UKC

Washing Ropes (again - sorry)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon_Warner 31 Mar 2008
I know this gets discussed all the time, and ive read the UKC FAQ, but i still have a couple of questions before i put my pride and joy (and lifeline) in the machine..

First off, is it ok to wash it at 40C ??? my machine does not go lower.
Secondly, there is some scum left in the soap tray, does i require a thorough clean / is there any chance of washing powder damaging the rope?
Thirdly, how mangled does it get? any good tips to prevent knots

If you've found articles which hold this info please point them out!
 The Crow 01 Apr 2008
In reply to John_Warner:

1. Yes.
2. It might strip any dry treatment a little, no it won't damage the rope.
3. Chain coil it - but only 3 or 4 strands, a really short chain coil unbalances your washing machine.

Tim, the Grey 01 Apr 2008
In reply to John_Warner: Mine got washed at 40degrees. They all worked fine.
I put it in a pillow case or similar, or just loose in the drum.

This is after many times of rinsing in the bath...
 Merlin 01 Apr 2008
In reply to John_Warner: Whats the crack with the re-dry treatment stuff? Does that go in the wash with it too?
 jkarran 01 Apr 2008
In reply to Merlin:

> Whats the crack with the re-dry treatment stuff? Does that go in the wash with it too?

Does it not have instructions on the bottle?
jk
 Merlin 01 Apr 2008
In reply to jkarran: I'd expect so, but I've not bought any yet.
 tlm 01 Apr 2008
In reply to John_Warner:

Why don't you just take the drawer out and give it a good wash? Most drawers have a bit that you can press down which lets you take them right out of the machine, so that you can rinse them in the sink....

I always think the untangling bit is all part of the fun. You wait until you come to hang it up to dry!!!!
 Horse 01 Apr 2008
In reply to John_Warner:

Are you sure you read teh UKC FAQ?

It covers those points.
OP Jon_Warner 01 Apr 2008
In reply to Horse: Hi, yes i read your FAQ, it was very helpful. But i'm a student, i don't know what a cold wash is!! apart from that i was reassuring myself that if there was any leftover crud in the machine that it wouldnt pose a safety risk!

Anyway, it's out now. And somehow it was completely tangle free from the pillowcase

In reply to John_Warner: I wash the ropes at work on a almost weekly basis, got concrete all over them this week, wash em at 40 deg c and I find it a good excuse to feel for abnormalities while untangling it
OP Jon_Warner 02 Apr 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
> got concrete all over them this week,

That can't be good for them at all!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...