UKC

Ice screw protectors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 23 Jan 2008
Morning all,
does anyone know where i can get hold of protector caps form my ice screws? (Grivel helix and 360). i've tried using homemade ones made from gaffa tape and cardboard but they tend to fall apart quite quickly, especially when wet.
cheers,

Mike
 will9911 23 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR: can u wwrite/email the manufqcturer and see if they have spare, they sometimes send some free, or ask if theres any shops nearby that stock them.
Fauvé 23 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR:

Scroll right down, second past the Deadman, is that what you're looking for?

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Ice_Screws_35.html

Fauvé x
 CurlyStevo 23 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR:
would you not be better buying some ice flutes (like the Charlet Moser ) or an ice screw holder for transportation (like the black diamond)
OP MikeR 23 Jan 2008
In reply to Fauvé:
Yes perfect, thanks! dropped one while climbing on the weekend
OP MikeR 23 Jan 2008
In reply to CurlyStevo: never really used those ice flutes. may give them a try. do you find them better than racking them on your harness?
Cookie 23 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR:
Just as a random 'Try this, it may worl' offer. Give Moss Plastic Parts a go.

http://www.mossplastics.com/mss/mss-wp.nsf/WebEngine?OpenAgent&cmd=page...

Pretend to be a buyer from somewhere that needs to buy plastic protection caps, and ask for a few samples.

Can't hurt can it?

I'll stand back and wait for a slew of ice climbers all phoning Moss PP. :¬)

PS I don't work for them and never have.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR:
yes because you can take any one of them out easily one handed, it also protects the screw whilst you are climbing
ice.solo 31 Jan 2008
In reply to MikeR:
i like the flutes because, as said, they are easy one handed. easier than racking clips.
ive found tho that attaching them so they hang from the bottom of the harness webbing (rather than clipping over the top) makes them easier to get at, particularly when youve got a pack on.
if you still want end caps - get your kids to steal them off school chairs.
 NathanP 01 Feb 2008
In reply to MikeR:

If you, or somebody you know, works in metal-cutting engineering you may have a free source:

Several end-mill manufacturers (SGS for one, I think) ship their product either with the sharp end protected with these or in clear plastic tubes with one on each end. You just need to find somebody who uses tools of the appropriate diameter.
In reply to MikeR: i have a sectret passed down for generations, if you wohs to know i shall tell.
In reply to Franco Cookson: want*
 RocknRoll 01 Feb 2008
In reply to MikeR:

I used to rack my screws all bunched up on two caritools, this was a pain when trying to get them out on steep ice when pumped. I now carry two flutes either side fo my harness and five strapped to a sling round my chest. Much easier to use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...