UKC

enlarged tendon advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kmackenzie 22 Jan 2008
Hey guys im hoping someone out there may be able to give me some advice on this from a climbers perspective...

So i have a small lump between my middle and ring finger tendons on the palm of my hand, only hurts if i press on it but thought id get it checked out.
Doctor says its grissle on the tendon caused by an enlarged tendon (perhaps from a previous injury).

Heres the problem: It wont go away on its own and in a normal person wouldnt get any worse. However being a climber i am regularly using these tendons and this could cause it to increase in size and result in trigger finger / problems gripping with the affected fingers.

They will only treat it if it gets to this stage with a steroid injection but i would rather prevent it getting to this stage. The only suggestion the doctor gave was to try deep heat on the area which has made no difference so far.

Has anyone had experience of this before and if so how did they go about preventing it damaging grip?

Any advice appreciated!
Kat
In reply to kmackenzie: Climbing in yorkshire should cure that.
 Bill Davidson 22 Jan 2008
In reply to kmackenzie:

Hi Kat, I've had a similar lump in the same place on my right hand for about 4 yrs now. So far it hasn't got any worse but I do stretch each finger individually after climbing & really work the lump as well. So far so good & I'm climbing 3 to 4 times a week. Hope this is reassuring if not of some help.

Bill
bobbybin 22 Jan 2008
In reply to kmackenzie: it could be scar tissue, uve given conflicting evidence tho, is it between the tendons or on the tendon? im a sports massuer by the way.

if its scar tissue it could possibly be broken down with massage, would sting a bit though

i'd go to a good local sports therapist, gp's are as much use as tits on a bull.

get it checked asap, u dont want to mess ur season up this early in the year.

Rob
 Ruth 22 Jan 2008
In reply to kmackenzie:

Go and see a good physio privately. GPs often don't know much about this type of injury. Ask for a recommendation (gyms are often good, and you don't have to be a member) or otherwise use google and check out qualifictions.

In Edinburgh the guy I see who's is highly qualified and pretty much at the top of the game charges £45 an hour. But I've only ever needed a single appointment to get anything sorted out - often its showing you the exercies, and strapping etc then sending you off to get on with it.

Good luck

Ruth
OP kmackenzie 22 Jan 2008
In reply to kmackenzie:

cheers for the advice
its not clear to me where it is (tendon or between) but the doctor seemed to think tendon
i came to the conclusion the doctor didnt really know!
i think i will take the advice and see a physio... off to spain in a few weeks and dont want a bad start to the season!
In reply to kmackenzie:
Google "Dupytrens Contracture"
there is some info on wikipedia and search both ukc and ukb on this. It could be this. I have it in one hand. If it is this a surgeon wont even consider operating in this contry unless you are unable to put your hand flat on the table. Other than that it was sore when it first arrived but now its not an issue. Mine isn't any way near prominent enough to cause issues currently.

Cheers
Tim
OP kmackenzie 25 Jan 2008
In reply to kmackenzie:

cheers im hoping its nothing that serious but the lumps developing do sound similar!
good to know youve been ok with it tho
In reply to kmackenzie: Well the good news is it apparently is congential and comes from the vikings. Which means you are now officially allowed to wear a horned hat. I bought mine last year.

Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...