UKC

Outdoor show today-anyone been? any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aller stud 14 Mar 2008
Anyone been to the Outdoor Show today? Any good, advice, tips?!? Am going tomorrow!
 icnoble 14 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud: Any bargains to be had?
 SebCa 14 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud: If it was anything like last year, expect fashion shows, que's and being surrounded by utter DROS, however the rear before when North Face and Berghaus had good stands it was superb...last year resulted me in not bothering this year, shame.
 GarethSL 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Jimbo MSider: agreed, last years was crap, topped off with grown men dressed in green hitting each other with sticks... very swish. The year before was good though.
 Big Steve 14 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud: Im going tomorrow as well, if its as bad as last year it will be the last time I go
The Inappropriate Fruit 14 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud: Not many bargains so don't go to shop. The climbing/ skymaster thing is awesome to watch though and there's a good line up of lectures on tomorrow plus things to do.

The best thing I've seen today? Got to be the girly pink DMM Phantom Krabs!!

No satsumas though.
 Wingnut 15 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud:
Been there both days so far, one more to go. Trying to explain axes to non-climbers, now losing the will to live. Worst bit about today was being griped at by some people exhibiting on another stand about how they don't get enough overtime or a long enough lunch break . . . I don't get paid for this and my lunch break consisted of five minutes to go for a pee while everyone was distracted by the Marines abseiling off the ceiling. Best bit was being ambushed at the end and dragged off to a party by lots of people in cow-print trousers.
 Alyson 15 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud: Not that great for bargains but the lectures and climbing were brilliant. I saw Andy Kirkpatrick, Alan Hinkes and Leo Houlding's lectures and all were worth listening to.

The skymasters challenge was excellent, especially watching Steve McClure demonstrating the route - the guy is just a monkey!
 CarolineMc 16 Mar 2008
In reply to Wingnut:
> Best bit was being ambushed at the end and dragged off to a party by lots of people in cow-print trousers.

And what fetching trousers they were!! Ha ha!!

Sorry you didn't win the coLAB. Still think you should market your goo though. C-:

Chris Tan Ver. L - On the Bog 16 Mar 2008
In reply to Alyson:

Sir Hinkes once accused me of illegally exposing my body! OK! So my t-shirt was a little too short

Alyson 16 Mar 2008
In reply to Wingnut: Ooh, you were the ice-axe handle goo lady? I saw you! Excellent goo. You were very smiley and have the longest hair I've ever encountered!
 Wingnut 17 Mar 2008
In reply to Alyson:
Thank you! Yep, that was me . . . long hair and rather strange axes.

Was always onto something of a loser (trying to convince a 90% non-climbing audience that a new type of ice tool is the best thing since sliced bread never was going to be a winner), but learnt absolutely oodles of stuff and if I ever have to do something like this with serious intent I'll have far more clue as to how to go about it . . . quite a lot of what I was doing worked, but there are some things I'd definitely want to do differently.
Now feeling something of a sense of achievement at having survived it all.
 Wingnut 17 Mar 2008
In reply to CarolineMc:
Yep, excellent trousers . . . thanks for the hugs, you made a knackered little nut very happy!
 Mita 17 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud:

Although I tried to go, I ended up watching my niece in her Lacrosse tournament.... She did really well....

A friend of mine did go and was quite disappointed that some of the main brands and shops were not there with stands this year....

North Face
Blacks
Millets
Scarpa

To mention a few.... Anyone know why?
 Caralynh 17 Mar 2008
In reply to aller stud:

Went yesterday and enjoyed it. I only really went because I wanted to hear Rich talk about Hard Rock, and was curious about the Skymasters thing. Both were great, and it was also good to catch up with people I haven't seen for a while. I wouldn't ever pay for tickets, but as a free day out it was pretty good. Nothing else to do on a rainy Sunday anyway
andycl 17 Mar 2008
Although I tried to go, I ended up watching my niece in her Lacrosse tournament.... She did really well....

A friend of mine did go and was quite disappointed that some of the main brands and shops were not there with stands this year....

North Face
Blacks
Millets
Scarpa

To mention a few.... Anyone know why?

COST! A 6+3 metre stand costs us 8 grand for the floor space alone!! 14K including the stand! We have a smallish area, the companys you mention would need something 6 times ours to showcase products!

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...