UKC

Keswick Wall - what's it like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 12 Feb 2008
As the waist expands and the biceps get smaller desperation has set in, and it's time to start exercising again.
What's Keswick Wall like for bouldering? Is it all bare-chested boulderers (even in sub zero temperatures) hdoing one-armed pull-ups off tiny crimps, or is there something juggy enough for a fat weak bimbly to hang off for a few minutes? I don't want to turn up and find there's nothing remotely climbable, (will have to be V0 or less), and have to slink off after 10 minutes.

Ridge
 Andy Can 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Ridge: Keswick wall may be the place for you. There's big holds to traverse most of it. Easy routes. Bouldering ladder - set problems from Grade 1 (big easy juggy VO-) to hard stuff which you let the stringy-strongies fall off. Beginners are in plentiful supply from the local outdoor centres (when it rains). I guess they have the cater for the market. Even the wild overhanging cellar wall has 'easy' ways up (within reason).
Good parking too.
Downside - when the weather is poor it can get overrun by outdoor centres during the day.

Worth a try.

from a fellow fat weak bimbly.
 Skinny Pete 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Ridge:

There's a reasonable amount of easy stuff at Keswick. The "official" bouldering area is steep (although has plenty of jugs as well as the crimps) but the majority of the floor is rubber matting and bouldering is allowed aroung the base of the other walls.

The wall is pretty small and feels a bit dated by modern standards - many of the routes are small enough to be soloable. It also feels a bit expensive for it's size but I think this is a result of insurance premiums more than anything. Tends to be friendly and definitely worth a visit though.

The wall in Penrith Leisure Centre is decent and cheap, but has no bouldering. Cockermouth Wall is a good mid-grade training venue (generally vertical bouldering with top-rope anchors if you want) but is an aquired taste! It is normally very quiet and worth visiting for £2.40 to make your own mind up!

Pete
OP Ridge 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Skinny Pete and Big Andy:

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...