UKC

Climbing Competitions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chun-Han Chan 05 Nov 2002
I was pootling about (and climbing) at Mile End Wall last night and I spied a wee poster for a bouldering comp...well several comps.

I would like to know more out of curiousity if anything why people have done or want to enter climbing competitions. Is it for
a) the 'sport' of it all (for fun)....
b) to gauge the level you climb at...
c) to see who you can out climb

Luke 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Chun-Han Chan:

That'll be the SIBL then?

In answer to your question, all of the above apply - try it, you might like it.
 Paul Boardman 05 Nov 2002

The only competition I've ever entered is the Salford uni one. This is a friendly comp set over a couple of months. I think most people enjoy it as it gives an incentive to push yourself.
Nikkus 05 Nov 2002
i entered the Mile End bit of the SIBL bouldering comp last year, just as a bit of fun and to see how i was doing climbingwise. it was a great atmosphere, very relaxed and friendly and people of all levels (literally -- some people had only been climbing a couple of weeks) -- should have been great, but i f*cked it up; wasn't on form, and the pressure of having people watch you really put me off.. vowed never to enter a comp again as is obviously not a reliable way of 'testing' my climbing,

(tho will naturally do it again this year, just to see if i can beat last year's piss poor score!)
OP stow 05 Nov 2002

I don't really know much about other comps but I think the SIBL is a pretty special scene. It's relaxed, fun and reltively non-competitive (everyone cheers a good effort -- beta is freely given). I think most people enter just to provide an objective standard of how they are progressing. A lot of people seem to enter with friends just to have a laugh. I personally think it is a great way to hone certain skills that are difficult to train: mental focus, onsighting ability (really giving 100% first go) and problem reading ability. It's really helped my climbing -- give it a go!
 JIMBO 05 Nov 2002
In reply to stow:
When I used to live in Sheffield I entered alot of the winter comps for many of the reasons you stated. It was good training for onsight, focus, dealing with pressure, and fun.
Also when I train I tend to do what I'm good at but in comps you come across different styles and moves that you might shy away from normally. It helps build a broader experience of movement and diversity in dealing with other types of holds.

JIMBO
Chun-Han Chan 05 Nov 2002
To all of the above.
I've only entered a comp once...it was one of those fun ones. I enjoyed once I managed to flash on route...which was my one and only route to be completed!...anyways, I still managed to come second in the womens section...only because only two ladies entered!

Anyways, I think I'll try out the SIBL comps...am very tempted...but I don't think it would be a gauge on my climbing progression really...espesh when the routes are setting my 6'1" gibbons and a sit start (for me at a diddy 5'1") were fecking impossible for alot of the routes!

Am hoping to beat my top score of 10 points this year *l*
 mich 06 Nov 2002

The SIBL is really good fun and you can use it in any way you want! It gives a bit of focus to climbing at a time of year when it is hard to get out and about, you don't have to be really good as there are a wide range of problems, from quite easy ones onwards. You get a t-shirt as part of the entrance fee (well - i did the year i did it)

I was really worried that it would only be for good people, but there was a real mix. But it is nice to have some problems to try out and a reason for trying to do them first time. Definatly go!
francoise 06 Nov 2002

I have not tried yet climbing competitions but recently I have entered swimming races and I find that it gives a good incentive to keep training without hopefully becoming too competitive. It's also a great atmosphere with all levels from national champions to little old ladies.
ian 07 Nov 2002

I don't remember seeing you actually doing any climbing on monday.........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...