UKC

NEWS: Flurry of winter desperates from Guy Robertson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 08 Feb 2008
Guy Robertson has had an exceptional Scottish season so far, with a flurry of desperate new routes and fast repeats of various test pieces. Partnering up with some of the UK's leading winter experts including; Pete Benson, Mark Garthwaite and Ian Parnell, Robertson and friends are showing the way forward for Scottish winter climbing.

Read all the route details and commentary from Norrie Muir:

NEWS: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

ARTICLE & PHOTO'S: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=827
 Ian Parnell 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:
Two IXs and three VIIIs or (one IX and four VIIIs according to Guy) in basically a single month is utterly outstanding, especially as guy has a full time job and a family. And the reason behind this manic activity? Guy's got another kiddie due in March, so he's getting in the routes before full time creche duty.
 Lemony 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: bloody hell, that's inspiring! nice shots too.
 Bob 08 Feb 2008

I thought that Slochd Wall was on the side of Mitre Ridge on Beinn a Bhord? Unless there is another one of course.

A mighty impressive set of routes none-the-less.

boB
 Erik B 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: excellent article and well done to UKC for documenting this important piece of UK climbing history.

Norrie hits the nail on the head with regard to the character of these routes and ascents - long, hard and very committing (both from a climbing and location point of view).
OP Jack Geldard 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Thanks to everyone who helped out with the info, and to Guy and Norrie obviously.

Bob: I'm not sure about that? - I am sure that some-one will tell us soon! I can update it if needed.

Erik: Thanks Erik, it's great that we can document this sort of thing. These routes will be going in the Winter Round-Up in a few months.

Jack
 Bob 08 Feb 2008

It's the only route of that name that I know, plus my Skye guide doesn't have any route listed by that name...

boB
 vscott 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Bob: Indeed it is- on the right hand wall of Mitre Ridge in the Garbh Coire of Bheinn a Bhuird- pretty much as remote as it can get in the UK.
OP Jack Geldard 08 Feb 2008
In reply to vscott: Changed,

Jack
 IanMcC 08 Feb 2008
Don't mean to be picky, but why on Rocktalk forum?
 Wee Davie 08 Feb 2008

Nice piece. I like how this has been put together. It is a nice understated article. This is real news for Scottish winter.
Anybody who has done anything in Scotland in Winter will be aware of how impressive these ascents are and how good the style of ascent was.
Climbing that hard in the Garbh Coire of Beinn a' Bhuird (shortest approach c.15km) is phenomenal.

Davie
 Alex Roddie 08 Feb 2008
Good article, I enjoyed this. Really inspirational and shows the rest of us how the REAL winter climbers spend their time in the hills!
 Michael Ryan 08 Feb 2008
In reply to IanMcC:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor)
> Don't mean to be picky, but why on Rocktalk forum?

All news reports have a associated thread on the RockTalk forum as it is the most popular forum.

Saying that, the News page is now getting 5,000 views a day.

We like to hit all bases and expose news reports, articles etc to as many people as we can.

Mick
 Jamie B 10 Feb 2008

Nice work; good to see these ascents getting the coverage they deserve, even although I'm sure that's not what motivated them.
 Skyfall 28 Feb 2008
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Were you aware that you are attaining a certain sex symbol status with a lot of climbing ladies? It seems that the tops off climbing brigade are being trounced by some rather old fashioned british humour in dire circ's. Erm, you being in the latter category, tho am sure you look totally fab with your top off (jeez - did I really say that?!).

Skyfall 28 Feb 2008
sorry that was so off topic it should be deleted (please!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...