UKC

Quickdraw question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CragHead 05 Nov 2002
Which one is better for grit trad:

Wire gate or plain gate? I feel that wire gate doesn't look quite safe (look easy to break) compare to plain gate.
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2002
In reply to CragHead:

The one you are happiest with. They both work - pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Daniel 05 Nov 2002
In reply to CragHead: The wiregate should not open as much if it hits the wall at speed than the normal gate. And wire gates tend to be as strong as or stronger than normal d gates. They also are lighter.

Daniel
Dom Orsler 05 Nov 2002
In reply to CragHead:

Forget the whole wire gate/solid gate thing. It's all an illusion and doesn't matter a jot wrt strength.

Petzl Spirits, on the other hand, have notchless clipping biners, which can make a HUGE difference when making desperate clips at awkward angles on hard sends.
 Bob 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Daniel:

From the DMM website, their wiregates are 8KN strength and weigh around 40 - 45g. The normal gates are 9KN strength and weigh around 50 - 55g.

To save 1Kg in weight you would need to be carrying 100 krabs!

It's all down to personal choice really.

Bob
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Bob:

I don't know why, but wire gates 'feel' to me much lighter than their stated weight - so an 'Alpine' rack with maybe 10 or so krabs total does feel significantly lighter than a rack using solid gates.
Woker 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Bob:
your not looking at the wire locks tho are you... Also not listed all the specs. The wire locks are stronger than the normal gates or atleast they were..

As for the original point interesting, yes this makes a difference, I'd say worth testing on various wire gates before making a purchase, the less they open is a good quality but there are many others to consider...
 TimB 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:

Petzl spirits are a lot easier to clean from steep sport routes too. They seem as light as wiregates, but i reckon that the perceived lightness is due to the higher "chime" you get when wire gates (or spirits) knock together.

To be honest, I find the lack of a notch more of an advantage when unclipping anything. Oh, and they're sooo expensive compared to something like a WC Wild Wire Quickdraw set.

Anyone seen the DMM wirelock things?
Woker 05 Nov 2002
In reply to TimB:
I got um...... I think I only bought them as they seem safer than normal wires, they are very highly spec.ed but I doubt they are really all that much different from any descent wire gates, which are all as good if not better than solid gates of the same spec.

This has been discussed before if you search the forum.....

Woker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...