UKC

rock climbin in new zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ramb0666 07 Mar 2008
hi, me and my family have visa's to live in new zealand and i was wondering if i was any good for climbing, i know that they have some good mountains but iam fiding it realy hard to find places to climb and to find guide books. if you can find any guide books for new zeland for me that will be a great help

chers
 McGuinness 07 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666:

http://www.climb.co.nz/References/GuideBooks/Climbing-Guide-Books.htm

you might find some of these hanging around online. Google the titles.
 JiNTANGL 07 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666:

Castle Hill is the place for you - it's boulder paradise. Try googling Payne's Ford, Twin Stream, Port Hills (all on the S Island) and Whanganui Bay, Wharepapa, and Mangatepopo (N Island). And have a look at the NZAC site. To be honest it's not so great for trad rockclimbing - most people end up having holidays at the Araps in Australia. I'll try and post you some links and I've got some photos if you have a look at the site on my profile. It's an awesome place. I'm all homesick now...
OP ramb0666 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666: oryt thankyou. is ir more sport climbing there then. do they just not like trad over there or is it just not popular? do you know any where near christchurch ? chers
 JiNTANGL 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666:

It's more sport as the rocks limestone and weird pockety volcanic stuff. The Port Hills are right behind Christchurh and there's some good trad stuff there.
 Tom Last 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666:

Tends to be a bit of a mixed effort in places too. Like at Long Beach, Dunedin; essentially a trad crag, but with the odd bolt thrown in for some reason, oh and bolted lower-offs.

Sports routes are often 'entertainingly' bolted too!

As for trad, you could have ten lifetimes worth of new routing in the Darrens.
OP ramb0666 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666: lol chers every one
 GarethSL 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666: 'rock climbin(g) in new zealand'

Cue Broccoligirl!
 GaryK 08 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666:
> hi, me and my family have visa's to live in new zealand and i was wondering if i was any good for climbing, i know that they have some good mountains but iam fiding it realy hard to find places to climb and to find guide books. if you can find any guide books for new zeland for me that will be a great help
>
> chers

I lived in NZ for 12 years, returning to UK 2 years ago, so I have a reasonable idea of what's going on. My typing is crap so if you want some info call me on 01463 259126 and I can fill you in.

Cheers,

Gary
edn 17 Mar 2008
In reply to ramb0666: try the nz alpine club, google it, and youll find a bunch of good contemporary guides

there is rampant development at present so its worth sourcing the local guides as well ie. golden bay climbs, wanaka rock etc

take a full trad rack if you like that sort of thing and theres plenty of good sport climbing depending where you live
 tomster 02 Apr 2008
In reply to ramb0666: you can climb round wanaka we went there when we went to new zealand on holiday. great climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...