UKC

Keswick to Barrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 katherinec85 13 Feb 2008
OK, so I'm doing to Keswick to Barrow this May. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a 40 mile sponsored walk (or run, depending on how fit you are!).
I'm just after any tips and advice from anyone who's done it, or done something similar. Stuff like how much training to do, what sort of training, etc. At the moment, I've just been walking as much as possible and throwing a few runs in here and there.

Thanks
 andy 13 Feb 2008
In reply to kcraig85: Our lass's cousin has taken to winning the women's race - something under 6 hours, fastest bloke usually 4:45 or so. She's a marathon runner so does fairly high mileage. I'd have thought you want to have 3 or 4 runs of 20m+ to be comfy.
 sutty 13 Feb 2008
In reply to kcraig85:

Did it the other way round when I was 16. Took three days with camping gear starting at Millom, over Black Combe to Eskdale camp. Next Burnmoor to Scafell, Scafell Pike, Esk Hause then Borrowdale camp. Had planned to do the Derwent fells but the weather was bad and was tired so just went over to Watendlath then down the road to Keswick. Without camping gear using hostels we would have done it in two days, but at that age we felt we did well.

If you are fairly fit and familiar with the route it should be OK, the road bit at the end could be hard on the feet though if it is wet.

andy 13 Feb 2008
In reply to sutty: This is all on roads, sutts - never seen the attraction myself - hats off to those that do it - looks bloody hard work - I think they walk over Red Bank from Grasmere to Elterwater too.
 sutty 13 Feb 2008
In reply to andy:

When he said sponsored walk I thought it was on the fells, as you say sod the road way.
 Prez 13 Feb 2008
In reply to kcraig85: Hi, I did it a couple of years ago. If you are planning on walking it then you don't need to do a huge amount of training providing you have a decent base level of fitness. I seem to remember doing a couple of 20 - 25 mile walks a few weeks beforehand and that was perfectly sufficient. I think it took me about 10 hours or thereabouts to walk it, but as has been said some lunatics finish in under 5!! There's not a huge amount of height gain and all the tracks are very good so definately reccomend walking it in lightweight trainers, not boots. Good Luck!

Adam
OP katherinec85 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Prez:

Yeah, just bought myself a pair of really lightweight trainers for it. I was hoping to do it in about 10 hours as well - don't know how the runners do it!
 Andy Hobson 14 Feb 2008
In reply to kcraig85:

I did it in about 10 hours when I was 14 so it can't be that hard, ie. no special training required. The ability to just keep going when you're in pain (which you will be after 40 miles on tarmac) is more important.

Keep your feet dry at all costs or you'll suffer. Carry one or two spare pairs of comfy socks and change into them as soon as you start to feel discomfort. Drink lots. Be wary about letting yourself stop for rests towards the end - it gets harder and harder to get going again if you do! Good luck with it - I enjoyed it when I did it.
 Prez 14 Feb 2008
In reply to kcraig85: If you have bought new trainers make sure they are really well worn in before you go, if they're not you will suffer!!
OP katherinec85 14 Feb 2008
In reply to Prez:
Will do - they've already done 25 miles this week so I reckon they'll be good for May. Went for some decent New Balance lightweight walking/running shoes and I reckon they're pretty comfortable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...