UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Proud to be a Bumbly - David Hulme (Full Stottie)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 21 Mar 2008
David Hulme (AKA Full Stottie) takes us on a few historical adventures and realises on the way that perhaps he is a bumbly after all. And actually he quite likes it...

"By now my new friend had produced an accessory which out-bumbled me completely - a magnificently carved Meerschaum pipe. This polished chimney emitted clouds of Rough Shag. I have since been told that this still refers to a popular climbing activity, but none of my contemporaries seem to know what it means..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=832
 beermonkey 21 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Brilliant. One of the best articles I've read on here for a while.
 Mutl3y 21 Mar 2008
In reply to beermonkey: I liked it too. Made me laugh out loud a few times especially top roping from above and thanks to 19th century climbers...

Good one!
dinkypen 21 Mar 2008

Excellent! David, you're a star! More please!
 sutty 21 Mar 2008
In reply to dinkypen:

As you say, more please.

MacNaught-Davis, Ed Douglas, Perrin, and all the others pale when you get items like this. Like ghost writing for Tom Patey.
OP Jack Geldard 21 Mar 2008
In reply to everyone:

Agreed,

Thanks again David - excellent article.

Great fun.

Jack
Bogsy 22 Mar 2008
Absolutely brilliant writing.
Sitting back in my comfy chair raising a mug of Ovaltine to the wheel of life that keeps on turning, absolutley knowing that today's rock tigers will be thinking exactly the same as this in nobbut a few years time
Clauso 22 Mar 2008

Very good indeed! May he forever a bumble be.
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008

Nice surprise for me this - just got back from 2 days working my new project in Derbyshire - think it'll go at 4a+. I can tell it hasn't been done before, because there are no other bolts to be seen nearby on this popular gritstone crag of Stan's Edge (sp.?)

So thanks to you well known UKC posters for your very kind words, and to you Jack for having the courage to publish something in a different genre, for changing a few things including the title, for using some non-pixellated photos, for adding an l to my surname (I'm nearly a part of Manchester) and of course for blowing my cover - how will I manage next time I'm at the crag? All kinds of people will be wanting to look in my lunchbox, to fill my pipe etc.

And finally thanks for your tip about just typing into Google any technical phrase I don't understand - Rough Shag was a bit of an eye-opener.
 Lemony 22 Mar 2008
In reply to full stottie: Just to add to the praise, it was a great read. I aspire to bumbly-dom one day!
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to Lemony:

Ta Lemony. I suspect you have a Dad.
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to sutty:
Thanks Sutty. Now Tom Patey and I met 40 years ago in the gents at the Cairn Hydro Harrogate at a Yorkshire Ramblers Club dinner where he was guest speaker. He admired my sporran, and said "after you".
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to Mutl3y:
So you've done the toprope trick too I see?
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to beermonkey:

and your alias is one of the best. I'd like to have thought of that.
 Lemony 22 Mar 2008
In reply to full stottie: My dad circumvented bumbly-dom by giving up climbing because of an injury. I'm trying to drag him back in so he can realise his true potential.
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to dinkypen:

Star is maybe too kind. I do have asteroids though.
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to Lemony:
Poor excuse. Just tell him to cheat. You could buy a big wall pulley system. It works for me.
 sjbutterworth 22 Mar 2008
In reply to full stottie:

Splendid article. I aspire to be like you.

Signed

A sub-bumbly
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to sjbutterworth:

You might want to check with your psychiatrist.
 Lemony 22 Mar 2008
In reply to full stottie: Excellent, I'll buy a Pro-traxxion just so that he can remain skeptical bout all this fancy modern gear. He's certainly still got some MOACs and a Littlejohn harness somewhere though.
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to Lemony:

You can get a nice cream for the MOACs. I nearly bought a Littlejohn harness once, but the name put me off a bit. Its a man thing....
 Rich Guest 22 Mar 2008

I reckon I'll be thinking exactly the same as that in nobbert a few years time 8)
 full stottie 22 Mar 2008
In reply to Cragrat Rich:

What exactly do you mean by that then? And who's this nob Bert you mention?

That made me laugh so much. Brilliant. Well done David!
 Thrudge 24 Mar 2008
Outstanding stuff! If there's a prize, this article should win it, no question.
the-phantom-rope-holder 25 Mar 2008
At the risk of adding any more weight to this bumbly's ego (and I have my reasons to worry about such things. After all, there are only so many trees at the top of Kyloe positioned in such a way as to allow easily photoshopable topropes), I'll just wade in to the common stream of praise flowing towards this article. Inspired and heartfelt.
 full stottie 25 Mar 2008
In reply to the-phantom-rope-holder:
> At the risk of adding any more weight to this bumbly's ego (and I have my reasons to worry about such things. After all, there are only so many trees at the top of Kyloe positioned in such a way as to allow easily photoshopable topropes), I'll just wade in to the common stream of praise flowing towards this article. Inspired and heartfelt.

Oh how quickly praise turns to abuse in the world of celebrity. Despite the smokescreen alias, I know who you are, and where you store your rope. You've clearly missed the point - Bumblies cheat ALL THE TIME. Its what keeps them bumbling.....

Ian 25 Mar 2008

Accept your lifetime membership for Bumbledom, and don't be shy about giving advice to other climbers

classic
 Flicka 25 Mar 2008

Brilliant, much enjoyed!
mrsmesh 25 Mar 2008

Bumbly Tip 4: Top rope from above to pretend you led it

Bumbly Tip 6: Wear your rope outside the sac for people to see

What a funny guy! thanks for that really enjoyed reading it!

Give us MORE!!!!
Sersh 25 Mar 2008

That article was bloody fantastic! Certainly brightened up my day
mrsmesh 25 Mar 2008
In reply to Sersh:

i was cringing when he talked about trying to fit in at the climbing walls by using a chalk bag and doing the low level traverses. that was so funny lol
 sutty 25 Mar 2008

>Despite the smokescreen alias, I know who you are, and where you store your rope.

I love it when a man of a certain age gets heavy with his mates.
 nwclimber 25 Mar 2008
A splendid piece of writing: my laughter would have been even greater had it not be muted more than somewhat by the pain of recognition!
I very much look forward to your next piece (albeit with some trepidation!).
 full stottie 25 Mar 2008
In reply to mrsmesh:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>

>
> What a funny guy! thanks for that really enjoyed reading it!
>
> Give us MORE!!!!

Funny? It's all true....

full stottie 25 Mar 2008
In reply to mrsmesh:
> (In reply to Sersh)
>
> i was cringing when he talked about trying to fit in at the climbing walls by using a chalk bag and doing the low level traverses. that was so funny lol

I saw you cringing, but I ignored it, as I was on a roll of 3 consecutive moves...
 full stottie 25 Mar 2008
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to full stottie)
>
> >Despite the smokescreen alias, I know who you are, and where you store your rope.
>
> I love it when a man of a certain age gets heavy with his mates.

I've started the diet again, but the enlarged prostate weighs a ton.

Paz 25 Mar 2008

Was quite funny. well done.
 Dave Foster 19 Apr 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Very funny indeed. Especially liked the bit about 19th century climbers and impressive grade descriptions to show off to lay people. I still don't know what a MOAC is though! Go on, Stottie, get yer typewriter out and pen us a collection.
barrowboy 22 Apr 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: How strange it is to see my autobiography ghosted by someone else... great article David! Let's have some more in a similar vein.
 Dave Foster 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Wow! It's a gear nut's paradise. Thank you!
 skeev 25 Apr 2008

Great article David. Although it felt uncomfortably like looking into the not-too-distant future!
 broccoligirl 11 May 2008

Just read this article- what a gem!! Had me giggling away. My Dad isnt a climber, but I can imagine a similar situation going on.... another voice asking for 'more please!!'/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...