UKC

winter skills venue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
Does anyone know of a particularly good spot to take a party for winter skills practice (self-arrest, snow belays, etc) around Ben Nevis area, preferably with a short walk in? I don't know the area that well and would like to cut down on the recce time. Any help appreciated.
djviper 05 Feb 2008
In reply to ironbark: point 5 ...
ill get my coat, sorry!
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
In reply to djviper: Don't joke about it you haven't seen how keen this lot are - I'm sure they would happily give it a go!
 Lemony 05 Feb 2008
In reply to ironbark: Coire na Ciste, out of the way of anything coming down the gullies.
 Lemony 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Lemony: though I'm not sure whether that tallies with your walk in requirement
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Lemony: Thanks - spose we might get a lift to the top car park.
 Jim Fraser 05 Feb 2008
In reply to ironbark:

The walk-in requirement is the killer here.

Aonach Mor is still a walk up 500m vertical unless you are allowed on the Quad. Then you get up there and you find that, for beginners, Easy Gully is a formidable obstacle. The run-out is neither welcoming nor easy to access.

The bottom of Coire na Ciste is about 800m vertical, minimum. It is good for the purpose and if it all goes pear-shaped there are loads of folk around, MR kit/radio nearby and its downhill all the way home. Best of all though, it is a spectacularly beautiful place for a person to experience their first proper winter day on the hill.

Coire nan Lochan in Glencoe might be an option. Much the same category as Coire na Ciste: big walk, good, beautiful.
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser: Thanks Jim - maybe there's no avoiding the walk in. Have done winter skills in Coire nan Lochan a few times and was looking for a change, but I think you're right they are both cracking venues for a first trip
 Lemony 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser: What about Stob Ban in the Mamores? Quite a quick walk in to get to the Coire and then a long slope to pitch up for ropework practice (it's where I did winter skills ropework with Abacus).
 Horse 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Lemony:

One could argue that walking is the most basic of winter skills so they should do it!

If there is good covering of snow it is possible to practice not too far from the Gondola on Aonach Mor if you are mindful of the skiers.
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Horse: We don't mind the walking, just gives more time for skills practice
ironbark 05 Feb 2008
In reply to Lemony: Now you mention it someone else recommended Stob Ban. Thanks for the tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...