UKC

Hydration - Camelbak or Platypus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 superturbo 03 Feb 2008
Which hydration packs are most recommended, Camelbak or Platypus?

Thanks for all the advice.
 GarethSL 03 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad: Iv always seen platypus as the lesser/cheaper of the two. Though they both do the same job.
 grumsta 03 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad:

I use a cheap Gelert reservoir/tube thingy I got off ebay for a fiver inside my normal rucksack. Works fine.
 steve456 03 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad: Platypus big zip is, as far as I know, the only hydration pack you can easily fill from a stream or use with isotonic powders.

Never used a camelbak though.
 Alex Roddie 03 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad:
Camelbak. They are made to a far higher quality level and have many design features that make them stand out.

That said, I almost never use mine anymore--it's back to the old Sigg most of the time! I never seem to go climbing in warm climates anymore...
moomin 04 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad:

I have one made by Source. It has the big zippy opening for easy cleaning, and it double walled construction. Not bad price wise either compared to the platies.

http://www.thegorgeoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/The_Gorge_Outdoors_Source_hydrat...
 The Lemming 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to WillBroad)
>.
> That said, I almost never use mine anymore--it's back to the old Sigg most of the time! I never seem to go climbing in warm climates anymore...

Me too, I stopped using mine years ago as I found them a gimmic after a while. Plus stopping to open the sigg bottle gave me an excuse to rest.

ebygomm 04 Feb 2008
In reply to steve456:
> Platypus big zip is, as far as I know, the only hydration pack you can easily fill from a stream or use with isotonic powders.

I've filled a camelbak from a stream and mixed powdered drinks in it.

I've done the same with a 3 quid bladder from Tescos
 SBMikeD 04 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad: i would say camelbak for the one reason that its alot more durable than most, only thing the screw cap gets very tight which makes it hard to open at times
 cathsullivan 04 Feb 2008
In reply to WillBroad:

I've got both and they have different advantages and disadvantages.

Platypus (not a big zip one) - better for backpacking as it stands up and is generally less floppy so better for using as a water bottle in your tent porch than a camelback. Also, can replace the drinking tube with a sports cap for making this even easier. It's rigidity also makes it better for an old rucsac that doesn't have a special sleeve inside for a hydration system. The transparent drinking tube makes it easier to see if there's any furry nasty stuff that needs properly cleaning out.

Camelback - easier to fill due to large opening (can fill from streams, I guess, although I never actually have). The bigger opening also makes it easier to clean out. It's more of a pain to store 'cos it doesn't stand up in a way that will keep it more open and let air circulate around it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...