UKC

Arc'teryx Dually Belay Parker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 13 Mar 2008
Considering getting one of these, anyone got one?

What do you think?

Cheers
 Damo 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Merlin:

I checked one out in Boulder, CO a few weeks back, side-by-side with the older Fission parka. The Dually seems 'bigger', longer and much lighter, but not as good quality. Puffier than the Fission. It's a very simple design, no frills, not as fitted as the Fission, and I'd have to say it generally looks and feels 'cheaper', but it costs similar. I love Arcteryx and have several garments, but I wasn't impressed. I like clean, simple design, or 'invisible' design, and though the Dually looks clean and simple it didn't seem to have that more subtle quality that Arc traditionally has. I think currently the Patagonia DAS is a better garment for same use.

D
 Jon Wickham 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Merlin: Interesting review of the Dually, and two YouTube clips showing the differing water absorbtion of Primaloft and Arc'teryx Therma Tek. Not exactly scientific, but still interesting.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web07f/ms-ma-arcteryx-dually-belay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3JUX_I1bY&NR=1

youtube.com/watch?v=e-G2wT_Lxt0&
OP Merlin 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Damo: Looking for something light and compressable, the Fission and the DAS are slightly heavier.

Have you used the Rab belay jacket?

Jon Wickham 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Merlin: I have the Rab and I think it is extremely good. My only possible gripe is that it is perhaps a bit thin for some situations, but that is a very subjective thing.
I am tempted by the Dually because of the YouTube clips I posted above.
OP Merlin 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jon Wickham: Yeah that insulation does look pretty nifty especially with global warming melting everything
 Damo 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Merlin:

Have not used the Rab, but I doubt it's as puffy as the Dually. I forgot to mention that the Dually has a different, more 'plastic-y' texture than most belay jackets and feels kind of slipperier. Maybe that's this newfangled insulation, so maybe it really is something special. I don't doubt the Dually sheds water better than most others.

D
 Ander 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Damo: Damo- you mention 'cut'.
Agreed Arcteryx usually have a fab cut, and you say the dually doesn't.

could this be because it's a belay jacket.
Remember belay jackets are intended to be thrown on over everything else- that is likely to be a pretty lumpy and messy thing. A close cut is therefore not likely to be a great thing. Only a thought.
 cliff shasby 17 Mar 2008
In reply to Merlin: snow and rock are doing them for 210 instead of 300..still a lot of dosh but if it does what it says on the tin will be miles ahead of the others...it weighs half as much as my rab summit and can get wet on the inside and out...
cliffy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...