UKC

Children at SIBL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm going to SIBL with my son (who is six) this weekend. Can anyone tell me how it works? I know how the adult competition works, but I'm wondering about questions like:

How hard are the junior problems? What age groups are they aimed at? Are there some pretty easy ones (or ones which smaller children can at least attempt without being stopped by reaches) Will I be able to look at them and the fun problems first to decide which event to enter my son for?

(Oh, and am I going to run into any stupid rules? Like he-must-wear-a-helmet, for example, which I haven't got)

If the organisers see this, by the way, it would be useful if this sort of information was on the website (or if it is then in a place where stupid people like me can find it).

TIA.

jcm
 Mike Highbury 31 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: First comes the excuse. After being strong over the Summer and in the Autumn, I destroyed my shoulder and it disintegrated into a grinding mess. So, you can win £30 if you want.

I cannot recall if the fun competition has had different problems from the others. As you have seen, juniors are under 16 and as I get older they do begin to look very good. Of course you can see them first. It isn’t that serious.

The junior problems have been the same ones as for the adults, but with different feet. Problems at the venues have varied in difficulty so it is hard to say what Sunday will bring. Save for I will be in foul mood because Hampshire is a long way from Islington.

Twenty problems scoring, 10, 7, 3 and 1 if you eventually climb it. Five further for the bonus.

Helmets are not worn save for the exceptionally litigious.

www.sibl.co.uk/rules.htm
Bob kate bob 31 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Hi, There is the normal SIBL which has the junior, open and vets categories. There is also a fun comp of 10 problems.

The fun comp is set for total novices, youngsters etc. My son who is 4 can usually do a few so I would expect your son to be able to do quite a few.

The junior comp starts of fairly easy but it does get quite difficult at the higher end of the grades.

TBH, you might find it best to speak to Neil (one of the organisers) on the day and let him advise you after you giving him an idea at what level your son is climbing at.

The helmet wearing is dependant on the wall. At mile end helmets had to be offered to all children, they were the climbing wall's helmet and it wasn't obligatory.
 Mike Highbury 31 Jan 2008
In reply to Bob kate bob: That's rather worrying. I don't pay much attention to what is going on around me, do I? See you on Sunday.

Bob kate bob 31 Jan 2008
In reply to Mike Highbury: not worrying at all, hopefully shows you are focussed on doing the problems and having a fun day.
 UKC Forums 31 Jan 2008
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Walls & Training - Find out where the best climbing wall is in your area. Who goes there? What are the facilities like? Build your own cellar. Training tips and injuries info. It's all here. (And don't forget to check the Walls database either.)

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
Removed User 01 Feb 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
Hi,

Just to let you know that your son will not be required to wear a helmet at the Alton round. There are helmets available though should you require one.

Thanks

Ben Read

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...