UKC

Ice Factor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tombo1983 02 Apr 2008
I know i posted about this a long time ago but i wonder what things are like up there now?

About 2 years ago i went up to scotland and had a blast on their ice wall and was thinking about going again.

Was just wondering if anyone had been up recently and could comment on the experience?
 Bill Davidson 02 Apr 2008
In reply to Tombo1983:

It'll be the same as last time, great facility but the staff are a bit dodgy!
 Caralynh 02 Apr 2008
In reply to Tombo1983:

I went a month ago and had a great time. Initially I thought 2hrs wasn't that long, until I realised how knackering it is! I found it very useful as practise for the real thing as well - much more so than plastic-pulling is for rock. I'd definitely go again if I were up that way and conditions in the hills weren't great.
Tombo1983 02 Apr 2008
Thanks for the input guys, I am pretty confident that i'll give it another bash. I'm only gonna be around the corner in Glen Coe anyway so why not?
Reese 03 Apr 2008
Its my local wall so I am a tad bias, but its not got boring yet
 dunnyg 04 Apr 2008
In reply to Reese: Is there any indoor ice climbing further south (ie yorkshire ish) and if so which is the best place. (complete beginner to ice climbing, never used crampons or axes in my life)
 MikeLell 05 Apr 2008
In reply to dunnyg: Theres an ice wall in manchester, not particularly big I've read though, maybe 8 m high. Ive heard of one in Leeds too but unsure if it still exists.
Reese 05 Apr 2008
In reply to dunnyg: urgh not sure, so many rumours of ice walls further south but haven't been to any. My best mate climbs at one near or around Leeds/Bradford area, other than that I am at a loss sorry.
 Caralynh 05 Apr 2008
In reply to dunnyg:

Xscape Castleford. Not been there, and I know it's smaller than the Ice Factor (and not sure you can take your own kit and use it without instruction)
 tanssop 05 Apr 2008
In reply to Tombo1983:

Castleford one is no more unfortunately. The one at Manchester is ok but smaller than ice factor and the one that was at castleford.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...