UKC

Pete Robins about the DMM Phantom carabiner

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 DMM Wales 28 Mar 2008
premier post photo
"Why use a carabiner that’s twice the size it needs to be? By the time you’ve racked up, you’re carrying twice as much metal round with you. Down size. Lose weight. Let’s face it; carrying Phantoms is a damn load easier than going on a diet.

With the Phantom, DMM have found the perfect combination; being ultra lightweight (only 26g) without compromising in size or safety (3 sigma 23kn gate-closed and 9kn gate-open strengths). I’ve used the Phantoms extensively for over a year and never fumbled a clip, not even with gloves on!

Some trad routes can easily soak up 30 runners. Using Phantoms means I can just load myself up and still get off the deck. I can honestly say I wouldn’t choose any other ‘biner'. "

Pete Robins has been a DMM Sponsored climber for 10 years, and is one of a small group of young climbers from Llanberis North Wales who excel on adventurous trad climbs.

Read more at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=891

Jack Geldard 01 Apr 2008
In reply to Chris Rowlands - DMM:
>
> "Let’s face it; carrying Phantoms is a damn load easier than going on a diet."
>

Genius.
 Rich Cross 01 Apr 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I'll second that.
 Morgan Woods 01 Apr 2008

have tried a mate's....think i'll stick to full size biners.
 David Coley 02 Apr 2008
How much lighter are these compared to the the lightest full-sized ones on the market?
 lithos 02 Apr 2008
In reply to David Coley:

58g for a qd vs 72..75g for a full size one

though of course he should be using camp nano 23s which are 53g for a qd.
OP DMM Wales 03 Apr 2008
In reply to lithos:

It would depend on whether he wanted the extra security of the 9kn gate open as opposed to 7kn !! (as per the article I put in the gear section.) As I have tried to explain we have endeavoured to stay as light as possible without compromising strength. In this case I think it fair to say we have achieved that aim in spectacular fashion.
Best Regards
Chris Rowlands
Brand Manager DMM
 lithos 03 Apr 2008

sorry there should have been a smiley on the end of that

I realise there are trade offs to be made and decisions based on those choices. I'm not dissing them as they are very sweet krabs.

cheers.
OP DMM Wales 04 Apr 2008
In reply to lithos:
Cool. Just wanted to make sure it was obvious what the options were !!Cheers
Chris
Brand Manager DMM
nb290 09 Apr 2008
In reply to Chris Rowlands - DMM: I've replaced all my Shields with Phantoms and would never go back. But in comparison the gate action of the Phantom is much softer. This makes them easier to clip and Phantoms are possibly the fastest cliiping wiregates on the market. This comes at a price, however: Phantoms sometimes clip accidentally when pushed against tight ropes, belay loops, gear loops or tight slings, something that never happened with Shields. Apart from the soft gate action Phantoms are perfect, though, in my experience.
 AJM 13 Apr 2008

30 runners......!

Beats my record per pitch of a mere 14 or so, and beats my mate's record of about 18 (in a 20m pitch

AJM
Paul F 13 Apr 2008

Chris, any news on the Ultra O screwgates? I need to replace some Petzl OK's but would prefer to support our local climbing industry. When are they in the shops?

ps website says autumn/winter 07
http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?id=3&id2=185
OP DMM Wales 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Paul F:

Hi Paul,
Unfortunately the Ultra O is a little delayed due to pressure of other projects going through. Sadly some products can take a little longer than we first intended as other things pop up ! Realistically the biner won't make an appearance until the end of the summer but it will be a better product for the wait. Apologies for the delay

Chris Rowlands
Brand Manager DMM
Paul F 14 Apr 2008

I understand it's a niche product. I'll hang on for it. Thanks for the update.
 tom84 15 Apr 2008
In reply to Chris Rowlands - DMM: they sound great- could you send me 2 dozen so i can try them myself? ta

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...