UKC

Taking pics in snowy environment and "washing out"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jaypee 09 Feb 2008
Hey folks,

Lucky enough to be in Chamonix until end of Winter season, and been making most of my new DSLR "toy" which Ive been loving after getting back into photography after nearly two decades out.

The camera (Nikon D300) handles the very high contrasty and bright conditions well, but some pics, especially today when at Aiguille du Midi taking landscapes in clear sunny conditions, tend to look washed out.

Only got a UV filter on at mo and not touching any WB settings. Polariser or ND filter required, any tips most welcome.

Cheers,
Jon-Paul.
 dek 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee: Have you tried pulling in the Black and White 'Levels' points in a photo editing programme? Makes a big difference.Why not set WB to suit the lighting, and keep the iso lowish if its very bright. Post a pic up and we could help you get on track?
 jongriffith 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee: I have my slr set on -1/3 exposures all the time. I find this helps alot. Also when you are setting the exposure try and expose it on the brightest thing. I set mine so that the centre AF point is the metering point and aim it at the brigthest thing there is in the image. As dek also points out you can use the shadow/highlight tools in PS to alter the image.
I stopped using filters a while ago and I dont think they are really necessary but thats a personal preference. I dont think a UV filter is necessary either at 4000m apart from maybe protecting your lens. The polarising filter will enable you to achieve bluer skies but at the expense of a slower shutter speed for a given aperature size- but at the end of the day you're just adding colour to a scene that wasnt there in the first place (again personal preference!).
It took me a while to get used to my digi slr when i first got it and I think like you, I was a bit disappointed at first. Its just a case of getting to know how it captures images and then compensating for it. Much like using a different film or something really. The best thing you can do is just play around with the settings and eventually you will get what you want
good luck
jon
jaypee 09 Feb 2008
Hi Dek,

Sure you guys will recognise the scene!

Cheers for the reply. Posted sample here, sorry for full size image, just converted from RAW to JPG, no cropping,ISO200, left image "as is" so you guys can view and comment. nikon 18-200 VR lens.

http://www.grumpybeard.smugmug.com/gallery/4308435_dLELU#252537216

Auto adjusting the levels in PS brings it back "into line" for me, but image is "blown" and Id like to learn how to get it more "in line" in-camera as it were. Eager to learn!

Thanks very much,
JP.
 jongriffith 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee: ok definitely underexpose your images slightly. Also dont worry too much if images arent as good as you would hope them to be- especially when you are going to do long distance photos (if that makes sense). You need exceptionally clear air to get crisp photos like the one you have taken and that doesnt happen all that much out here. To be honest the winters are so warm for the moment that i really distorts the air- you are far better off shooting early just after sunrise.
 dek 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee: Hi Hope you dont mind. i copied it, brought the blacks in (levels), as they were way out wide, selected highlights , made a new layer,used 'overlay' as a blend at about 75% then flattened it, you can see it herehttp://deksimages.smugmug.com/gallery/4308618_3UKAk
You still have highlight detail, is your monitor adjustment too bright?
jaypee 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jongriffith: Hi Jon, thanks for your time looking at my sample and your comments, will have more play with settings tomorrow when in Courmayeur. Agree about filters etc, would prefer to leave things "natural".

By way love your alpineexposures site, the collective pics and chamonix reports inspirational.

jaypee 09 Feb 2008
Hi Dek,

No worries about copying it, much prefer your version!

Good point about my monitor (laptop screen), Ive not calibrated it nor know how to - ok im a software developer by trade and thus not allergic to utilities and tools, but dont have any for this, must do a search!

Going to preset underexposure by varying amounts when out boarding tomorrow and taking pics and see how that goes, will also have a little play with what you suggest in PS.

Help and advice very much appreciated cheers matey it'll mean a lot to me to get some cracking pics here this season.
 dek 09 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee: Okay, Btw if you are shooting Raw, when you first open at the pic, and its too Light, simply use the raw 'camera exp' control to knock back the exposure untill you like what you see, of up to about +or- 2 stops (a major benefit of raw)!
 radson 11 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee:

I very much agree on using levels.

As an example this picture was very bland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radson/2256216475/in/set-72157603888259611/

but changing the levels really made it pop...IMHO
iceaxe 12 Feb 2008
In reply to jaypee:
Hi, are you using your camera in manual or automatic mode? I always try and get the shot right at the time of taking - checking the camera's histogram is a good idea. With bright light, such as snow I would normally add on a stop to compensate so that the snow comes out white and not grey. I always have a polariser on the end of my lens.
 dek 12 Feb 2008
In reply to iceaxe: Yes cutting the exposure back on snow scenes puzzled me too?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...