would probably improve things if they price out a few skinflints who won't pay 25p extra for the biggest indoor climbing arena in the world!

If it's too pricy for you, get a monthly membership. I only pay £45 a month and I go at least 3 times a week - AND I get to use the gym and other facilities as much as I like!

Ratho is superb. The staff are excellent, the routes are varied and challenging and the regulars are a really nice bunch. I just couldn't bring myself to whine about the price of such a great place going up with inflation just like every single other thing in life.
Barber Baz 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: one thing i cant get with Ratho is they spend all that money on the place and they forgot to put a light at the end of the road where you turn in- number of times ive driven past the turnoff in the dark....

Its a great place to climb though, worth the price, even just for bouldering.
 220bpm 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Alec: Its good value for money, and alien is just too busy nowadays to be enjoyable.

What you need to watch out for is the ridiculous pot holes on the main road outside. Last night it destroyed two tyres and two alloys on my nice shiney new car. Am I in a bad mood this morning or what
Iain Forrest 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Barber Baz:
> number of times ive driven past the turnoff in the dark....
Aye, me too!

> Its a great place to climb though, worth the price, even just for bouldering.
I don't think I'd pay just for the bouldering (Dunfermline is better IMO, and much cheaper), but I do think it's a very good wall.
 niggle 06 Feb 2008
In reply to 220bpm:

That's bad luck mate.

You might like to drop the roads people an email about that, I know from an engineer friend that they've had a lot of complaints about the bad job the company who dug that road up did of filling it in, so I guess another voice in the chorus could help.
 ng1273 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Barber Baz:

I do that every time I go - thing I've got it sussed though, once you see the sign, start braking when you reach the first single tree on the left (my car has not got good brakes :>)

graeme jackson 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Alec: Prices at Alien have just gone up aswell. From next monday an adult will pay £7.50 after 5pm..
http://www.alienrock.co.uk/prices/alien_one_prices.html
 ng1273 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest:

popping into carnegie this friday - what's it like these days? not been for over a decade but heard good reports, although folk seem to say there's not much in the crashmat department?
 ng1273 06 Feb 2008
In reply to ng1273:

> I do that every time I go - thing I've got it sussed though, once you see the sign, start braking when you reach the first single tree on the left (my car has not got good brakes :>)

I mean right, not left. I accept no responsibility for any accidents or overshooting that may arise from the use of my method.

Iain Forrest 06 Feb 2008
In reply to ng1273:
> (In reply to Iain Forrest)
>
> popping into carnegie this friday - what's it like these days?
Basic, a bit worn out, and excellent for a workout. It's better than any other wall I've been to for bouldering on features, rather than bolt-ons, which I find much more useful.
> although folk seem to say there's not much in the crashmat department?
This, unfortunately, is true. I think good mats are just too expensive for them to get just now.
Barber Baz 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: for the cost of a lightbulb they could make it more obvious...not the slowest road in town to be fannying around on in the dark.

agreed on bouldering, i usually go to A2 - but larn to Ratho for a change-in winter the boulders are brilliant, almost like rock... plus theres all the problems i couldnt do at the bouldering comp.
 Andy S 06 Feb 2008
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Bill Davidson)
>
>
> If it's too pricy for you, get a monthly membership. I only pay £45 a month and I go at least 3 times a week - AND I get to use the gym and other facilities as much as I like!
>

Wow! That is SUPERB!

Forty-five quid for use of the climbing wall AND gym!? That's awesome. Like any other gym I'm aware of, I pay about £35 a month just for gym and swimming pool.

To pay £45 for gym and Ratho climbing wall is a rockbottom price. Now I've heard that, I wish I lived near Ratho!!
In reply to Barber Baz:

The route setting in general there is really good, keeps me busy
In reply to Alec:

Considering that gets you the longest indoor routes in the country I think that's ok value.

Leeds is £6 and is only 14m high, Ratho is double that height.

AND at least you have the option of Ratho or Alien or Alien2...

AND I bet the routes above 7a have been changed since September.

Rant over for now.
 220bpm 06 Feb 2008
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to 220bpm)
>
> That's bad luck mate.
>
> You might like to drop the roads people an email about that, I know from an engineer friend that they've had a lot of complaints about the bad job the company who dug that road up did of filling it in, so I guess another voice in the chorus could help.

Clarence have just sent me out a claims form, seems this has been reported a number of times already. Might actually have a chance of getting some money back this time.......

Its located just south of the entrance, on the north bound carriageway. Take care all, it's not so much a pot hole as a bomb crater......
In reply to 220bpm:

I just missed it last night You're right tho it's a beauty!
rrfsteve 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

you will find they have also introduced off peak prices too. which means it is actualy 75p cheaper if you go before 4pm

Hats off to the ratho folks with the wall - its awesome! Plus, how many wals are investing in new surfaces??? Im muchos excited!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...