UKC

Adam Ondra - Best in the world?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JTatts 11 Feb 2008
Nobody seems to have picked up on this yet but I think this is amazing.

In the past week Adam has climbed two 9a+'s, one 9a and onsighted an 8c. The question has to be asked if he can now be considered the best sports climber in the world?

What's even more amazing is that the kid has only just turned 15 and was taking time off from school. He is still improving at an amazing rate so what he will be doing in a few years time could completely redefine climbing.
 JPGR 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts: Read he just did La Rambla 5th go which is amazing, hadn't heard about the 8c flash and the other 9a+, do you have a source for this as would like to read what he has got up to. 8a.nu are only reporting the one 9a+ at the moment.
OP JTatts 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Jon Redshaw:

La Novena Enmienda, 9a+
F*ck the system, 9a, 3rd go!
Digital system, 8c on-sight

I wish I was talented.
 JPGR 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts:

http://www.czechclimbing.com/

Very talented, just wanted to see where you were reading it from as other sites which are normally pretty hot at reporting news like this hadn't picked up the full story.
 niggle 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts:

Could he be a candidate to finally repeat Akira?
Serpico 11 Feb 2008
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to JTatts)
>
> Could he be a candidate to finally repeat Akira?

Lots of people are potential candidates for Akira already, it's just that none of them are interested in spending time in a dirty cave. Bernabe fernandez's 9b+ Chilam Bilam will probably attract more interest.
 Jus 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts:

Awesome stuff! Him and Patxi should get together for some multipitch action!
OP JTatts 11 Feb 2008
In reply to niggle:
Not at the moment as Akira is the opposite to what Adam is currently good at. He's extremely controlled and manages to climb using the least amount of energy possible. Akira requires huge campus moves between pockets and is a very 'bouldery' style of route.
Give Adam a little time though and I'm sure the power to do this kind of stuff will come.
In reply to JTatts:

He looks pretty powerful here. Awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=rrc2JKEc_bs&
Bogsy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Spiderman unmasked eh?
Incredible!
In reply to Bogsy:

He really is a 'human spider', isn't he?

Here he is p**sing up some ludicrously overhanging climbing wall:

youtube.com/watch?v=xYZJBAdEtTI&
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

On the contrary, I'd say you can see from that video that as 9a climbers go he relies upon faggotry more than power. I think you'd see quite a different style if there was a video of Dani Andrade climbing the same route.

Is it me, by the way, or is that route named after Liverpool's new Czech defender??

jcm
 niggle 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts:

> Akira requires huge campus moves between pockets and is a very 'bouldery' style of route.

Yeah, I've seen video of Rouhling demonstrating the moves and they do seem to be his forte having seen L'Autre Cote du Ciel too. I sometimes thought Malcolm Smith might give it a go - I find it tricky to think of many other climbers who have the sheer power that Akira would take.
In reply to JTatts:

He may be good but it looks to be that hes still got that habitual chalking up going no when he gets a wee rest before the going gets tough. His foot work looks so precise with great "no doubts, i can do this" technique and determination going on. If hes climbing this kinda standard without the pure power of more mature climbers, your right, this kids going to be something else entirely in 5 years time - providing he doesnt get distracted by women, alcohol and drugs... etc. God i sound like his dad.
 Nic 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JTatts:

No doubt Mick will be reporting it as news in 6 months' time...

(on and btw, what's he done on grit?)

Steve McQueen 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Nic: But is it news?? Surely much more interesting to read about someone doing the 52nd ascent of something green in the Peak.
 Cusco 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Steve McQueen:

In both videos in this thread there's some really annoying wailing calls going on in the background. Sound's like the same person. So great videos -but somewhat spoilt by that incessant noise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...