UKC

Missing person found & Enduroman Arch to Arc challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sallyp 22 Feb 2008
Hi,

Some of you may remember my son, Blake Hartley (he was a mountaineer,) who went missing two days after his 25th birthday in Chamonix Mont Blanc, France, on the 8th August, 2004. He was leading an Army adventure training expedition when he disappeared without a trace. I spent nearly 3 years looking for him and eventually some remains were discovered in the river L’Arve near Bonneville and a DNA test confirmed that it was Blake. More information about this can be found on his website - www.blakehartley.com. I would just like to take this opportunity of thanking everyone for their help in the search and as I know some of you were following the story I thought you may appreciate being updated on the outcome.

Another bit of news you may find interesting is that my nephew Tom Beaver, who was also a very good friend of Blake’s and a running partner, is going to attempt to run the Enduroman Arch to Arc challenge in September 2008. His challenge is dedicated to Blake and is very appropriate as it finishes in France where Blake tragically went missing. Through sponsorship Tom is hoping to raise huge amounts of money for the charity, Missing People, formerly known as the National Missing Person’s Helpline.

The Enduroman Arch To Arc Triathlon

This is one of the world’s ultimate endurance challenges, The goal is simple to run from the Marble Arch in London to Dover, swim the English channel, and upon landing in France, cycle to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris in the shortest possible time.

The number of miles Tom will be attempting to cover is staggering. It is a 289 mile triathlon starting with an 87 mile run from the Marble Arch to the Dover coast, swimming the English Channel (technically 22 miles but often much more) and then cycling 180 miles from Calais to Paris. It is no wonder that only four people have done it as a solo event; in September 2008 he will be attempting to become the fifth and the youngest.

To put this challenge into context, less people have succeeded in swimming the English Channel than have reached the summit of Mt. Everest. Only 1 in 10 who try, succeed. The swim represents only a fraction of what he is undertaking.

At present the Guinness World Record for this challenge is 82 hours, held by Mr. Eddie Ette founder of Enduroman.

There is more information available on Tom’s website - www.runningbeaver.co.uk and he can be contacted and sponsored through that.

Obviously I feel it is a truly amazing, if slightly crazy, challenge to undertake and therefore worth mentioning.

Thank you again.

Yours truly,

Sally
OP Anonymous 22 Feb 2008
In reply to sallyp:
Hi Sally,

I'm sorry that your search ended sadly, but glad that you aren't left not knowing where he is. I hope you can find the strength to come to terms with what has happened eventually.

Without intruding further, very good luck to Tom in his endeavour.
sallyp 22 Feb 2008
In reply to Anonymous: Thank you, that is very kind of you.
We are finally having a funeral on the 8th March for Blake so hopefully that will bring about some much needed closure.
Sally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...