UKC

Climbing wall holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lyn 31 Oct 2002
Hi

Going to build a climbing wall for our 2 kids . Anybody know where we can buy second hand holds or cheap holds all the sites I have found are very expensive.
Andy 02 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn:
Blocks of wood are vey cheap...

Use hardwood as its strong, hard, fine grain. MDF is good for edges too. But both need a bit of work and thought (and therefore time) to be effective. And may not be as sexy. Plus of course you can't get the range of interesting shapes. But it still beats vegging out in front of the TV.

If its on plywood you can also cut holes in the base board itself and put another piece of ply over the back to give pockets. Obviously need to sand the edges carefully!

I started my "wall" (it doesn't really deserve such a grand name) when F&T were selling off some holds at half price. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I soon realised that even at half price it still cost a fortune, so had to find another way.
Paul Hire 02 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn:

try the climbing sections on Ebay.co.uk OR Ebay.com
 Matt 02 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn:
do a search for tim wager or wagerholds on this site. When you ring him ask if he has any seconds or old stock.
conor 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn: start off with a block of wood about 5inch by 5inch by 2inch and get creative with a power sander. drill a countersunk hole or two into the end result and i'd imagine you could just about re-create anything.
conor 05 Nov 2002
In reply to conor: quite time consuming though ;]
 Wingnut 05 Nov 2002
In reply to conor:
But fun. And you get to be really really noisy with power tools and make lots of dust and mess and no-one can have a go at you for it 'cos you're actually making something. Very nearly as good as tossing pancakes and seeing if you can hit the ceiling.
TobyC 06 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn:

Don't know if this web site helps. But it tells you how to build a wall.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/howto_buildwall.htm

Toby
Lyn 09 Nov 2002
In reply to Lyn:

Thanks for all the advice, going to get started on monday!
As long as hubby keeps his power tools in the garage we'll be ok.

Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...