UKC

Climbing in Germany (Hohne area)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris warner 16 Jan 2008
Anyone know of any climbing, indoor or out around the Hohne/ Celle/ Fallingbostel area?

I'm guessing there's a wall in Hannover but have no details about it, and if someone can advise then it saves me legwork!

Cheers
md@r 16 Jan 2008
In reply to chris warner:
Try this URL for finding indoor climbing
http://www.dav-kletteranlagensuche.de/
OP chris warner 16 Jan 2008
In reply to md@r:

excellent! cheers
 John Ww 16 Jan 2008
In reply to chris warner: My gf lives in Celle, so I know the area pretty well. You'll need to travel south for about 90mins from Celle to get to either the Ith or Okertal areas, but they are both bloody good (especially the Okertal, which is right next to the road by the river in a lovely valley with a pub at the end of it). Don't expect to find French-style bolt ladders though - you'll need a full rack (and a clipstick comes in pretty hand too, especially for anything less than grade 6/7 at the Ith). Haven't much idea about indoor stuff - there are a couple of walls in Hannover, but one is in a big, busy, noisy sports hall full of kids, and the other one we never found, despite having the address. There's also one at the CD Kaserne in Celle, but we've never been able to get in touch with the bloke who we think is in charge. Hope this helps.
 Denni 16 Jan 2008

Hi Mate,
when I was in Fally I used to go to the Harz at the weekends, gets busy at the weekends in summer but heaps of routes.

Failing that the wall in Hanover.

Also, (I'm presuming you're squaddie?) there is, or was when I was there, a BFG club that I think was ran from 35 Engineers in Paderborn. Should be some links on the AMA site.

Hope that helps
Den
 Denni 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix:

Forgot to say,
have the topo of the Harz mountains if you want a copy.
Den
Removed User 18 Jan 2008
Try the page www.kletternimnorden.de. You can find quite good topos and pictures of the Ith (Lüerdissen and Holzen) there. www.westharz.info is about the granite climbs in the Okertal.
LÜERDISSEN has some very good routes from French 4 up to 7a+; HOLZEN is the best from French 5 up to 8b and the SELTER from 6b+ up to 8c.
One DAV wall in Celle itself, three walls in Hannover and one wall in Hildesheim (interesting 10m roof). O.
 jonnie3430 18 Jan 2008

Ha ha!! I had a big drama when I arrived there, but its actually quite good...

There are two walls I know of in Hannover, one is a small thing in a gym but they did have the guidebook for the area "Klettern in Nord Deutchland," is its typically imaginative title. The routes here are quite good, but short and there is only a few of them. THe gym is good though and there is always something interesting wandering around...

The other wall is in the Campo arena http://www.campo-arena.de/index_en.html They have all the kit you can want to hire, along with auto belays, that take a bit of getting used to. The ticket is for the whole place, so make sure you have a go on the BMX bikes, go carts and the High ropes course outside. On a climbing side the routes are really good, after five visits you will have done them all, but they also have a big overhangy roofy that is very hard and a bouldering area.

As for rock climbing, the Harz are OK, a big polished and can be crowded in summer, never tried any winter stuff there. My favourite area was called Hohenstein, its off the Osnabruck- Hannover motorway. South of the road before Hannover, there is a flattish ridge that spreads from NW to SE and there are quite a few crags along there, all in the guide book mentioned. The climbing can be a bit loose, Germans don't warn you if they knock anything off, so take a good helmet. Most routes have a smattering of bolts, but a trad rack (1 set of wires and 3 cams,) is also useful. If I could get google maps to work on this computer I could give you directions to one of the crags. I can do it on Sunday/Monday if you want. Send me an e-mail if you do and any other questions.

Jonnie

(Retired now, in Glasgow)
Tjelrik 18 Jan 2008
if you need exact informations about Celle and its region just visit: www.climbing.de and go to the forums and ask (they understand english them. You'll get real "insider-infos".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...